Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Every year for the past 6 on the Tuesday night of the ROGERS Cup I fight my my way from downtown up to York.....target getting there about 5:30 to grab a bite before the evening sessions begin at 7......nice to know this is the last year of it being such a hassle.

Every year for the past 6 on the Tuesday night of the ROGERS Cup I fight my my way from downtown up to York.....target getting there about 5:30 to grab a bite before the evening sessions begin at 7......nice to know this is the last year of it being such a hassle.
Now there's something I never thought of. Going to see a decent tennis game won't be such a colossal pain in the ass. *Ok. I'll drop you guys here while I drive - a million miles to park and walk back.*

Is getting to York from downtown difficult? I've done it a few times at many different times of day including PM peak, and always found it one of the better transit trips in the city. You just get to Line 1, head up to Sheppard West, and hop on a 196 to campus. The 196 is an amazing route, it's blisteringly fast due to the dedicated bus lanes on Dufferin then the busway to York. I was in Sheppard West recently and I even saw signs for a Rogers Cup shuttle bus--I'd presume it takes the same bus lanes and busway and just takes you more directly to the part of the york campus with the games. Mind you, the 196 stops at a pretty central location, I don't think it would be too long of a walk from there.

Now there's something I never thought of. Going to see a decent tennis game won't be such a colossal pain in the ass. *Ok. I'll drop you guys here while I drive - a million miles to park and walk back.*

Parking at such a major event would obviously be unwise. People coming from the south, or from the east/west via the 401, could park at Sheppard West, Wilson, or Yorkdale and take the TTC. People coming from the north or from the 407 admittedly don't have many good options save maybe parking at Finch and taking the 199B, but the TTC service to York is excellent for transit riders.

Other than to be a jerk, what was the point of this?
Heh well don't worry too much about a forumer who feels the need to state his name and location in a signature after every post, as if this is an irate "Letters to the Editor" section.
Ok ok, back on topic for real: does anyone know the latest estimate for ridership on the U-S portion of the line post-extension? I'm wondering if it's going to feel a lot more like the Yonge side of Line 1.

My Mom volunteers at the Rogers Cup, and says that this year they have been making a fair amount of announcements reminding people that the event will be subway-accessible next year.

My Mom volunteers at the Rogers Cup, and says that this year they have been making a fair amount of announcements reminding people that the event will be subway-accessible next year.
Never heard one on the night I was there....in fact, the guy I was with asked me if I thought the subway would be well used for the event and make much of a difference and I answered...."well, not if they don't spend any time or money telling people about it".

Never heard one on the night I was there....in fact, the guy I was with asked me if I thought the subway would be well used for the event and make much of a difference and I answered...."well, not if they don't spend any time or money telling people about it".
The TTC seems to be making an effort to inform pole for the last month or so I have seen ads for the various stations on the TYSSE.
36590947586_083b261138_z_d.jpg

36241042080_d06a1b1fcc_z_d.jpg

At least they are informing people on the trains. I checked the project page on the TTC website earlier which was last updated in March apparently. It should go well though I do foresee a few issues relating to the emergency response.

Anyone know how they will respond to emergencies outside Toronto's borders? I doubt a Chief Super could make it to an incident in a reasonable amount of time if something minor happens.

At least they are informing people on the trains. I checked the project page on the TTC website earlier which was last updated in March apparently. It should go well though I do foresee a few issues relating to the emergency response.

Anyone know how they will respond to emergencies outside Toronto's borders? I doubt a Chief Super could make it to an incident in a reasonable amount of time if something minor happens.
I believe they have trained the various emergency workers in Vaughan how to work in the subway. I wound think that they may have a supervisor stationed at Vaughan that will be able to get to the stations in the extension to deal with minor incidences.

I believe they have trained the various emergency workers in Vaughan how to work in the subway. I wound think that they may have a supervisor stationed at Vaughan that will be able to get to the stations in the extension to deal with minor incidences.

No doubt they will. I cannot see them waiting a half hour or more for a supervisor while a homeless guy refuses to get off the train at VMC (I have seen it happen where a guy smelled like turd and was I assume homeless). I have a suspicion they may treat the TYSSE like they did when the University line opened in 1963. Ridership was so low at the time they shut it down and turned trains back at Union when it was not busy.

I wonder if they will cut service back to Downsview late evening like they did when they turned trains at Eglinton during the North Yonge work.

No doubt they will. I cannot see them waiting a half hour or more for a supervisor while a homeless guy refuses to get off the train at VMC (I have seen it happen where a guy smelled like turd and was I assume homeless). I have a suspicion they may treat the TYSSE like they did when the University line opened in 1963. Ridership was so low at the time they shut it down and turned trains back at Union when it was not busy.

I wonder if they will cut service back to Downsview late evening like they did when they turned trains at Eglinton during the North Yonge work.

I don't at all see that happening. York Region paid a substantial amount of money for the expansion, as did the Province, predicated on that it would be operated properly by the TTC. Short turns/reduced frequency, sure, but absolutely zero chance whatsoever that they say "trains until 1AM to Sheppard W, trains until 10PM to VMC" or similar.

I don't at all see that happening. York Region paid a substantial amount of money for the expansion, as did the Province, predicated on that it would be operated properly by the TTC. Short turns/reduced frequency, sure, but absolutely zero chance whatsoever that they say "trains until 1AM to Sheppard W, trains until 10PM to VMC" or similar.

True but is also not cost effective to run trains to VMC at 1 am. How many people do you think will honestly be travelling to Vaughan at 1 am?

It would be perfectly reasonable to replace the subway service from Steeles West to VMC with shuttle buses after 11 pm on Fridays / Saturdays / evenings before public holidays, and after 10 pm on the evenings before workdays. Same goes for the whole Sheppard subway. The op costs would go down, with a minor inconvenience to the few riders.

Back