Toronto Bayview Village Redevelopment | 113.99m | 30s | bcIMC | DIALOG

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
2901 BAYVIEW AVE
Ward 24 - North York District

►View All Properties

Bayview Village development including two principal development sites (North and South). North site to include 1 nineteen storey mixed use building; 2 six storey mixed use buildings; and a retail addition to the existing Bayview Village Shopping Centre (372 dwelling units, 8,796.0 square metres commercial. South site includes 2 mixed use buildings (28 and 33 storeys); and a five storey parking structure (760 dwelling units and 4,881 square metres of commercial).

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 17 208789 NNY 24 OZ Jul 31, 2017 Under Review

Link: https://www.futureofbvshops.com/

Renderings:
01-vision-5-bg.jpg
02-plans-2-bg.jpg
02-plans-2a-bg.jpg

Attachments

• 01-vision-5-bg.jpg
    01-vision-5-bg.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,060
  • 02-plans-2a-bg.jpg
    02-plans-2a-bg.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 4,087
  • 02-plans-2-bg.jpg
    02-plans-2-bg.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 4,545
Last edited:
Oh LMFAO on that last rendering,.... notice how TTC Bayview subway entrance doesn't seem to be directly connected to Bayview Village,... just to an outdoor open plaza.

About 20 years ago during construction for Sheppard Subway line, there was the option to build a TTC entrance at the bottom of this hill (left side of image below - TTC Bayview subway street-level entrance is at top of hill) that would feed directly to Bayview Village,.... but Bayview Village management didn't want it!
BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg

City/TTC/Province would have paid for the TTC BayviewVillage entrance at bottom of hill but Bayview Village management didn't want it and the hill is on their property!,.... so all these years I like many others have been risking life and limb climbing up and down that slippery hill from Bayview subway entrance (at top of hill) - trust me, don't try in icy winter condition!

Notice: ARC condo (light blue colour cruise ship shaped condo) was later required to build the stairway adjacent the hill with full public access (Privately Owned Public Space) as part of their Section37 Community Benefits.

Bayview Village mall management didn't want "those type of people" at Bayview Village,... ie TTC subway users! Nor cyclists! Bayview Village management was afraid TTC users & cyclists would diminish their "high end" mall brand!

But now that Bayview Village is going condo, the condo buyers will want direct subway connections! And Bayview Village Mall management still doesn't seem to be eager for direct subway connection for their mall,....

Oh, I can't wait to see the bike parking requirement here,... especially since City recently bumped it up from 1 to 7.5 bike parking spot for every 10 condo units.

Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Do/July-2016/Towers-for-Bayview-Village-shopping-centre/

As I recall, we discussed some of this stuff last year,... so there should already be an existing thread on this,... but I can't find it.

Attachments

• BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg
    BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,355
  • Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg
    Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 3,180
Last edited:
Update:
An application for Zoning Bylaw amendments and an Official Plan Amendment was submitted to the City of Toronto yesterday, to redevelop a significant portion of the parking lots at North York's Bayview Village Shopping Centre. Submitted on behalf of property owner QuadReal (a branch of bcIMC), the project aims to intensify and modernize the complex by extending the site's built form out to Sheppard Avenue, and adding up to five new Hariri Pontarini Architects and DIALOG-designed buildings with over 1,000 residential units and new mall space. While supporting documentation accompanying the submission has yet to appear, a website outlining the redevelopment concept provides context.

While this proposal does represent a higher and better use of the existing property, it does not represent its highest or best use.

The desire to retain the existing mall foot print is one we've seen before (I'm looking at you Eglinton Square).

It's really unfortunate. To be clear this isn't an anti-mall rant. It is rant about lazy intensification that to my mind represents neither good urban planning nor good shareholder ROI.

Any tear down could be done in phases, and wouldn't necessarily be wholesale.

But a proper plan for a site like this asks "What would we do if the site were vacant?" The answer looks a lot different than this proposal.

Clearly from an owner's perspective, I can see not wanting to interrupt existing cash flow, and not spend more than needed to enhance returns.

That said, a reconceived site here could hold a good deal more density, both commercial and residential and yield a much higher return for its owners.

The highest or best use for any existing site usually isn't even remotely possible. You have to work within the limits of what's economically feasible, and this proposal seems to do that very well.

What I would like to see though is moving that Loblaws right up to the street. I'm sure they (the store) want that to happen so they can get more traffic. It benefits them and it benefits the community as well.

The highest or best use for any existing site usually isn't even remotely possible. You have to work within the limits of what's economically feasible, and this proposal seems to do that very well.

What I would like to see though is moving that Loblaws right up to the street. I'm sure they (the store) want that to happen so they can get more traffic. It benefits them and it benefits the community as well.
Will be difficult as I think Loblaws doesn't own the strip of land along Sheppard.

How many large supermarket can afford to be right on street level of a major arterial road in a high density urban area,.... and establish themselves there long term (ie: WholeFoodsMarket on Yonge Street @ HullmarkCenter won't last!). Even most of the newer Loblaws in urban areas are built into second floor where it's cheaper (only exception is Loblaws flagship MapleLeafGardens store).

Will be difficult as I think Loblaws doesn't own the strip of land along Sheppard.

Do they own their part of the mall, or are they just a tenant? If it's the latter (or even if it's the former) it should be no problem moving.

How many large supermarket can afford to be right on street level of a major arterial road in a high density urban area

I didn't say "right on street level". I said "up to the street", as in not being tucked away behind a ton of other stores. When you look at most grocery stores, that's where they are - for Loblaws specifically, look at the Madison Centre, North York Centre, Maple Leaf Gardens, Richmond & Peter, Queen & Portland, and King & Shaw.

I didn't say "right on street level". I said "up to the street", as in not being tucked away behind a ton of other stores. When you look at most grocery stores, that's where they are - for Loblaws specifically, look at the Madison Centre, North York Centre, Maple Leaf Gardens, Richmond & Peter, Queen & Portland, and King & Shaw.

First, Bayview Village Mall isn't some condo podium hoping to score a Loblaw CityMarket store,... Bayview Village Mall is a successful high end shopping mall. BTW, for someone from North York Centre who post here regularly, you should not be confusing "Madison Centre" with "The Madison at Yonge and Eglinton",.... nor "North York Centre" for "EmpressWalk".

Huh? So you think high end Bayview Village Mall would want a Loblaws front and centre,.... fully visible?? For everyone to see???? They'll going to keep the Loblaws hidden and isolated from the rest of Bayview Village Mall so regular folks (especially those who use TTC and cycle) stay out of their fancy high-end mall. Think about it,... where's the LCBO - in the back. Where's the ShopperDrugMart - in the back basement! Any of their large tenants that cater to regular folks gets hidden from the main arterial street into the back and side,.... and away from the main part of Bayview Village Mall; sure these are the (mini) anchor tenants that draw in foot traffic,.... but Bayview Village don't want these regular folks stepping foot in their fancy mall.

Here's Bayview Village Mall directory-map,....
http://www.bayviewvillageshops.com/map

And this strategy works! Bayview Village Mall is consistently amongst the top revenue per square foot high performance retail mall in the country,.... and they'll charge high rent for it too! This in a world where it seems every other regular mall is half empty on the verge of being abandoned! Many of Bayview Village mall tenants are specialized high end stores with only one store or a few stores in Canada.

Bayview Village mall is so snotty it hides the public library!,.... and I'm not referring to Chapters.

Last edited:
I would hope to see from this expansion a proper Shopper's Drug Mart that includes groceries instead of the current store that is 90% cosmetics and a small pharmacy in the basement. They also really need their own exterior access so they can expand the hours (ideally 24-hours) instead of the restrictive mall hours.

I would hope to see from this expansion a proper Shopper's Drug Mart that includes groceries instead of the current store that is 90% cosmetics and a small pharmacy in the basement.

Why do they need to sell groceries when there's already a supermarket (owned by the same company) in the mall?

Back