News   Apr 17, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I thought the approved 427 extention had a slight north WEST direction to it.

25720-89747.jpg

Making a network of highways only promotes urban sprawl. I say we should connect the 400 to 404 with the Bradford bypass to ease congestion and maybe extend the 404 to meet with Highway 11 for cottages.
my understanding was that it was considered likely to be tolled given its high construction costs.
They'll have to determine how profitable is the current 407 EAST/412/418 network before they'll even consider building another toll freeway. The 407 EAST is built in quite an rural area. I doubt they have 1/10th of the traffic the 407 is receiving between the 427 and 400.

High construction cost is due to the number of overpasses and interchanges. A rural freeway is much cheaper than an urban one. Property also contributes to that cost. By announcing a prefer alignment 15-30 years before construction. MTO can secure a lower property price as no one wants to deal with a farm with a highway in the middle. MTO has deployed this tactic for the last 50 years by screwing the landowner. The 413 should cost less per km as the number of actual interchanges required is much lower than the 407 EAST.

I thought the approved 427 extention had a slight north WEST direction to it.

25720-89747.jpg
No big deal. A 427 extension up north can serve Bolton and all the community parallel to Highway 50. It needs to curve there as it's much more difficult to go straight up the current 427 location with protected conservation land just past Bolton.

I envision the 427 eventually meeting with Highway 11 around Orillia. MTO always wanted to either expand Hwy 11 to a 6 lane full freeway or bypass the entire stretch which they can do with the 427.

I envision the 427 eventually meeting with Highway 11 around Orillia. MTO always wanted to either expand Hwy 11 to a 6 lane full freeway or bypass the entire stretch which they can do with the 427.

Another idea would be to extend 427 to where the 400 curves at Hwy. 93. The 400 north from there could be renumbered as 400, and the proposed Hwy. 11 bypass could be the new 400..

Pure fantasy, but extend 427 parallel to 400.
It goes around the west side of Barrie, with an interchange with highway 26.
It meet highway 400 at highway 93.

Option A
Follows hwy 400 to about Moonstone Road
Joins in with highway 11 at roughly highway 169.
or
Continues parallel to highway 11 to Gravenhurst.

Option B
Follows hwy 400 to just north of Waubaushene.
Makes its way over to hwy 11 at Gravenhurst.

427.jpg

Attachments

• 427.jpg
    427.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 1,601
not sure if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but what is going on with the 401/dvp interchange? Are they just rehabbing that section of bridge or are they widening it?

not sure if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but what is going on with the 401/dvp interchange? Are they just rehabbing that section of bridge or are they widening it?
Nothing major, just minor fixes to the bridges/overpasses. I which they were widening it or reconfiguring it completely (never happening soon).

Nothing major, just minor fixes to the bridges/overpasses. I which they were widening it or reconfiguring it completely (never happening soon).

-_-...man...it's been just rubble and construction for months.... I actually was a bit optimistic....but come to think about the pace....if theyre taking THIS long just to do "minor" repairs imagine how many decades it would take to do a reconfig
if it ever happens...

-_-...man...it's been just rubble and construction for months.... I actually was a bit optimistic....but come to think about the pace....if theyre taking THIS long just to do "minor" repairs imagine how many decades it would take to do a reconfig
if it ever happens...
Would a 2-lane, 6 flyover, 4 level stack interchange even be possible for this interchange reconfiguration? Or even efficient?

I feel like the main bottleneck is the 6 lanes of the DVP, it should be at least 8 or 10 lanes down to Lawrence/Eglinton.

The biggest and most painful bottleneck is the sb 404 - DVP connection. If they fixed that, a lot of issues would disappear. Northbound from the DVP operates fine. Extend the HOV down to York Mills, and make the 401 off ramp portion 3 lanes instead of 2.

Would a 2-lane, 6 flyover, 4 level stack interchange even be possible for this interchange reconfiguration? Or even efficient?

Oh absolutely, if you have the money to build it and drivers have the patience to sit through years of construction and retrofits to configure the thing. Plus NIMBYs that will complain that the 4 level high monster would be urban blight.

Could look something like this one in Houston, I-10 being the 401:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.784512,-95.5632596,1045m/data=!3m1!1e3

Oh absolutely, if you have the money to build it and drivers have the patience to sit through years of construction and retrofits to configure the thing. Plus NIMBYs that will complain that the 4 level high monster would be urban blight.

Could look something like this one in Houston, I-10 being the 401:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.784512,-95.5632596,1045m/data=!3m1!1e3
How many $B would this cost?

I know this is extremely unlikely and never happening, but how well would a full Highway 2A to Gardiner and north to Hwy 407 do to alleviate the 404/401/DVP interchange?

Back