Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Agreed. The building of the (much needed) East Bayfront LRT would not necessarily get the Portland's built. However having the Portlands built, or coming, makes a strong case for the LRT even stronger.

Exactly, and I think it's also worth noting that an LRT to the Porlands is literally impossible without the completion of this project.

Personally, I think this is the most exciting development in Toronto urbanism in my lifetime (at least assuming it's carried out mostly as planned without meddling from Mammoliti types or future Mayor Ford).

Personally, I think this is the most exciting development in Toronto urbanism in my lifetime (at least assuming it's carried out mostly as planned without meddling from Mammoliti types or future Mayor Ford).
Hey, that gives me an idea: maybe we can put the giant flagpole in the port lands! Just gotta arrange a shady deal with the TPA first.

Hey, that gives me an idea: maybe we can put the giant flagpole in the port lands! Just gotta arrange a shady deal with the TPA first.

In case one has forgotten, that was in the DoFo Ferris Wheel WT takeover scheme - From Matt Elliott:

portlands25.jpg

http://fordfortoronto.mattelliott.ca/2011/09/07/a-visual-journey-through-doug-fords-port-lands/

Two, in fact.

AoD

Last edited:
Next photo op features both a shirtless Mammoliti and a shirtless Trudeau?

Please - don't forget about DMW - posed holding one onto one of Claude Cormier's Sugar Beach sun umbrellas, relocated just for the occassion....

In case one has forgotten, that was in the DoFo Ferris Wheel WT takeover scheme -

Two, in fact.

AoD

That design is so woefully designed for the area's urbanistic and environmental issues (not to mention its overall shadiness), but I actually like the panache that the marina, the two gateway towers and even the fountain bring.

Toronto is still a city that has a deficit of grand urbanistic gestures.

That design is so woefully designed for the area's urbanistic and environmental issues (not to mention its overall shadiness), but I actually like the panache that the marina, the two gateway towers and even the fountain bring.

Toronto is still a city that has a deficit of grand urbanistic gestures.

You will get it in the form of the extended Broadview Ave. through East Harbour and the Portlands terminating at the Hearn - while allowing for a naturalized Don Mouth. That's probably as big an urban gesture without being kooky. So now you have a major new rail station/transit complex, a commercial/retail node with serious density in the right place, and a grand avenue. I'd say we landed in the right place.

AoD

Hey all long time watcher of this thread and everything to do with the port lands redevelopment. I was looking at the plans and it seems to be that there is an issue with no enough residential development down there. So much of the plan for this area leaves lots of room for film production and port operations. I was unaware that port operations are so big in Toronto and secondly film operations although beneficial by my knowledge are left empty most of the year. I just worry with a project of this magnitude that we are over compensating for production and port yards but under utilizing the land for residential.

Hey all long time watcher of this thread and everything to do with the port lands redevelopment. I was looking at the plans and it seems to be that there is an issue with no enough residential development down there. So much of the plan for this area leaves lots of room for film production and port operations. I was unaware that port operations are so big in Toronto and secondly film operations although beneficial by my knowledge are left empty most of the year. I just worry with a project of this magnitude that we are over compensating for production and port yards but under utilizing the land for residential.

From the April WTDRP: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/...&CACHEID=d9aff305-ac59-4e22-886f-a281bf1fe3dd

upload_2017-6-29_12-49-20.png

It's bit of a balance between different interests (TPA, TPLC, Film Industry, Industry at large) - and things will evolve further down the road as the area matures. The main move is the Villers Island/Don Mouth and Broadview Extension - these are enabling. The peripheral space south of the channel and to the east will remain predominantly industrial.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-29_12-49-20.png
    upload_2017-6-29_12-49-20.png
    970.8 KB · Views: 505
From the April WTDRP: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/...&CACHEID=d9aff305-ac59-4e22-886f-a281bf1fe3dd

View attachment 113511

It's bit of a balance between different interests (TPA, TPLC, Film Industry, Industry at large) - and things will evolve further down the road as the area matures. The main move is the Villers Island/Don Mouth and Broadview Extension - these are enabling. The peripheral space south of the channel and to the east will remain predominantly industrial.

AoD

Thanks for that. Yes I guess the main concern is villiers Island right now I just hope that is not the only residential use the the entire portlands in the future

Agreed. The building of the (much needed) East Bayfront LRT would not necessarily get the Portland's built. However having the Portlands built, or coming, makes a strong case for the LRT even stronger.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing ends up being expected to depend on 514. I mean, look at Liberty Village.

... secondly film operations although beneficial by my knowledge are left empty most of the year.
Television and film production in Toronto are now pretty much year-long. Things slow a tad in the winter (definitely less outdoor and location shooting due to the weather) but the city has been enjoying a long run of steady work. Ten years ago or more, yes - film and TV was certainly more of a seasonal thing. Not any more.

As I understand it, the future of the Portlands is destined to be mixed - industry, commercial/retail, residential and parkland. It's important for the city's future that a good percentage of the area be retained for employment purposes - and this is an industry that tends to pay well - also a good thing for Toronto's economy.

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-29_15-4-42.png
    upload_2017-6-29_15-4-42.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 307
  • upload_2017-6-29_15-5-13.png
    upload_2017-6-29_15-5-13.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 419

Back