Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Quick question for anyone that knows......who owned the land the MSF is being built on and how was it acquired by the project.

I don't have a view on the solution - but here's the issue. Because the LRT will terminate at Steeles rather than further north, every LRT passenger will be required to alight and transfer to some other route at that one stop. That means the pedestrian count projections for the Steeles-Hurontario intersection are inflated by the entire projected LRT ridership. The challenge for the transportation people is to design a traffic light configuration that gives enough time in the cycle for all those pedestrians to cross the intersection (twice, since virtually all will head for Gateway, which is a full diagonal). The numbers are high enough that the only viable solution is a pedestrian tunnel.

If the LRT were to continue further north - on any route, I'm not trying to ignite that debate - that number of pedestrians could be reduced from pedestrian flows at the intersection.

Perhaps the tunnel is desirable anyways for the long run, but here's an example of where COB's decision to not accept the LRT beyond Steeles has a tangible incremental cost.

- Paul

Not only would there be fewer passengers getting on/off the LRVs here, if the station was on the north side of Steeles, the pedestrian crossing would be very simple, and there would be two of them (at Steeles, and at the existing bus exit).

Quick question for anyone that knows......who owned the land the MSF is being built on and how was it acquired by the project.

From page 13 (page 26 in PDF) of this report:
Site 14 is located on Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) property between the Highway 407 TransitWay (and Highway 407 itself) to the north, and a small utility corridor and a major Hydro One corridor to the south.

In terms of the cost, those details are provided on page 18 (page 31 of the PDF) in the report.

Here is a rendering of the LRT stop at Cooksville Go Station with Pedestrian Bridge in the background.
My reaction as a future Eglinton Crosstown user comparing this to the crap being offered on Xtown:
I-want-to-go-to-there.jpg

The city is planning on scraping the round-about on Duke of York when the LRT is to be built.

Yet in Mesa, AZ, they are planning on running their LRT through one
upload_2017-6-14_9-56-49.png
593ef2d0e9901.image.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-14_9-56-49.png
    upload_2017-6-14_9-56-49.png
    68 bytes · Views: 235
The city is planning on scraping the round-about on Duke of York when the LRT is to be built.

Yet in Mesa, AZ, they are planning on running their LRT through one

I see in Arizona that there are railway crossing arms though, and the HuLRT won't have any (correct me if I'm wrong).

I see in Arizona that there are railway crossing arms though, and the HuLRT won't have any (correct me if I'm wrong).
whether they have them generally or not.........why could they not have them in that one location by the roundabout......that Arizona solution looks pretty slick.

whether they have them generally or not.........why could they not have them in that one location by the roundabout......that Arizona solution looks pretty slick.

The LRT in Phoenix runs every 12-15 minutes. It has just under 50,000 riders per day after 7 years of use (on a 42 km route). So there is not much of an impediment to traffic.

Hurontario LRT is starting at 5-10 minute frequencies and may get more frequent if demand warrants. It is only 20km in length and after 7 years of use is expected to have 100,000 riders on a weekday (I think this is a bit high...more likely 75,000 riders). With this volume and potential growth in volume as well the roundabout solution would cause huge delays constantly in Mississauga.

The roundabout may work on LRT lines that are underused (and should not have been built given the volume) but not on lines that are heavily used.

You will find gates where the LRT runs in their own ROW from what I have seen so far in the US.

The issue of us having gates has been raised a few times at TTC meetings and got shot down.

Even with gates in the US, clueless driver crash into them or go around them like they do at RR crossing.

One has to take into consideration is the gap between LRV going in both direction, not just the headway.

As it been noted on the UPX line, service is every 15 minutes each way, but cross roads or arrive at stations every 7-9 minutes. This line will be about every 3-5 minutes.

Added:
I should note the ridership will be far less as plan in 7 years and between 50-75,000 only.

Phoenix is a success story from day one to the point it has exceeded all benchmark for ridership 15-25 years ahead of schedule, expansion is happening years and decades ahead of schedule and the just order another 11 Siemens S70 cars. Development along the corridor is happening faster than plan.

Last edited:
Latest Brampton staff report on the HuLRT: http://bit.ly/2roVJaZ

The report has been referred to the July 7th meeting.

To refer the following report back to staff for a report to the July 5, 2017 Council Meeting:

9.2.1. Report from C. Duyvestyn, Director, Transportation and Special Projects, Public Works and Engineering, dated May 17, 2017, re: Budget Amendment – Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project Update – City Infrastructure and Capital Costs – Wards 3 and 4 (File IA.A [16-3130-481]).

This is going to General Committee on June 28 and cover a lot of areas.

The City of Mississauga has been working with Metrolinx on the development of the procurement documents for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project (HuLRT) and a Request for Proposals will be released this summer to three pre-selected qualified consortiums.

Traffic is going to be a bitch when work starts on the new CP bridges and expect long travel time for MT 19 & 103.

Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project Update: Metrolinx Project Procurement
Section 8.3 pages 8 to 15
https://www7.mississauga.ca/documen...17_06_28__General_Committee_Agenda_online.pdf

Back