Toronto Crosstown LRT: Laird Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
17790-59535.jpg

I realized there was not a thread, so I made one. Database link here.

Two entrances, both on the south side of the street. The primary entrance will be at the southwest corner of Laird and Eglinton; and the secondary entrance will be at the southeast corner of Laird and Eglinton. Architect is IBI Group.

I am guessing that the secondary entrance on the southeast corner will be incorporated into the 815 Eglinton Ave E development?

Does anyone think the 1-storey station structure planned for the primary entrance on the southwest corner of Laird and Eglinton impede the possibility of redevelopment of that corner into something high-density?

It is kind of in-the-way of a potentially assembly of a development lot. There will be two orphan houses between it and the Leaside Health Centre (801and 803 Eglinton).

Updated renders from the Crosstown site:
nl_160725_ext_laird_aerial_60_final.jpg

Primary entrance:
nl_160726_ext_laird_main_day_60_final_0.jpg

nl_160728_ext_laird_main_dusk_60_final.jpg

Secondary entrance:
nl_160726_ext_laird_second_60_final.jpg

Attachments

• nl_160725_ext_laird_aerial_60_final.jpg
    nl_160725_ext_laird_aerial_60_final.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,944
  • nl_160726_ext_laird_main_day_60_final_0.jpg
    nl_160726_ext_laird_main_day_60_final_0.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,917
  • nl_160726_ext_laird_second_60_final.jpg
    nl_160726_ext_laird_second_60_final.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,248
  • nl_160728_ext_laird_main_dusk_60_final.jpg
    nl_160728_ext_laird_main_dusk_60_final.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,859
Secondary entrance:
nl_160726_ext_laird_second_60_final-jpg.109907

Well we know that rendering won't turn out like this. The Canadian Tire and the entire plaza will be redeveloped as part of 815 Eglinton Ave E project. This entrance wil be surrounded by tall structures.

According to the architectural drawings of 815 Eglinton Ave E, there will be direct access to this secondary entrance.

Well we know that rendering won't turn out like this. The Canadian Tire and the entire plaza will be redeveloped as part of 815 Eglinton Ave E project. This entrance wil be surrounded by tall structures.

According to the architectural drawings of 815 Eglinton Ave E, there will be direct access to this secondary entrance.

I don't think Canadian Tire will be gone until 2019 at the earliest, so the rendering is likely what we will see come opening day.

Does anyone think the 1-storey station structure planned for the primary entrance on the southwest corner of Laird and Eglinton impede the possibility of redevelopment of that corner into something high-density?

It is kind of in-the-way of a potentially assembly of a development lot. There will be two orphan houses between it and the Leaside Health Centre (801and 803 Eglinton).
Agreed. And in addition, why is it so big when all is needed is an entrance to underground space? I am assuming that much of the building is above ground mechanicals for the line.

I don't think Canadian Tire will be gone until 2019 at the earliest, so the rendering is likely what we will see come opening day.
The Crosstown is scheduled for end of 2021. I mean, it is possible that there is no movement in 815 Eglinton for some 5 years, but I don't know why RioCan would hold off for that long.

The section of the site that is in Phase 1 is the southwest corner of Laird and Eglinton, where the station is meant to be. I cropped it here:

Laird Station Secondary Entrance Surrouding 815-Eg development.png

The Secondary Entrance is the faint shade of red north of Canadian Tire. Interesting that there is a removable panel listed in the drawing, perhaps Canadian Tire will have a direct entrance to the station itself.

Attachments

• Laird Station Secondary Entrance Surrouding 815-Eg development.png
    Laird Station Secondary Entrance Surrouding 815-Eg development.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,501
Agreed. And in addition, why is it so big when all is needed is an entrance to underground space? I am assuming that much of the building is above ground mechanicals for the line.

I threw together this quick image:

Laird Station Primary Entrance Lots.png

Orange is the station lot. Blue are the adjacent lots that could have been part of a development land parcel. The city even owns the piece of land between 114 Parklea and Laird apparently (that green strip you see).

So much for our Avenues Plan and Places to Grow provisions. Missed Opportunity?

Attachments

• Laird Station Primary Entrance Lots.png
    Laird Station Primary Entrance Lots.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,000
Last edited:
The Crosstown is scheduled for end of 2021. I mean, it is possible that there is no movement in 815 Eglinton for some 5 years, but I don't know why RioCan would hold off for that long.

The section of the site that is in Phase 1 is the southwest corner of Laird and Eglinton, where the station is meant to be. I cropped it here

The Secondary Entrance is the faint shade of red north of Canadian Tire. Interesting that there is a removable panel listed in the drawing, perhaps Canadian Tire will have a direct entrance to the station itself.

There definitely won't be movement until 2019, as I would be aware if that was the case by now.

As for a direct connection to the store from the LRT, I don't see that happening. It would mean staffing another entrance. By the look of the plan, it seems the panel doesn't even connect to the store anyway. (It's within that other retail unit labeled as 'Metrolinx')

Keep in mind that this is also an active Metrolinx construction site. RioCan likely has no choice but to wait for Metrolinx to finish up and move out.

Huge lost opportunity on all these new stations to incorporate mid rise new tchc buildings. It could have been a win-win for all involved.

Huge lost opportunity on all these new stations to incorporate mid rise new tchc buildings. It could have been a win-win for all involved.
I'm not sure if people would actually like that. People that aren't used to living near things like LRTs, Streetcars and subways tend to complain about the noise they make.

I'm not sure if people would actually like that. People that aren't used to living near things like LRTs, Streetcars and subways tend to complain about the noise they make.

When transit lines are on the surface, maybe. But when the tracks and the station platforms are well underground, such as at the Eglinton and Laird intersection - residents must have really sensitive hearing to hear any noise there....

When transit lines are on the surface, maybe. But when the tracks and the station platforms are well underground, such as at the Eglinton and Laird intersection - residents must have really sensitive hearing to hear any noise there....
People will complin either way it's easier to not build it plus it's technically a provincial project so adding something for the city of Toronto on top of already designed buildings isn't likely to fly.

The fact that it's a provincial project would have zero bearing on whether the City would want residential above the stations. It would stop them from demanding it though, but the City and the Province aren't really at such odds on these things that the conversation would be a series of demands and objections. What is lacking here from either party is both ambition for the station sites, and TTC or Metrolinx experience in developing multi-use stations. Both need to get serious about enabling either public-private partnerships to further develop the sites, or they need to establish their own development arms. (I don't mean to get into a debate on which of those two options makes more sense, but I know what I'd pick.)

Meanwhile, we are bemoaning the lack of multi-use at most of these stations. In most cases, Metrolinx would have had to buy at least one more adjacent property to have enough space at ground level to service more floors above. Alternately, as they don't have enough land in most cases, it can be argued that the design of the stations should have anticipated future incorporation into adjacent buildings, including being strong enough to support building overhead at some future time, facilitated in whichever manner; selling the developable space above could have paid for beefing up the structures.

Back