News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

While I study and re-read 'steveintoronto's wax philosophical, :) here's my midnite camera history tour.

Does anyone here like old cameras? I mean we already like old pictures... I know some of you personally and, related to our efforts here in this thread, know you collect old menus, maps and business directories, etc.

So, at 11pm tonite I'm minding my own business walking up the west side of Spadina [the cops call this 'prowl by night', did you know that?] a few paces north of Queen. See this brightly and I mean brightly, lit up store (closed, natch, it's 11pm).

With a free camera history exhibit, viewable through the window. Enjoy. This also gives me decorating ideas for my walls at home.

P5170007 - Copy.JPG

P5170009 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• P5170007 - Copy.JPG
    P5170007 - Copy.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 647
  • P5170009 - Copy.JPG
    P5170009 - Copy.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 557
Does anyone here like old cameras?
I'll take the Hasselblad Victor! That being said, practically, I'd love a classic large format portrait cam with tilt correction, both lens and back.

It's easy to take very high quality colour shots nowadays, but I'd like to crawl inside a camera and capture images like those living memories in B&W of "Then"....but "Now".

I was immediately reminded of Canada's largest "Photography Fair" which will be held 10 days from now (May 28).

Everything photographic will be available for buy, sell, and trade.

There'll be hundreds of cameras similar to those in the above photo.

I certify this to be the greatest bargain event for photographers in Toronto.

More info at www.PHSC.ca

PHSC photo fair 2016 by Bob Lansdale.jpg

Photo by Bob Lansdale

Spring-2017-fair.jpg

Attachments

• PHSC photo fair 2016 by Bob Lansdale.jpg
    PHSC photo fair 2016 by Bob Lansdale.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 559
  • Spring-2017-fair.jpg
    Spring-2017-fair.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Back before the name Terauley was applied to Alice St., it was the name of the street running north of Queen that we now know as Bay. So at that point the Bay streetcar would have been the Terauley trolley (couldn't resist).

"So at that point the Bay streetcar would have been the Terauley trolley (couldn't resist)."
Longview.

And, no doubt, the odd Trollop.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"You can see that the bricks inside the bell tower are still blackened from the fire "
junctionist.

With, and added to that, would be the "general coal-fired heating particulate", which had blackened everything within the City.

Regards,
J T

dear @nicksam368, welcome to urbantoronto... i'm not sure you understand the theme of this particular thread

"then and now" refers to comparing pictures of locations around toronto from the past to what they currently look like
sr =.= Because I just found this theme on google, I can't find another themes. Do you know which links?

Back