News   Apr 23, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 410     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Good gay-friendly doctors in Toronto

I am realizing that I want to be able to openly discuss sexual activities with my doctor without feeling really awkward-- and knowing that he/she won't have a bias against things.

With most health stuff it's not an issue, but things come up in everyone's lifetime which relates to their sex life, and I want to get real, well-informed answers to my questions.

Ah...so the problem does not seem to be doctors, as they are all gay friendly. The problem is that you are a heterophobic patient. :p

Ah...so the problem does not seem to be doctors, as they are all gay friendly.

I can assure you that is not the case.

In my experience, most doctors with a very different "lived experience" are not comfortable talking about LGBTQ health concerns. That, in addition to the risk of bias, is the reason many queer people are more comfortable with a queer doctor.

I can assure you that is not the case.

In my experience, most doctors with a very different "lived experience" are not comfortable talking about LGBTQ health concerns. That, in addition to the risk of bias, is the reason many queer people are more comfortable with a queer doctor.

First of all, what gave you the impression they were uncomfortable? It's possible you are just projecting, as they are the trained professionals and you aren't. It's like some people prefer a male or female doctor. Has less to do with the quality of service and more to do with your own level of comfort.

Secondly, the kind of health related sexual questions you need to ask a GP have little, if nothing to do with your orientation. I could understand a gay-friendly shrink (as there are gay-specific mental health issue)s, but not a GP.

In my experience, most doctors with a very different "lived experience" are not comfortable talking about LGBTQ health concerns.
That's true of anything though ... my one doctor started the physical with the "how much do you drink" question, and my answer of "not enough" seemed to create surprising concern, and many more unnecessary questions (I was serious, I can go weeks without a drink, as it simply doesn't cross my mind. I'd probably be better for 2-3 drinks a week). I later learned he was some religion I'm not very familiar with that doesn't drink.

That's true of anything though ... my one doctor started the physical with the "how much do you drink" question, and my answer of "not enough" seemed to create surprising concern, and many more unnecessary questions I later learned he was some religion I'm not very familiar with that doesn't drink.

I doubt his concern has a thing to do with his religion, and everything to do with the red flag health concerns your "joke" brought up. You don't make those kind of jokes to your doctor for the same reason you don't make bomb jokes on a plane.

I doubt his concern has a thing to do with his religion, and everything to do with the red flag health concerns your "joke" brought up. You don't make those kind of jokes to your doctor for the same reason you don't make bomb jokes on a plane.

Those two things are not even remotely comparable. One depends on context, the other is a crime which could terrify others on the plane.

Those two things are not even remotely comparable. One depends on context, the other is a crime which could terrify others on the plane.

They are both exactly the same in that those you are saying it to are occupationally obligated to err on the side of caution and take you seriously.

They are both exactly the same in that those you are saying it to are occupationally obligated to err on the side of caution and take you seriously.

Really? One being a crime that can both cause panic and will certainly land you in jail, and the other depending on the context causing mild concern/follow-up questions or a simple guffaw? The reaction to one will not be proportionately anything like the reaction to the other.

You honestly think they're "exactly" the same? Okay. Thank God I am not your health care professional, and/or don't travel with you.

Last edited:
Really? One being a crime that can both cause panic and will certainly land you in jail, and the other depending on the context causing mild concern/follow-up questions or a simple guffaw? The reaction to one will not be proportionately anything like the reaction to the other.

You honestly think they're "exactly" the same? Okay. Thank God I am not your health care professional, and/or don't travel with you.

You are talking about the severity of the consequences of doing it, which may differ, while I'm talking about the reasoning behind why you shouldn't do it....which is the same. The point of my original post being that the doctor's response should not be surprising at all.

You are talking about the severity of the consequences of doing it, which may differ, while I'm talking about the reasoning behind why you shouldn't do it....which is the same. The point of my original post being that the doctor's response should not be surprising at all.

But that's just it - the reasoning isn't even the same. The former you should not do it because jail/panic/distress/cause emergency landing/etc... The consequences are the reason. The other is just a joke - frankly unless one has a history of alcoholism, or your health care provider has zero sense of humour, I don't even think your "you shouldn't do it" admonition even applies to the latter. The fact that your health care provider might have to ask a follow-up question on actual consumption does not make it comparable in any way to saying "I have a bomb" on a plane, in terms of reasons or consequences.

They are not even remotely the same thing. But if you want to keep defending your comparison, I leave you to it. I think I am done with this surreal discussion.

Last edited:

Back