News   May 09, 2024
 97     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 386     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.7K     4 

GTTA now Metrolinx

Transport for Toronto

I actually love the Metrolinx name, however I really hate the website look.

I think its kind of cool there is an "x" in the end. I also really like the slogan: "Linking People to Places".

As reported, they test marketed the name and it got the stamp of approval. Once the corporation starts construction on many of the projects promised, I can see everyone warming to the Metrolinx name as it gains creditbility.

It's too bad they couldn't just expand the GO Transit brand.

My suggestion for an alternative name:

"Transport for Toronto" - very British and London inspired.

Louroz

I think its kind of cool there is an "x" in the end.

But it's not though, that's the problem. :)

"Transport for Toronto" - very British and London inspired.

I think that's more London-copying than London-inspired.

How about something simple like GTT (Greater Toronto Transit) or Tit (Toronto Integrated Transit)?

I'm sure your last suggestion would certainly make it famous the world over. The advertising (adverteasing?) possibilities would be endless.

Save convention and detention centres, "metro" has pretty much been abandoned in these parts. If the GTA ever got a regional government, I wouldn't be opposed to calling it "Metro," but to incorporate "metro" into the name of an agency when we don't even have a "metro" level of government, seems odd, derivative and American.

I think most of you must have hit the link already, but I encourage you all to take part in Spacing's re-naming contest...

Give the GTTA a better name contest!

A few ideas that I sort of like...

1. DestinaTO
2. PronTO (goes well with the PresTO card)
3. Portage

I saw that contest post today, and I like the Pronto one. The rhyming quality is definitely unique. How many other major cities rhyme with "Toronto"?

The metro thing was also bothering me, since the metro element is so rarely used that it seems foreign here. I associate it with the pre-amalgamation days.

Metrolinx, my foot. How about Potrzebie
300px-Potrz12.jpg

The metro thing was also bothering me, since the metro element is so rarely used that it seems foreign here. I associate it with the pre-amalgamation days.

Except that, thanks to Paris, the word "Metro" had special resonance relative to urban mass transit long before Metro Toronto became an issue...

The name should have some local appeal. So Pronto as a name doesn't evoke the subway, but neither does metro if no one calls it that here. Why not call it Tubelinx? It would go well with the terrible "Toronto Underground" merchandise.

In response to adma who reminded me of metro's link to Paris, I noted that it's not used locally, and if they have no problem with a name without any local flavor, Tubelinx was also attractive. So really, the Tubelinx question was sarcasm, which is admittedly risky when used in a written context.

The name should have some local appeal. So Pronto as a name doesn't evoke the subway, but neither does metro if no one calls it that here. Why not call it Tubelinx? It would go well with the terrible "Toronto Underground" merchandise.

Tubelinx? I thought we copied New York, not London.

The name shouldn't evoke only the subway since it includes all manner of buses, streetcars, GO trains, etc.

How about Government of Ontario & Toronto Transit - GOT transit? :)

Tubelinx? I thought we copied New York, not London.

The name shouldn't evoke only the subway since it includes all manner of buses, streetcars, GO trains, etc.

How about Government of Ontario & Toronto Transit - GOT transit? :)

I agree, it's just about the subway. And we do have some London imitation going on with the "Toronto Underground" merchandise that Legacy sold. I'm sticking with Pronto.

Back