Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

No one - at least no one I've heard - raised the same concerns about Yonge-Eg. (I've heard a bit more recently, but certainly not before the Crosstown was approved.)

There is a few things different going on here though. First, the Crosstown is going to become an essential part of our rapid transit network, it was and is needed, was a funding priority, and the province was on board.

Second, the riders on Eglinton are already there, on buses. There are unknown variables in play here, including, how much latent demand is on the Eglinton corridor that will be activated, and how many riders will be bypassing Yonge for the Spadina line. We won't know until after the thing is built. Third, the walk-in traffic at Yonge and Eglinton is going to explode with or without the Crosstown, so we are heading towards that capacity outcome with or without the Crosstown.

Finally, I've been screaming in the Crosstown thread for years now about the coming capacity crisis at Eglinton. They have a once in a century opportunity to redo Eglinton station to increase capacity, but they are merely moving the station platform north and nothing else. The station platforms are smaller here than at Bloor-Yonge, is a central platform, and already is at crush load at peak hours without the Crosstown.
I haven't heard a single person raise the same conerns about the SSE either, which (obviously) will funnel more people (but not that many!) into Yonge/Bloor.

I can't defend the Scarborough extension.

That being said, the boondoggle of a subway will actually not be bringing in many net new riders.

So this line with no capacity is somehow able to handle both of those extensions. Weird!

Yes it is, but barely. Therefore, it cannot handle more, no?

So, I'm going to offer up a theory that the issue is not REALLY safety concerns; it's 905ers crowding out 416ers.

Ridiculous notion. If we are talking about safety concerns, the person falling off the platform could easily be a Mississauga resident transfering at Bloor. Their place of residence doesn't matter.

I'm not going to repeat past discussions but if you weren't thinking in a self-serving manner, do you really see it as a positive thing for a transit system to be so crowded by the time the train leaves the terminal stations, that people downstream can't get on?

From a comprehensive regional network, how is that a viable option? Assuming you share urbanist goals of increasing transit mode share, why is pushing people at St. Clair to driving as a consequence of crowding on the Yonge line a viable outcome?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions about what should go on the top of their priority list. I'm not going to reiterate all the planning arguments except to say that IMHO it's obviously extending contiguous high level intensification from the 401 to the 407, obviously going to drive ridership growth, obviously going to facilitate every provincial policy from the PPS down the local OPs, and obviously going to encourage at least some degree of modal shift in a suburb. If that doesn't check enough boxes for you, so be it. but it's on the province's list and it's surely on the federal radar too and it's already got a complete TPAP approved by TO City Council (way ahead of the SSE and WAY WAY ahead of the DRL) so once the capacity concerns are addressed, in one way or another, there's not much actual debate to be had

I'm aware of the political reality. We will condemn the network to a halt in order to serve the interests of voter-rich Scarborough and York Regon.

There is an easy way out of this of course that is in everybody's interest, just build the DRL. To Sheppard preferabily.

A friend who lives at 16th Leslie just asked yesterday what's the best way to get to work at Yonge/Bloor. I told him go parking at Finch Station and crush the subway line, there is no other way.

Well, he could take YRT to Finch :)

But, yes, the riders are there already.

There is a few things different going on here though. First, the Crosstown is going to become an essential part of our rapid transit network, it was and is needed, was a funding priority, and the province was on board.

Second, the riders on Eglinton are already there, on buses.

For sure! I'm in no way am impugning the Crosstown
Merely pointing out there seem to be people VERY concerned about the deathcrush resulting from giving 905ers a subway they're already using and rather less concerned about similar capacity-straining projects that are entirely within 416.

I applaud you for raising the issues sure to surface at Cinnabon station but I don't see John Tory getting up there saying no way the Crosstown gets built until the DRL is up and running. Either he's deathly concerned about capacity constraints or not. That's why I say the "real issue" for many people isn't safety, it's about parochialism.

As I said above, I don't dispute the real capacity issues - probably everyone here has been on the Yonge subway at rush hour, right? I just doubt Toronto's ability to actually confront them and their sincerity about why this specific project is of concern. If they're not going to be honest and serious about dealing with their transit issues, I just don't see why everyone else should be held hostage. It's purely a polemical point.

If you're asking about what makes sense in terms of a regional network perspective, I'd say it's taking the decision-making away from Toronto, building this extension and the DRL. Toronto's wasted a decade now on this stuff and the region continues to grow (moreso in the 905 than 416) and the housing market continues to tighten. Waiting for them to plan and build the DRL at their current pace doesn't make much sense to me. cynical, I know.

Sure, the "easy" way out is to build the DRL to Sheppard. How much will that cost? when's it going to happen? who at Toronto council will lead the fact-based arguments about the optimal alignment and prioritzation? How many new condos are going to go up near Yonge-Steeles in the meantime and how are you going to stop the residents from driving to Finch, clogging up the roads AND STILL taking up seats on the subway?

I don't dispute any of your facts or arguments, really. I'm just tired of waiting for Toronto to get its act in gear so other regional priorities can happen.

For sure! I'm in no way am impugning the Crosstown
Merely pointing out there seem to be people VERY concerned about the deathcrush resulting from giving 905ers a subway they're already using and rather less concerned about similar capacity-straining projects that are entirely within 416.

I applaud you for raising the issues sure to surface at Cinnabon station but I don't see John Tory getting up there saying no way the Crosstown gets built until the DRL is up and running. Either he's deathly concerned about capacity constraints or not. That's why I say the "real issue" for many people isn't safety, it's about parochialism.

As I said above, I don't dispute the real capacity issues - probably everyone here has been on the Yonge subway at rush hour, right? I just doubt Toronto's ability to actually confront them and their sincerity about why this specific project is of concern. If they're not going to be honest and serious about dealing with their transit issues, I just don't see why everyone else should be held hostage. It's purely a polemical point.

If you're asking about what makes sense in terms of a regional network perspective, I'd say it's taking the decision-making away from Toronto, building this extension and the DRL. Toronto's wasted a decade now on this stuff and the region continues to grow (moreso in the 905 than 416) and the housing market continues to tighten. Waiting for them to plan and build the DRL at their current pace doesn't make much sense to me. cynical, I know.

Sure, the "easy" way out is to build the DRL to Sheppard. How much will that cost? when's it going to happen? who at Toronto council will lead the fact-based arguments about the optimal alignment and prioritzation? How many new condos are going to go up near Yonge-Steeles in the meantime and how are you going to stop the residents from driving to Finch, clogging up the roads AND STILL taking up seats on the subway?

I don't dispute any of your facts or arguments, really. I'm just tired of waiting for Toronto to get its act in gear so other regional priorities can happen.

Take a number and keep waiting :D

Except the ones who aren't there yet because the all that PTG related development the extension is supposed to enable?

Interesting - you want a subway extension there is predicated upon a connection to an existing line experiencing capacity issues and you call not getting your way being "held hostage"? York Region/Richmond Hill is free to develop, as one always had, without a subway.

There is no need to stop residents driving to Finch - the system is self-limiting in terms of capacity that way, such that at some point the gains will be compensated by the losses incurred from that process.

It already did, it's called GO RER. Perhaps we can expect the province to get its' act together and fund the DRL fully eh - because we all know the province just funds whatever is on the city's priority list right (e.g. now)?

I'm not going to repeat past discussions but if you weren't thinking in a self-serving manner, do you really see it as a positive thing for a transit system to be so crowded by the time the train leaves the terminal stations, that people downstream can't get on?

From a comprehensive regional network, how is that a viable option? Assuming you share urbanist goals of increasing transit mode share, why is pushing people at St. Clair to driving as a consequence of crowding on the Yonge line a viable outcome?

That's about as cynical a response as one can get - because crowding on Yonge as a result of capacity loss to riders from York will not push people at St. Clair (or heck, Eglinton) to driving - and it is probably a lower-barrier switch given the distance of the drive). And worse, not only did you push people from St. Clair to drive, you could very well have put people who rode on ECLRT to do the same as well, and reduce the attractiveness of transit as a mode for two groups of users.

AoD

Last edited:
@Cobra said it best. Take a number and keept waiting. :p

The way we do transit planning in this city is ridiculous. I think you would find this article interesting, it is about how other jurisdictions planning agencies operate and what lessons we can take from it. Actually, I'll just link the forum post about it: [LINK]

That's about as cynical a response as one can get - because crowding on Yonge as a result of capacity loss to riders from York will not push people at St. Clair (or heck, Eglinton) to driving - and it is probably a lower-barrier switch given the distance of the drive). And worse, not only did you push people from St. Clair to drive, you could very well have put people who rode on ECLRT to do the same as well, and reduce the attractiveness of transit as a mode for two groups of users.

I would just say as a local resident of Midtown Toronto who grew up here, there are many people who are on the verge of taking public transit but are not. Their reasoning is that they don't like buses (about to be fixed with the Crosstown LRT) and they don't like the unreliability of transit.

We are about to solve one of these major complaints with the Crosstown. The second complaint, unreliability, stems from problems resulting from operating an over-capacity subway. If crowds on subways are so large, it slows down trains either through passenger emergency alarms (more common on packed trains) or through delays from trains stuck at stations while their passengers alight and board. The other consequence of an over-capacity subway is that if you are further downstream, as you are at St. Clair or Eglinton, you can be stuck at rush hour watching 2 or 3 trains pass you by before you get the chance to become a sardine.

I have a feeling that the high potential latent demand in Midtown also works in the reverse. Many users from Midtown who use transit today, probably have access to a car (everyone here has a car for weekend shopping trips or to go to the cottage) and could revert back to driving is conditions become increasingly intolerable.

Also here is the other thing. Earlier posts cite that other improvements to the network (such as ATC) will improve Yonge line capacity. That capacity room only exists if trains can arrive at stations every 1 minute 20 seconds. That room is eaten up quickly if passengers take too long boarding and alighting from trains at stations, which is the situation today (and disappears entirely the moment a passenger emergency alarm is pulled). Except the difference between now and 2031 is that today PPHD sits at 28,000 and is projected at 36,000 in 2031. This is an example of how numbers can be misleading. We could very easily be stuck at today's frequency and capacity constraints with 2031's projected PPHD if passengers take too long boarding and alighting.

Except the ones who aren't there yet because the all that PTG related development the extension is supposed to enable?

I didn't say ALL the riders.
That's kind of the point - the immediate effect of the extension would be to distribute the load currently at Finch, take cars and buses north of there off the road etc. It's not like Richmond Hill Centre/Langstaff Gateway will be full-up on opening day.

So, short term it's recognizing how much existing ridership is already coming from the north and improving efficiency.
Long term, it's creating intensification.

Interesting - you want a subway extension there is predicated upon a connection to an existing line experiencing capacity issues and you call not getting your way being "held hostage"? York Region/Richmond Hill is free to develop, as one always had, without a subway.

So your counter is "instead of providing a tool to help the auto-oriented suburbs we hate develop more sustainably and sensibly, they can keep developing the way they always have."

It's rather the opposite of what the entire provincial policy regime says (ie they CAN NOT develop the way they always have) and the tension comes from telling them to change without providing adequate infrastructure.

Encouraging Vaughan to sprawl onto more greenfields instead of allowing 50-storey condos at Yonge/Steeles isn't going to make things better for anyone. Not even the guy who lives at Yonge and St. Clair.

There is no need to stop residents driving to Finch - the system is self-limiting in terms of capacity that way, such that at some point the gains will be compensated by the losses incurred from that process.

I honestly don't even know what that means. The simple point is that if X people are riding the subway south either way, there are gains (environmental, efficiency, travel time etc.) from bringing the subway to them rather than having them get in the car to drive down to it, clogging up the roads, spewing GHG's and so forth.

It's not a question of "stopping" people from driving to Finch, it's a question of why that's something to encourage or not actively discourage if you can.

I hope/think we all agree that if not for:
a) downstream capacity issues
b) limited funding

...this extension would be arguably the biggest no-brainer in the Big Move. There's already substantial ridership and already far more development potential than many other corridors and centres, including STC.

Oh, and C) a line someone drew on a map in the 70s which dictates where taxes happen to go.

It already did, it's called GO RER. Perhaps we can expect the province to get its' act together and fund the DRL fully eh - because we all know the province just funds whatever is on the city's priority list right (e.g. now)?

One thing I don't gamble on is what Toronto council will do on transit and/or how the province will react to whatever they've done.

Anyway, how did Toronto get its "act in gear" with RER? It's entirely a provincial plan and one John Tory has made a mess of, to the extent Toronto is involved. We're as overdue on RER as we are with the DRL; no argument there. It's a real perfect storm of stupid, short-sighted decisions at both the prov and muni level.

That's about as cynical a response as one can get - because crowding on Yonge as a result of capacity loss to riders from York will not push people at St. Clair (or heck, Eglinton) to driving - and it is probably a lower-barrier switch given the distance of the drive).

Here's cynical: better someone driving the 5km or less from St. Clair to downtown (which is bikeable, but whatever), than the 15km from the 905 down to the same place.

Don't get me wrong, there's a fundamental problem when people want to take transit and can't because your system is so messed-up. But if we're choosing lesser-of-evils....

I think we're at a point where the jurisdictional issues are having major effects. They were already, what with this 20-year gap of building almost no major transit. But now we're actually building stuff and doing nearly all of it wrong. It's not hard to look at other regions and derive some best practices and come up with something sensible. But it requires political courage that's sorely lacking almost everywhere.

I haven't heard a single person raise the same conerns about the SSE either, which (obviously) will funnel more people (but not that many!) into Yonge/Bloor.

This is a fair point to make. However, I see two good reasons to be more supportive of SSE than of Yonge North. One reason is pragmatic, the other is technical.

Pragmatic: residents of RH / Markham / Vaughan do not cast votes for the Toronto City Council, while residents of Scarborough do. It is possible that an SRT upgrade would have gone smoothly if undertaken around 2005. But if Scarborough is snubbed by cancelling the subway now, after the subway has been approved and confirmed multiple times by multiple levels of governments, then they will vote in a way that makes any transit taxes in Toronto DOA. Shots at SSE effectively hit the Relief Line. Thus, I prefer SSE to be built in order to clear the path for Relief line.

Technical: most of the SSE riders will be existing transit riders, although with somewhat shortened commutes. I don't expect more than 2k of new downtown-bound riders per peak hour, and even out of those, some will take SSE to Kennedy Stn and transfer to RER / SmartTrack there. Thus, the impact on Y/B will not be negligible, but it will be manageable. In contrast, the condo forest planned at the end of YN subway will produce several thousand of new rides per peak hour, most of them directly in the busiest / chocking Yonge corridor.

I haven't heard a single person raise the same conerns about the SSE either, which (obviously) will funnel more people (but not that many!) into Yonge/Bloor. So this line with no capacity is somehow able to handle both of those extensions. Weird!

1. It's been a common criticism of the SSE since the beginning, particularly of the three-stop variant.

2. The one-stop variant of the SSE adds virtually no new passengers to the system, so there's less reason to be concerned about increased B-Y Station crowding.

I haven't heard a single person raise the same conerns about the SSE either, which (obviously) will funnel more people (but not that many!) into Yonge/Bloor. So this line with no capacity is somehow able to handle both of those extensions. Weird!

1. It's been a common criticism of the SSE since the beginning, particularly of the three-stop variant.
This is the weakest argument that I have heard.

If the transfer LRT would work - then riders would not be deterred from using it because of the transfer. Thus, in the transfer LRT plan, all riders are funneled to the B-D where they will transfer to the Yonge subway - the exact same travel pattern as with the SSE.
If the transfer LRT is a big deterrent, than it is the wrong plan.

If the above argument is made, the only solutions are:
  1. The Ford-McGuinty Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT with a connection to the DRL at Science Centre, or
  2. Much enhanced SmartSpur,
  3. A brand new line from STC to downtown.

Pragmatic: residents of RH / Markham / Vaughan do not cast votes for the Toronto City Council, while residents of Scarborough do.

For sure. It's part ofwhy most of us seem to think some kind of regional transit body.

Some issues are legit (like capacity) but there's still way too much politics.

Technical: most of the SSE riders will be existing transit riders, although with somewhat shortened commutes.

Well, shorter subway rides. Sounds like with bus it won't be so fast but depends who you ask. But I take your point.

At the end of the day the paradox here remains that it makes "more sense" to build the line that won't generate any new riders and little intensification than the one that has latent ridership already and will generate a "condo forest" in the suburbs.

That says more about the state of our system (in terms of politics, planning, funding, capacity etc.) than any long essay I could write.

Also here is the other thing. Earlier posts cite that other improvements to the network (such as ATC) will improve Yonge line capacity. That capacity room only exists if trains can arrive at stations every 1 minute 20 seconds. That room is eaten up quickly if passengers take too long boarding and alighting from trains at stations, which is the situation today (and disappears entirely the moment a passenger emergency alarm is pulled). Except the difference between now and 2031 is that today PPHD sits at 28,000 and is projected at 36,000 in 2031. This is an example of how numbers can be misleading. We could very easily be stuck at today's frequency and capacity constraints with 2031's projected PPHD if passengers take too long boarding and alighting.

ATC allows for a fixed & determinable location at the stop where the doors are opened. With a bit of tape on the ground the cues become very orderly. Look at Hong Kong's system. Yes there are always the idiot that ignores it but when 95% of the people follow the process the process becomes very quick.

When you travel to Hong Kong you can see how quickly people can board even during rush hour at Central.

And being in Canada with the passive/aggressive attitude towards rule-breakers the 5% will be run into enough that they will stop doing it fairly quickly

The bigger issue actually is the stairs and their throughput.

Back