Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I thought that it was still horribly expensive...

upload_2017-3-21_12-33-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_12-33-20.png
    upload_2017-3-21_12-33-20.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 334
I'm new here so sorry if I missed anything on this, but why can't the TTC just cancel 192 Airport Rocket(I think this routes has 6 buses an hour) and work out a deal with UPX where they cancel 192 and TTC riders with valid transfer or a pass can instead ride UPX to the aiport for a modest surcharge(maybe $2). This could work because UPX can handle more passengers anyways, and they would appreciate the extra money from TTC. This would be a win-win situation for both sides because UPX would get more riders and money, and TTC would get more buses and drivers.

I'm new here so sorry if I missed anything on this, but why can't the TTC just cancel 192 Airport Rocket(I think this routes has 6 buses an hour) and work out a deal with UPX where they cancel 192 and TTC riders with valid transfer or a pass can instead ride UPX to the aiport for a modest surcharge(maybe $2). This could work because UPX can handle more passengers anyways, and they would appreciate the extra money from TTC. This would be a win-win situation for both sides because UPX would get more riders and money, and TTC would get more buses and drivers.
I don't think the TTC has any interest in running the UPX service if they did they would have applied to run and build it assuming they had the cash to do it. The buses they run on it are modified for airport service with a couple of seats removed and a rack put in for luggage storage.

1) The UPX does not serve Kipling Station. The transfer at Bloor/Dundas W involves, relative to Kipling, quite a significant walk, outdoors.
2) The $2 surcharge is unlikely to happen, and if it did, that is still more than the $0 surcharge for taking the 192.
3) UPX cannot currently handle more passengers since the fares are so low. The trains are often packed in the Union-Weston stretch.

I don't think the TTC has any interest in running the UPX service if they did they would have applied to run and build it assuming they had the cash to do it. The buses they run on it are modified for airport service with a couple of seats removed and a rack put in for luggage storage.
I am not suggesting that TTC takeover, and the buses should be able to be modified back. This is very good because I heard that TTC has a shortage of buses. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
1) The UPX does not serve Kipling Station. The transfer at Bloor/Dundas W involves, relative to Kipling, quite a significant walk, outdoors.
2) The $2 surcharge is unlikely to happen, and if it did, that is still more than the $0 surcharge for taking the 192.
3) UPX cannot currently handle more passengers since the fares are so low. The trains are often packed in the Union-Weston stretch.
  1. I see, it might be worth it build a better connection at Bloor though, that is if this happens.
  2. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $2 for a faster(especially during rush hour) and more comfortable trip. Also, UPX would get the $2 and what it costs for the TTC to operate 192.
  3. Right, if that is so then they should increase the fare to get more money back.

Why could the UPX not have been built so that the transfer at Union would be easier and closer to the subway, plus easier connection at Dundas west and from my understanding its also quiet a distance from the exit at Pearson

Why could the UPX not have been built so that the transfer at Union would be easier and closer to the subway, plus easier connection at Dundas west and from my understanding its also quiet a distance from the exit at Pearson
The answer to the first one might be "where else at Union would you have put it"....the answer to the second one is probably "GO/ML have been trying for a very long time to figure out how to deal with getting a direct connection to Dundas West and have had trouble with an uncooperative land owner.....people may know better on those....but the answer to the 3rd one is a pretty simple "no its not'...it is directly across the street from T1....with a covered walkway/bridge connecting them...the same bridge that people driving and parking find so convenient about T1 and it happens to be adjacent to the people mover that connects the two terminals....it is in the optimum place on airport grounds (within the current configuration of the airport)

I am not suggesting that TTC takeover, and the buses should be able to be modified back. This is very good because I heard that TTC has a shortage of buses. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

1. I see, it might be worth it build a better connection at Bloor though, that is if this happens.
  2. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $2 for a faster(especially during rush hour) and more comfortable trip. Also, UPX would get the $2 and what it costs for the TTC to operate 192.
  3. Right, if that is so then they should increase the fare to get more money back.

1. Better connection at bloor--yes, everybody wants this, unfortunately except for the owner of the Crossways Mall that is between the TTC and UPX stations, preventing an underground walkway from being built. If you search back in this thread and online in general this has been a sore point for many years. Unfortunately, barring an absurd amount of money to expropriate the property, this isn't happening.
2. That's all well and good, but there are some people who don't have the extra $2 to spare. Not so much air travellers, but I believe a good number of Pearson employees use the 192. It is important to remember that you might have a different financial situation than others, and "oh, I'll just pay more" isn't an option to all.
3. Sorry, so you're simultaneously suggesting that they lower the fare, so that more TTC riders i.e. all current 192 riders take UPX, and that they raise the fare, so that fewer people ride it? I'm not sure how that would work.

If you get UPX from Pearson-Union then GO from Union to... let's say Scarborough GO, am I correct in saying those are charged as separate trips rather than a continuous one as say Malton-Union-Union-Scarborough would be? Because that's the part I would change.

If you get UPX from Pearson-Union then GO from Union to... let's say Scarborough GO, am I correct in saying those are charged as separate trips rather than a continuous one as say Malton-Union-Union-Scarborough would be? Because that's the part I would change.

That's correct. Fares are GO-integrated when riding the UPX between Weston/Bloor/Union, you even tap on GO presto devices, so you can tap on at Weston UPX and off at Scarborough GO and it's one GO trip. If you travel to/from pearson, there are only UPX devices there as it is a higher fare than GO, and sadly those fares are not GO-integrated so you must tap off a UPX device at Union then tap on GO. Supposedly this was to be fixed shortly after the Weston-Bloor-Union fare integration took place, but it hasn't happened. I see no reason why they can't put GO presto readers at pearson, configure those devices as being in a pricier fare zone, but have GO transfers. This 2 different machines strategy is dumb.

That's correct. Fares are GO-integrated when riding the UPX between Weston/Bloor/Union, you even tap on GO presto devices, so you can tap on at Weston UPX and off at Scarborough GO and it's one GO trip. If you travel to/from pearson, there are only UPX devices there as it is a higher fare than GO, and sadly those fares are not GO-integrated so you must tap off a UPX device at Union then tap on GO. Supposedly this was to be fixed shortly after the Weston-Bloor-Union fare integration took place, but it hasn't happened. I see no reason why they can't put GO presto readers at pearson, configure those devices as being in a pricier fare zone, but have GO transfers. This 2 different machines strategy is dumb.
Totally agree.....I use the UP in the summer to get to BMO Field......tap on at Weston...change trains at Union....tap off at Exhibition.......having only one set of readers should allow that sort of trip to start at the airport station as well.

1. Better connection at bloor--yes, everybody wants this, unfortunately except for the owner of the Crossways Mall that is between the TTC and UPX stations, preventing an underground walkway from being built. If you search back in this thread and online in general this has been a sore point for many years. Unfortunately, barring an absurd amount of money to expropriate the property, this isn't happening.
2. That's all well and good, but there are some people who don't have the extra $2 to spare. Not so much air travellers, but I believe a good number of Pearson employees use the 192. It is important to remember that you might have a different financial situation than others, and "oh, I'll just pay more" isn't an option to all.
3. Sorry, so you're simultaneously suggesting that they lower the fare, so that more TTC riders i.e. all current 192 riders take UPX, and that they raise the fare, so that fewer people ride it? I'm not sure how that would work.

Plus..... why would I backtrack to Dundas West ? It's a much more direct service for anyone in Etobicoke.

192 is one of the best deals in Toronto. And it's always full.

- Paul

Back