News   May 03, 2024
 267     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 222     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 122     0 

Cherry Street Nightclub

Either you don't get out much, or have simply never been to Toronto? That's usually the description of Toronto I hear from your garden variety Toronto bashers from BC...who have never set foot in Toronto.:rolleyes:

I have lived in Toronto all my life, except the years I lived in other countries. I have lived all over the city and the parts we consider happening and cool are quite boring in all honesty when compared to other cities around the world.

Granted there are some parts that stay up late by a Torontonian standard, but most of it, including major parts of the core go silent after 10pm. Not to mention large chunks of it where it is just houses is already silent pretty much all day. We waste a lot of space in this city compared to other major world cities that aren't in North America. Create large tracks of boring land. And many people who have travelled extensively and lived in other countries, or people who have immigrated here all say the same thing, Toronto is a pretty boring place.

Not to say there aren't good things about Toronto, it's just some Torontonians make me laugh when they get all self righteous about how amazing the city is without even seeing/considering what the rest of the world is doing with their cities. Maybe it's because we have this obsession with comparing ourselves to the US, rather than Europe and Asia.

And many people who have travelled extensively and lived in other countries, or people who have immigrated here all say the same thing, Toronto is a pretty boring place.
Well ya know, it's an odd thing, as the rate of immigration to Toronto remains one of the highest in North Am, and Toronto is twice as cosmopolitan as NYC, but you think it's all about blasting the fug out of people's ears with shiddy music you think is great.

It's an odd thing, that there would be respect for the consideration of others. No-one is stopping you from blasting your insufferable audio membranes, but they don't want to have to hear it themselves. Nor should they have to. London, New York, Paris all have stricter noise control by-laws than Toronto. Maybe you should go live there? I have.

So you get all snotty and defensive. Have a nice day. I SAID HAVE A NICE DAY....

Btw, I'm forming a new band. With a new and dynamic format. It's exciting. And for the major practice/work sessions, it will be on Polson St.

Edit to Add: What's *really* boring is that this gen (whatever one you are, I lose track) is one of the most uncreative and bereft of originality yet. It's no wonder all the live music bars are closing down. This gen is so stunned from being blasted with a thousand dB, the thought of real musicians playing actual (not synced) music is alien.

Last edited:
Toronto is a pretty boring place.

So, since the only non-anecdotal evidence you can provide for this claim is that we don't allow late-night noisy, drunken kids to disturb local residents, then I would have to question your concept of what is considered "exciting".

Like I said...we already did the Clubland thing....one of the hottest nightspots in the world. Only people who liked that were the club owners raking in the cash and the drunken 20 year old suburbanites lining up to buy overpriced booze and stare at their phones all night.

Sorry...but if you weren't here for the golden age of clubbing (70's & 80's) then you really don't comprehend how to party with at least a modicum of style.

Torontonians make me laugh when they get all self righteous about how amazing the city is without even seeing/considering what the rest of the world is doing with their cities.

You accuse Torontonians of being provincial, yet it's arguably the most cosmopolitan city on the planet.

Your credibility = shot

I thought clubs were dying?

Aren't the kids these days using apps to hook up instead?

I'm not really sure a place like this is even needed.

As for Toronto being boring, I like to quote Harvey Danger, 'If you're bored then you're boring'.

I thought clubs were dying?

Aren't the kids these days using apps to hook up instead?

I'm not really sure a place like this is even needed.

As for Toronto being boring, I like to quote Harvey Danger, 'If you're bored then you're boring'.

Whether a huge Club is 'needed' is not really the question. What is clear is that this particular Club IS used by lots of people now and I bet the owners would not be working on expanding it if they were not making lots of $$$. They are in the business of making money and someone clearly goes there.

I am not sure how building a giant club in the middle of nowhere is "exciting" relative to the plans for the area.

AoD
It is actually a large operation already, and in all due respect, the sound is contained at present to the point of asking the stunned zombies wandering out of the place "what's the event tonight?"....because none of the sound leaks out. Credit to them....other than having to chain off our parking space because the morons think everything is theirs.

At present, the place is contained audibly wise, and folks like Libralesso are welcome to go and bang their brains out. We have keypad locks to keep them out, and fortunately, they keep their sound in. May it always be so...good fences make good neighbours...

Last edited:
Whether a huge Club is 'needed' is not really the question. What is clear is that this particular Club IS used by lots of people now and I bet the owners would not be working on expanding it if they were not making lots of $$$. They are in the business of making money and someone clearly goes there.

To be clear...there are clubs...and then there are clubs.

There's the kind Mr. Khabouth operates are really just quick-buck, fly-by-night booze cans, with the lifespan of a gnat. Those always existed of course, but nothing today compares with the likes of Studio 54, or large 80's Toronto dance clubs like RPM or Copa.

Then there are clubs that are not just placeholders like the aforementioned, but long term (decades) members of the entertainment sector that give something back other than vomit stained sidewalks and hefty police bills. think Horseshoe, El Mocambo, Colonial, Larry's Hideaway, Cameron House, Rivoli, Bam Boo, Gasworks, Beverley, Grossman's, Lee's Palace, Hugh's Room, Opera House, etc, etc, etc.

Which proves that smaller, more manageable neighbourhood places to have a drink, dance, listen to music and socialize are a much better behaved and positive contribution to the urban fabric.

...but nothing today compares with the likes of Studio 54, or large 80's Toronto dance clubs like RPM or Copa.

Then there are clubs that are not just placeholders like the aforementioned, but long term (decades) members of the entertainment sector that give something back other than vomit stained sidewalks and hefty police bills. think Horseshoe, El Mocambo, Colonial, Larry's Hideaway, Cameron House, Rivoli, Bam Boo, Gasworks, Beverley, Grossman's, Lee's Palace, Hugh's Room, Opera House, etc, etc, etc.

Which proves that smaller, more manageable neighbourhood places to have a drink, dance, listen to music and socialize are a much better behaved and positive contribution to the urban fabric.

Well...lol...there's a few that predated that even, like:
Remembering The Gogue Inn
Being president of the student council at George Harvey only meant that I got the letter that the Gogue Inn sent to every Toronto area high school seeking a school ambassador for this about-to-open club in Scarborough which was going to cater to the 16 and overcrowd. It was a no-brainer as to who the rep for George Harvey would be—me, of course. Why would I let an opportunity like this go to someone else? You get to see Toronto’s bands, hang out with some really great people, dance up a storm and you even got paid.

It didn’t matter much that my school was in the west end and the journey to the Gogue was just another great adventure for Friday and Saturday night and sometimes on Sunday for staff meetings. The Sunday meeting usually ended up with a visit to the nearby Modern Age lounge for an afternoon concert. It was nice to see the Rogues up close and talk to them a little. It was quite the experience for a 16 year old kid growing up in western Toronto who had never set foot into Scarborough prior to his first visit to the Gogue.

The journey started with a short walk from my mom and dad’s humble Vaughan Road home that took me past the house where Richie Knight and the Midnights used to practice. It was the Lloyd family home where Barry played his Hammond organ. The band would show up there since the organ was the heaviest thing to move. [...continues in exquisite detail...]

http://hubpages.com/entertainment/Remembering-The-Gogue-Inn

Well ya know, it's an odd thing, as the rate of immigration to Toronto remains one of the highest in North Am, and Toronto is twice as cosmopolitan as NYC, but you think it's all about blasting the fug out of people's ears with shiddy music you think is great.

It's an odd thing, that there would be respect for the consideration of others. No-one is stopping you from blasting your insufferable audio membranes, but they don't want to have to hear it themselves. Nor should they have to. London, New York, Paris all have stricter noise control by-laws than Toronto. Maybe you should go live there? I have.

So you get all snotty and defensive. Have a nice day. I SAID HAVE A NICE DAY....

Btw, I'm forming a new band. With a new and dynamic format. It's exciting. And for the major practice/work sessions, it will be on Polson St.

Edit to Add: What's *really* boring is that this gen (whatever one you are, I lose track) is one of the most uncreative and bereft of originality yet. It's no wonder all the live music bars are closing down. This gen is so stunned from being blasted with a thousand dB, the thought of real musicians playing actual (not synced) music is alien.

I didn't say immigrants hate it here. There is actually a lot of good to Toronto. It's just many people find it boring.

Also I already stated in this forum that the club is probably not the best thing for Toronto, I just feel the outright rejection by people is symptomatic of the nimbyism that is deeply entrenched in a lot of people in this city.

I also didn't get all defensive, I'm simply providing a different point of view.

It's just many people find it boring.
Yeah, nothing like walking around as a zombie staring at an electronic device while walking into objects (the latter of which are real).
Also I already stated in this forum that the club is probably not the best thing for Toronto, I just feel the outright rejection by people is symptomatic of the nimbyism that is deeply entrenched in a lot of people in this city.
You also apparently state that you don't read, or comprehend what you read, or both.

The club is already there. They want to double in size. They want to have 'entertainment' blasting on the patio.

Errr...have you checked your tire pressure lately?

So, since the only non-anecdotal evidence you can provide for this claim is that we don't allow late-night noisy, drunken kids to disturb local residents, then I would have to question your concept of what is considered "exciting".

Like I said...we already did the Clubland thing....one of the hottest nightspots in the world. Only people who liked that were the club owners raking in the cash and the drunken 20 year old suburbanites lining up to buy overpriced booze and stare at their phones all night.

Sorry...but if you weren't here for the golden age of clubbing (70's & 80's) then you really don't comprehend how to party with at least a modicum of style.

You accuse Torontonians of being provincial, yet it's arguably the most cosmopolitan city on the planet.

Your credibility = shot

The proof is this: no michillen starred restaurants. The food in general is largely bland and unnuanced. The only nightlife consists of clubs and bars, there are no night-markets, arcades, last movies of the night are usually around 11-12, etc. Many areas are zoned just for housing and you can walk up to 45 minutes without seeing a single business. Most cafes inexplicably close around 10pm. Actually pretty much everything closes around ten except for pubs and clubs. A spectacular waste of our waterfront. We have the Harbourfront centre, but the rest of it is pretty devoid of business. I could keep going comparing Toronto to good ideas I've seen elsewhere, but that would be a long list. In short Toronto is a city, yes probably the best in North America. Cosmopolitan though? Not even close to some cities in Europe and most in Asia

Yeah, nothing like walking around as a zombie staring at an electronic device while walking into objects (the latter of which are real).
You also apparently state that you don't read, or comprehend what you read, or both.

The club is already there. They want to double in size. They want to have 'entertainment' blasting on the patio.

Errr...have you checked your tire pressure lately?

Lol thanks for picking on the semantics. I agreed that the expansion to the current club is probably not the best tbing for Toronto.

You must be a very sad person, Bradley. And very boring. I'll leave it at that, save for this:
In short Toronto is a city, yes probably the best in North America. Cosmopolitan though? Not even close to some cities in Europe and most in Asia
[...]
While not part of a major study, BBC Radio has bucked this trend in declaring Toronto the most diverse city in the world just a few weeks after newly elected London mayor Sadiq Khan pronounced his city the bearer of such a title.

The biggest problem with diversity rankings is that they tend to rely too heavily on one unit of measurement, namely the percentage of a population born in a foreign country. Such a yardstick, however, fails to take into account the total range of ethnicities found in a given city and necessarily ignores the presence of second generation immigrants.

For this reason, a city like Dubai ranks at near the top of some diversity ratings with a whopping 83 per cent of its population born in another country. That number doesn't tell the whole story, though. While the percentage of foreign-born residents is very high, the total number of countries from which they derive is quite low.

Toronto's population is made up of 51 per cent of residents born outside of Canada, but is also home to 230 different nationalities, which makes it far more diverse than Dubai. According to the statistical analysis done by the radio show, the second most diverse city in the world is Brussels, followed by a toss up between London, Auckland and Los Angeles.

It's not quite definitive, but this ranking at least confirms what most of us tend to take as a given. When it comes to truly global cities, Toronto takes the cake.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2016/05/toronto_named_most_diverse_city_in_the_world/
The 10 Most Multicultural Cities In The World
[...]
Toronto
With half of its population born outside the country, Toronto is often referred to as ‘the most multicultural city in the world.’ If it is not, it definitely has the distinction of being one of the most culturally diverse cities. Located in Canada, this city boasts 200 ethnic groups with over 140 languages spoken. People from the UK, Ireland, China and Italy, to name a few, represent some of the larger cultural groups, while smaller communities include people from Iran, the Netherlands, Nepal and Romania. Toronto also features dozens of ethnic neighborhoods waiting to be explored, including Chinatown, Greektown, Roncesvalles Village (Little Poland), Little Italy, and Little India.

Toronto, ON, Canada
https://theculturetrip.com/north-am...he-10-most-multicultural-cities-in-the-world/

For some odd reason, none of the sites naming Toronto as "one of the most diverse cities in the world" include 10,000 watts+ of audio on a patio.

Back