News   Apr 24, 2024
 980     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I find it hard to believe that he never wanted the Shepard subway extended to scabourgh town centre. He was for the scarborough subway after originally saying LRT was the best way to go

He was definitely in favour of the Sheppard LRT,

See especially at 9:05

Last edited:
You you want 5 levels of government? Municipal, Regional, Greater Toronto Region, Provincial, Federal.

Cross-regional commuters on local systems maybe a drain operationally, but it isn't at a level that makes or breaks capital expansion, which is order of magnitude higher in cost.

Presumably you will be getting rid of the current regional level (York, Peel, Durham, Halton) to create a GTA regional government.

AoD

Currently, the regions served by GO train are: Durham, York, Simcoe, Peel, Halton,Wellington, Waterloo. The separate cites that have GO train are: Hamilton and Toronto. If you added GO bus to that mix, you would also have: Northumberland, Peterbourough, Kawatha Lakes, Dufferin, Brant, and Niargara.

Should all those disappear? No. My idea is only for transit, not for everything else that is covered by the regions/counties. Think of it as Metrolinx now is in charge of all transit. The livery could change, or not if they see fit. Metrolinx would be the one deciding on where and what transit improvements happen. And, of course, they would be asking for some property taxes.

Should all those disappear? No. My idea is only for transit, not for everything else that is covered by the regions/counties. Think of it as Metrolinx now is in charge of all transit. The livery could change, or not if they see fit. Metrolinx would be the one deciding on where and what transit improvements happen. And, of course, they would be asking for some property taxes.
Who would they be accountable to?

Ideally? one person from each region is voted in. or maybe just like ridings.
Honestly, I do not know exactly how it would work. How are the regions accountable?
It has to be 1 person per region/big city. It cannot be population based because Toronto will win. However, if Toronto get 1 seat for each district/borough, then things get interesting.

Metrolinx board members have to elected, not appointed.

One really big problem is that the TTC serves all who works in Toronto, but does not get property taxes from all who use it on a regular basis.

That's not exactly true. TTC, or more specifically the City of Toronto, gets taxes from all employers (a non-trivial amount) that those employees are going to. That's in addition to property taxes from any restaurants or stores those employees visit during their day.

Sure, it's better to double-dip with a Toronto resident employed in a Toronto office building, but just getting 1 side of that isn't bad. The trouble makers are the ones who live in Mississauga and work in Pickering or otherwise go through City of Toronto in their commute but don't live or work there; I expect this is a very tiny number.

how does the city have the money to fund sheppard east when scarborough price tag keeps going up plus the city needs to pay for SmartTrack

Taxes? If Toronto were to simply increase residential tax rates from their current rate to the lowest rate of the surrounding cities, that would generate an extra $260 million per year.

You know a topic is controversial and political when it has 10,000 replies. The SRT replacement(s) have no one right answer, which is why people use the same facts in different ways to solve the problem differently.

I just wanted to be the 10,000th reply

You know a topic is controversial and political when it has 10,000 replies. The SRT replacement(s) have no one right answer, which is why people use the same facts in different ways to solve the problem differently.

I just wanted to be the 10,000th reply

Unfortunately for you, you're only the 10,001th reply. Too late!

10,000th reply goes to amnesiajune. Congratulations!

kTirqN4.jpg

Currently, the regions served by GO train are: Durham, York, Simcoe, Peel, Halton,Wellington, Waterloo. The separate cites that have GO train are: Hamilton and Toronto. If you added GO bus to that mix, you would also have: Northumberland, Peterbourough, Kawatha Lakes, Dufferin, Brant, and Niargara.

I am not sure how much mandate a transit only authority will have in raising revenues outside fares - an actual regional level of government is a different story. As for the actual boundaries of the region - just because GO provides service to areas that would presumably fall outside of the GGHA doesn't mean that a regional level of government for the latter is moot, or that the latter should serve in a leadership role in shaping regional transit.

AoD

Last edited:
Taxes? If Toronto were to simply increase residential tax rates from their current rate to the lowest rate of the surrounding cities, that would generate an extra $260 million per year.

I agree in principle - but in the spirit of equity, the city should drop their commercial rate to a level comparable to the 905 municipalities as well.

AoD

Back