News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

York Gardens Town Homes (346 Jarvis, 4s)

Town Homes at 346 Jarvis Street

This is the complex briefly discussed in the "Jarvis Mansions" and "Suspicious Fire Guts Townhomes Under Construction" threads

Much more of an eyesore now.

The scene this morning.... Some very unhappy Radio City south tower residents...

DSCN1322.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

DSCN1365.jpg

DSCN1366.jpg

DSCN1367.jpg

DSCN1376.jpg

DSCN1377.jpg

DSCN1378.jpg

DSCN1379.jpg

Not funny now is it?

Breaking news on 680News: Fire Marshall discovered 2 bodies during the investigation.

Oh man, that's terrible. I was thinking earlier whether this might be an arson job or homeless folk who may have had candles lit or something inside. After some discussion on this project last week I walked by with my dog. There was a chain link fence at the Jarvis St. entrance to the site but it was only constructed to block part of the entrance which effectively made it useless. The townhomes would have been easy to access for anyone with the will to do so.

Much more of an eyesore now.

The scene this morning.... Some very unhappy Radio City south tower residents...

DSCN1366.jpg

I just realized, I know this guy. I worked with T. for nearly 20 years.

Walked by there today - they were horrible looking, and it was obvious they were in such a state before the fire. Such a shame that this POS was right by the beautiful Radio City condos and the National Ballet.

I didn't notice any police activity around 2:45.

I think you guys got it right, very easily could be an insurance scam... there was no way these units were saleable. Rotten deal for the tower residents living nearby, hope those windows get replaced soon!

It doesn't appear to be arson. News reports this evening say the fire originated where the body was found so it's likely a homeless person lit something to get warm or perhaps a cigarette or something. It's very sad and unfortunate when these things happen.

Thanks for locating this thread and placing my post in it. Thanks also to Casaguy for the photo documentation.

I'm really curious now to see if they just rebuild the townhouses as they were.

The pictures show amateur work on a project needed a lot of breaks just to be completed. Let's hope whoever was building this decides to find something outside of development/construction to do.

Last edited:
Body found at fire scene

Early-morning downtown blaze called suspicious

Toronto Star
Nov 10, 2007 03:31 PM
Sarah Boesveld
Staff Reporters
Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew

A suspicious fire in a downtown construction site spread quickly this morning, destroying three unfinished town homes and igniting objects on balconies of nearby buildings. Investigators found a person dead in the ruins this afternoon.

Fire crews were called to an unfinished housing development at Carlton St. and Jarvis Street around 12:45 a.m. The flames were visible from blocks away as crews approached the scene.

Nearby buildings were evacuated as 110 firefighters struggled to contain the flames. About 150 people, mostly evacuated residents, watched the three-alarm fire from the sidewalk outside the building.

Three unfinished townhouses were destroyed, and were ablaze when crew arrived. The others remained relatively untouched by flames, Toronto police said. The crews kept the fire from engulfing nearby buildings.

The fire caused an estimated $700,000 damage.

The province’s Fire Marshal is investigating, and is treating the construction site as a crime scene. This afternoon, they were waiting for a structural engineer to assess what is left of the buildings.

The fire might not have spread as quickly if developers had installed sprinklers at the construction site, investigators say.

Neighbour Timothy Baubie was asleep in his third-floor condo and woke up to the sight and sound of towering flames.

Baubie, 41, grabbed his one-year-old beagle, Oscar, and ran downstairs. There he saw the fence, which separates his building from the construction site, on fire.

“I really thought it was going to catch our building on fire, too,†said Baubie, a TTC supervisor.

Objects on three balconies in his building caught fire from the intense heat and tall flames, including one on the 27th floor. Windows in the same building burst from the heat, while some, like Baubie’s, cracked extensively.

Baubie and roommate David Pernica, 34, said no work had been done on the town house development in nine months. A pile of unused lumber was set on fire at the same site just last spring, they said, but was contained.

“The thing’s a hazard. It’s so close to our building- you could literally toss a beer over to somebody, if you wanted to†said Pernica, who drinks his morning coffee on the balcony. He arrived home this morning to see the aftermath of the fire.

“I don’t think it should have ever been uilt.â€

lol A friend was just trying to explain the fire to me while we were walking back to his place and I had no clue what he was talking about... Now it all makes sense.

They (Radio City) should definitely send the repair bill to the developers who left this site standing in such a state for so long, without adequate security.

AoD

Back