Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Or something along the lines of Zaha Hadid's early 2000's plan for the base of the FLLW's Price Tower:

10-priceextension.jpg

Attachments

• 10-priceextension.jpg
    10-priceextension.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,088
This is turning into a shitpile of buildings with no sense to anything. The addition now covers the brand new CN Tower sign as people approach from the plaza:

FEk3AD8h.jpg

Inspected in further detail, it appears to be self contained. Maybe a gift shop? Since the heightened security came into effect, one can't go into the gift shop without passing through the line ups for security.

sNlJ8OEh.jpg

It would however be a significantly smaller gift shop than the one inside.

My questions is, who the hell from the city approved it?

This is straight up rinky dink architecture you'd find in Mumbai and hopefully not Toronto. You can't just build something in a public space, because.

My questions is, who the hell from the city approved it?

This is straight up rinky dink architecture you'd find in Mumbai and hopefully not Toronto. You can't just build something in a public space, because.

Federal project if not land - not sure there is much the city can do by the way of architecture. Besides, the city at large (ABC included) can't even prevent its' own projects from being aesthetically challenged when push comes to shove (TPL being a notable exception to the rule) - say, the Ex. Would you trust them on aesthetic matters? I know I wouldn't.

AoD

It's sad that this architecturally daring structure has such dreck at its base. How hard is it to take cues from the existing tower? It's almost embarrassing, our most popular tourist destination deserves far better.

It's just an expansion of the entry pavilion.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 454
That sign could easily be moved up so it can be seen from all angles

Not that easily. That was my first thought too so I had an up close look at how the sign is mounted. It's sitting on a shelf that is welded to the structure and the red glass is custom cut to slide over the shelf attachments. In other words, they'd have to redo the entire red glass front. My guess is that they're going to leave it. It's not like they care too much about aesthetics or good design.

Back