News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Political Landscape of Toronto (including Ward Boundary Review)

The most obvious solution was to use the same boundaries that exist for federal and provincial. There is local input to these boundaries, so why duplicate the process.
The fact that this did not even make the short list means there is no point attending consultations.

I feel like municipal government should have more local representatives. I would be upset if we adopted federal boundaries and end up with less representatives.

Especially since I would be moved to Don Valley West. I would be separated from the rest of the new ward by a river, ravine and highway. I already have a hard time reconciling how the people of Leaside and the people of Thorncliffe and Flemingdon Park have the same representative despite their disparate needs. Add in communities as diverse as Davisville-Midtown, Lawrence Park, Bridle Path and Don Mills into that mix and I am not really sure how all those needs can be reconciled at the municipal level.

I feel like municipal government should have more local representatives. I would be upset if we adopted federal boundaries and end up with less representatives.

I completely agree. I was saying that as of right now the pre-2015 federal and current provincial boundaries are used largely as the parameters for the ward boundaries, with a few exceptions. For instance, a federal/provincial riding like Toronto-Danforth is "split" and made into two municipal wards. I think this makes much more sense for constituents at all levels. Many councillors prefer this arrangement too because it means they only have to liaise with one MP or MPP regarding local affairs and not two or three.

Screen shot 2016-05-12 at 10.22.55 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-12 at 10.22.55 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-12 at 10.22.55 AM.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 380
Three in downtown, actually. The article mentions three wards in the west end would become two. A loss of one ward, an addition of four new wards, for a net gain of three additional wards.

I expect tooth-and-nail resistance to the plan from some the more regressive members of council, who will quickly see that the balance of power is shifting away from the suburbs, and not toward them. It should be an interesting vote.

Good point. I did my own rough calculations a few months back, and found that Old Toronto should be gaining three wards as well.

Of course certain councillors will fight it. These new ward boundaries have potential to dramatically change the policy directions of this city. The Scarborough Subway, Gardiner East likely would not have been approved under these boundaries.

The real question is whether or not Tory will support it. I expect the the Mayor will support it with the typical Toryisms; saying this is a good compromise between having fewer politicians and more balanced representation. I don't see the Mayor having much to lose or gain under these boundaries

I expect tooth-and-nail resistance to the plan from some the more regressive members of council, who will quickly see that the balance of power is shifting away from the suburbs, and not toward them. It should be an interesting vote.

Agreed. I anticipate cries of "What about Scarborough/York/Etobicoke??!" from Mamo, Jimmy K and the rest of the rest dead weight.

The real question is whether or not Tory will support it. I expect the the Mayor will support it with the typical Toryisms; saying this is a good compromise between having fewer politicians and more balanced representation. I don't see the Mayor having much to lose or gain under these boundaries

I will be surprised if they add 3 councillors, especially with Tory keeping an eye on the 2018 race. "More politicians" is not very palatable to the electorate, regardless of the merit. I predict they go with Option 2 which keeps 44 seats with reconfigured boundaries.

Last edited:
I didn't get that from the old minimal change map either. But if it's true, it's no worse for Rosedale than being held hostage by Kristyn Wong-Tam.

Back