Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

^ indeed, parking lots are the most inefficient way of "storing" cars. Underground parking can multiply the amount of parking spaces in that spot by at least four times.

With that in mind, the more buildings take over parking lots, the more parking becomes available in the city.

I didnt see any surface parking in downtown San Francisco... the underground parking that was available was exceptionally expensive... I saw some signs for $40 a day!

Underground parking garages are very expensive to make

Its not like the developer doesn't recoup the cost in the long run anyways, so my concern for the cost is minimal- unless the cost infringes upon the design of the above ground elements, I don't think we should worry too much about the cost assosciated with building underground parking lots. I think they should be mandated, but that may already be the case?

p5

umm... then where would people park?

in the area where i work at john and front and wellington, every parking lot that is sucked up is replicted underground X4 or 5.

in the area where i work at john and front and wellington, every parking lot that is sucked up is replicted underground X4 or 5.

yeah i was kinda just kidding. i work right there too actually. all the surface lots are slowly going away.

Its not like the developer doesn't recoup the cost in the long run anyways, so my concern for the cost is minimal- unless the cost infringes upon the design of the above ground elements, I don't think we should worry too much about the cost assosciated with building underground parking lots. I think they should be mandated, but that may already be the case?

It may come as a surprise, but the underground parking elements of condo parking garages are often a money losing venture - even at $25,000 per parking spot - the costs are recouped by increasing the prices on the actual condo units themselves.

Are multi-level above ground parking lots expensive? the one on richmond between church and victoria isn't thaaat ugly.

An interesting thought, with all the new buildings going up and so little of our built form pre-dating the car is there a city in the world with a higher density of parking (private and public) than Toronto?

Chicago? Although they tend not to dig deep undergroud parking, they just have the first half-dozen floors of the highrises be for parking, a la Sapphire Tower. One reason why they build so tall there, perhaps?

Bill

Back