Toronto 100 Yorkville at Bellair | 61.57m | 16s | Invar Building | Hariri Pontarini

The retail along Yorkville seems to be this project's best attribute. Not sure about that pseudo slab tower thingy.

The slabs (and retail on Yorkville) are Hariri Pontarini, so we should get pleasing proportions, handsome details, and quality finishes. Odd that the Scollard townhomes are a neo-classical grab bag.

wow, it looks like somebody gave some serious consideration to the overall design here. I love the townhomes! Perfect to maintain the heritage character of this area... I dont even care if they are literal rip-offs of something built a hundred years ago. Perhaps that is why they look so good in the rendering, just copy something that you know works rather than create some mish mash from scratch. The pedestrian mall looks like it is paving stones or brick which also references the character of Yorkville nicely!

I love the townhomes! Perfect to maintain the heritage character of this area... I dont even care if they are literal rip-offs of something built a hundred years ago. Perhaps that is why they look so good in the rendering, just copy something that you know works rather than create some mish mash from scratch.

What?

They are creating mish mash. Scollard street is already mish mash - the only character being maintained on that street is 'low rise' - otherwise the architecture of Scollard's buildings is a little bit of everything.

just copy something that you know works rather than create some mish mash from scratch.

I have to repeat that bit again. You can't seriously be advocating that credo in regards to creating new buildings, can you? Do you not innovate and try new things with your (very cool) photos? Shouldn't architecture progress along with everything else? Keep building olde timey fakey buildings, and soon we'll be living in an amusement park instead of a city.

Keep building olde timey fakey buildings, and soon we'll be living in an amusement park instead of a city.

We're a looooooooong way from that becoming a problem in Toronto.

1805799458_e5d4c2a321_o.jpg

I wonder who the guy with the Ferrari is talking too. She doesn't look like she belongs in this Trendy Yorkville scene. hmmm

:p

The tough part is keeping the actual old-time buildings up.

Caltrane,

Renderpeople go where they please and drive what they please. Besides, look at the rendertype in a tux. Now he looks out of place.

I think part of the uniformity of Yorkville is its emphasis on rich... (you've got to be rich to live here, we use the best materials to meet your high standards..kinda thing).

I don't think it matters whether the buildings mimic the past or blaze the cutting edge of design, whether the buildings are short or tall. Yorkville works as cohesive nieghbourhood.

The historic facade has been moved back into place. It looks like this will start rising out of the hole soon.

Caltrane,

Renderpeople go where they please and drive what they please. Besides, look at the rendertype in a tux. Now he looks out of place.

What about the juxtaposition of a new condo, a man in a tux with an equally snazzy courtesan, a 3-4 year old Ferrari and a Jag (XJ-S) that was built by Communists from 1976-1996...

Wow, now this sounds like "a new experience in downtown experiences" to quote The Thing on Bay's literature.

Funny how this is the perception of Yorkville as seen by its non-resident weekend visitors. The reality of life there day-to-day couldn't be more different. Really is an urban village (everything imaginable within walking distance) and the reason why it's popularity has endured and increased. The flashy, tacky, bulky, loud, and chrome-wheeled crew is only a weekend phenomenon.

I guarantee you the guy with the 1999 Ferrari 360 lives in Woodbridge, not Yorkville, ;)

The renderman in the suit, second floor and to the right.

A guy on a balcony in a suit during the day is clearly a prelude to an extramarital affair.

Investor: true. Most Yorkville/East Annex residents drive Volvo station wagons, BMW's, Audi's, Mazda5 microvans (i love this little van myself!) and older cars. I lived beside yorkville for years and used to see Brian Mulroney buying magazines (i was standing right beside him at one point lol), the locals gathering at second cup for cheap coffee, etc. I think the locals flee yorkville on weekends--for queen west, the cottage, the kids' homes in the outer suburbs, etc. Me? I just stayed in bed sleeping....

Back