News   May 03, 2024
 960     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 591     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 283     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

I really hope that this gets mentioned in the budget. Frees up the Kitchener line through Brampton, frees up the Milton line through Mississauga (and potentially Midtown Toronto), and improves rail safety by getting the hazardous goods onto a dedicated freight corridor that's much further from residential properties than the current routes.

As for a full bypass to free up the North Toronto sub, that may be a whole other animal, since that would likely involve adding more tracks to the CN York (I think that's the name) sub across the bottom of York Region.

This thread is worth a bump, thanks to WislaHD:

Now, if the feds funded it, how far can we get on the Freight Bypass within our lifetimes?

Successfully starting but aborting a pre-feasibility study?
Mere EA completion?
Partial bypass? (freeing up Brampton subdivision, but not North Toronto subdivision)?
The whole shebang?

I would expect that, at the very least, we could get a bypass studied and built for CN's use from Milton to Halwest. This would free up the entire Kitchener line west of Bramalea for 2WAD service.

To get CP using it is not guaranteed. CN will be very resistant to CP using their strategic Halton-York subdivision corridor. There will need to be negotiations that go beyond the bypass itself:
  • How will CP and CN cross each other?
  • What, if any, restrictions will there be to CP providing local spur service along the Halton-York corridor?
  • Would CP be allowed in this corridor, or would they have to go elsewhere (e.g. the 407, or utilize the MacTier to jump back south to the existing North Toronto sub)?
It's a huge question mark, and I'm sure Ottawa's vision (or at least the arguments they agree with) will have some sway.

If the feds funded it:

Who would own the bypass?
Crown corporation? CN?

I'd imagine the land would be purchased (and where necessary, expropriated) by the federal government through whatever agency or federal department is most appropriate. I doubt CN and/or CP would be willing to use it unless they had ownership for their respective tracks; they need it to allow themselves full control and discretion over maintenance and upgrades, and would not subject themselves to the risks associated with potential bureaucratic or political interference. So I'd expect to see the by-pass corridor (if it was shared) split into two and transferred to CN/CP in exchange for transferring the respective parts of the Galt and Halton subs to Metrolinx. The bypass would still be federally regulated, so there wouldn't be much risk on the feds' part.

But you know, this is just hypothetical bantering from me. Anything could happen.

I'd imagine the land would be purchased (and where necessary, expropriated) by the federal government through whatever agency or federal department is most appropriate. I doubt CN and/or CP would be willing to use it unless they had ownership for their respective tracks; they need it to allow themselves full control and discretion over maintenance and upgrades, and would not subject themselves to the risks associated with potential bureaucratic or political interference. So I'd expect to see the by-pass corridor (if it was shared) split into two and transferred to CN/CP in exchange for transferring the respective parts of the Galt and Halton subs to Metrolinx. The bypass would still be federally regulated, so there wouldn't be much risk on the feds' part.

But you know, this is just hypothetical bantering from me. Anything could happen.

Isn't the plan for the Missing Link west of Bramalea to largely use the 407 ROW?

There was an article about the Missing Link in Metroland's Thornhill Liberal - west edition - on April 14, 2016. The article is located here (page 12 of the paper; 15 in the pdf) and here are screen shots:

image-1.png
image-2.png

I trust the York politicians will be able to explain how they bowed to developers and built subdivision after subdivision right next to a railway line that was already there, assuming that it would just vanish after a while.

- Paul

And is already carrying almost all of CN's freight through the GTA...

This isn't a rail trail that's proposed to be reactivated, it's already a very active line.

IMO just more fear mongering politics from our trusted neighbourhood counsellors/mpps.. The real cause for concern should be the standard operating procedures of
CN themselves. Besides, they are only really concerned now because of Lac Megantic, which was found to be due to negligence and couldve happened to a commuter train as well if in the same situation.
If anything they should be lobbying for more accountability of CN

If I was an elected representative for York Region I'd be saying exactly the same thing, because this project benefits midtown Toronto (of all places!) and does nothing for York while increasing risk and environmental effects. These guys aren't elected to be the bigger person, particularly at the municipal level. If this was actually likely to happen I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yonge subway extension, or some other tasty treat, get a rapid rise up the agenda.

An entity similar to Toronto Terminals Railway could own it, no?

No real surprise since I have worked with Jim Jones in the past and already said this in the past.

Dangerous goods has to move through someone backyard, but how much??

Its one thing to have x trains do it daily, but doubling or triple them is another issue. You are exposing the corridor to a higher risk that could do more damage compare to what is done today.

You also doesn't cut off one line of moving goods, but 2.

The current infrastructure between the new cut off since there is no such thing as a missing link in the first place and where CP joins CN Line has to be upgrade as well built. Who is going to pay for it as well rebuilding a fair number of overpasses to add 1-2 more tracks to the corridor??

What about the residents living along this corridor or near it that will have to have to listen to 2-3 times more trains a day compare today???

Its over a Billion dollars to 4 track the Milton line and far far cheaper than trying to do this bypass.

Who is paying Toronto Terminal Railway to own and operate this bypass??? It will be CN, CP, Feds, Halton, Peel and the Province of Ontario as well YOU/US.

Back