295     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

Car2Go Illegal Parking - Solutions?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've noticed Car2Go is parking their cars illegally in my neighbourhood, see below, pic at 7am.

IMG_1112_zpsgdaqcny8.jpg

IMG_1111_zpspietsxif.jpg

What can be done to ensure they follow the parking rules?

TPS Parking Authority can issue tickets, but unless they tow I don't think the company cares, per this article.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...-introduce-on-street-parking-in-toronto-.html

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this. There are limited on-street parking spaces and residents pay a lot for parking permits. Car2Go's rationale, which is that they will in the long-term free up parking as people switch from car ownership to car sharing, is dubious.

Very innovative - they'll never look in Vancouver for it!
I know you're trying to make a point, and I appreciate the effort, but I don't get it.

The photos I posted are of the illegally parked Car2Go in downtown east Toronto. I took these photos myself this morning.

The photo of the presumably illegally parked Car2Go boxed up in lumber I pulled off the web. Is it Vancouver? IDK.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. The city has laws regarding parking. If you're upset, you can call parking enforcement and they will come ticket/tow the car per the bylaws. What exactly do you hope to achieve with this thread?

I think I'm clear in the OP. The tickets aren't working. I don't think the city tows illegally parked cars in this circumstance. I'm asking what can be done to have them follow the rules, given this and that the company has said they'll pay the tickets and ignore the city. I think we're at an impasse, similar to those shredding trucks we see that consider tickets for illegal parking as a cost of doing business. Perhaps there is no fix beyond Nfitz suggestion that we change the rules to accommodate them - I'm fine with the city having the conversation and coming to a decision.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. The city has laws regarding parking. If you're upset, you can call parking enforcement and they will come ticket/tow the car per the bylaws. What exactly do you hope to achieve with this thread?
The problem is that car2go doesn't care about getting tickets. They'll probably try to fight them, have the parking enforcement officer not show up 9 out of 10 times, and then not have to pay the ticket.

Basically they are taking the Uber approach to restrictive unnecessary by-laws. Simply ignore them, until the city comes to the table to be reasonable.

If only there was a large corporation to do this with food trucks.

Basically they are taking the Uber approach to restrictive unnecessary by-laws. Simply ignore them, until the city comes to the table to be reasonable.

If only there was a large corporation to do this with food trucks.
I understand your point in this instance, but do we really want large corporations choosing which municipal laws they can ignore? Shredding and delivery trucks already jam up downtown roads, accepting tickets as a cost of business. If food trucks can ignore by-laws on location, then why not on food safety? Can developers or renovation contractors ignore bylaws they feel are silly?

The city has provided Car2Go parking in GreenP lots across the city. It's not as if the company isn't being heard and accommodated by the city. IMO it's not the same as Uber, which is essentially a tool to let me share my car with someone else. Instead, Car2Go is a car rental corporation, not a service, akin to AVIS, Hertz, etc, but in this case using the city's infrastructure as part of their business, without that city's permission. If I open a moving truck service tomorrow, such as https://www.goshare.co/home/ can I use the city's residential roads to store my trucks? I'd like to think they'd get towed PDQ.

Honestly, the easy fix to shredders, couriers, car rental firms, etc. from illegal parking is not tickets at all, but disabling the vehicle.

wheel-clamp.jpg

Last edited:

Back