News   Apr 30, 2024
 524     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

they'll run for around 5.5km, which while not horribly long they will serve a function. They are of course long term going to go all the way to Highway 8 in Cambridge.. Once the next extension finishes up in the early 2020's out to Milton they will be 25km long, which will be really, really useful.

The expansion to the west up to Port Credit River starts in April and is to be completed in 2019

Anyone know enough about the plans to explain why it'll take to 2019 for this section to be completed? Since this ends east of the Credit River, I don't see what the big obstacles are. Mavis and Matheson are ready, 2nd Line is a small replacement.

Anyone know enough about the plans to explain why it'll take to 2019 for this section to be completed? Since this ends east of the Credit River, I don't see what the big obstacles are. Mavis and Matheson are ready, 2nd Line is a small replacement.

During this year, there will be 4 separate construction contracts ongoing:
  1. 401/Mavis Bridge
  2. 403/410/401 Interchange Structures
  3. 401 Widening from Hurontario/Mavis to Credit
  4. 410 Widening from Eglinton to Queen
Due to the coordination required, things will inevitably get done more slowly (separate contractors have to maintain 500m separation).

But in general we have:
  • 2016: begin widening outside (build new collector lanes), new Mavis ramps, construct Fletcher's Creek bridges, remove 2nd Line bridge
  • 2017: complete collector lanes and ramps, build 2nd line pedestrian bridge
  • 2018: move traffic to new collector lanes, reconstruct existing 401 lanes (future express lanes), complete new Fletcher's Creek bridges (the existing culvert is replaced by new structures)
  • 2019: complete express lanes, finalize barriers/overhead sign footings, etc. and paving
Once complete the HOV lanes can open from west of Mavis to 410.

Last edited:
During this year, there will be 4 separate construction contracts ongoing:
  1. 401/Mavis Bridge
  2. 403/410/401 Interchange Structures
  3. 401 Widening from Hurontario/Mavis to Credit
  4. 410 Widening from Eglinton to Queen
I thought the 403/410/401 interchange and the 401/Mavis Bridge were (bizarrely) the same contract. Though I haven't checked the website.

Sorry coming in a bit late here and admittedly don't know the history of the plans. Is the plan to have collector and express lanes from around the Credit River on-wards towards Toronto in both directions? (If it's too much to summarize, does anyone have a link to a website that explains the development plans here?)

If this is what they are doing, are there plans to extend this widening to the edge of Mississauga where the 401 exits towards Guelph?

Thanks

They are doing it in phases. I believe the next phase will take the collectors over the Credit, and under the already-constructed Mississauga Road overpass. That should put the merge west of Mississauga Road, eliminating a lot of the problems. I'm not sure where they sit on widening though Winston Churchill to Milton ... there's been talk of that, but not sure the time frame - or if the plan is still to do a simple 5-lane highway, or use the collector system any further west.

A 12 lane collector-express system (3-2-HOV-HOV-2-3) will run to Highway 25 in Milton, and after that it will be a 10 lane freeway (4-HOV-HOV-4) all the way to highway 8 in Cambridge. The part to Milton is funded, and is supposed to be done by the mid 2020's. MTO is supposedly going to issue a single P3 contract to widen the entire 18km of the 401 out to Highway 25 in the next few years. The current phase to the Credit is going to be done, then one gigantic project all the way to Milton.

There is also another 8km getting widened in Cambridge right now to 10 lanes.

A 12 lane collector-express system (3-2-HOV-HOV-2-3) will run to Highway 25 in Milton, and after that it will be a 10 lane freeway (4-HOV-HOV-4) all the way to highway 8 in Cambridge. The part to Milton is funded, and is supposed to be done by the mid 2020's. MTO is supposedly going to issue a single P3 contract to widen the entire 18km of the 401 out to Highway 25 in the next few years. The current phase to the Credit is going to be done, then one gigantic project all the way to Milton.

Five-km bypass, Hwy 401 widening to 10 lanes to ease Hwy 6 congestion in Morriston

The collector-express system is supposed to extend all the way to Milton? I thought it would end at the 407. I'd never expect it to ever extend beyond the GTA's urban area! I also don't understand why the widening in Cambridge doesn't extend to Hwy. 8 in Kitchener.

The collector-express system is supposed to extend all the way to Milton? I thought it would end at the 407. I'd never expect it to ever extend beyond the GTA's urban area! I also don't understand why the widening in Cambridge doesn't extend to Hwy. 8 in Kitchener.

The section between Hespeler Rd/Highway 24 and Highway *is* being widened. That is in progress right now. The rest of the 401 through Cambridge, east of Highway 24, will start when the current section is completed, starting around 2019.

The collector-express system is supposed to extend all the way to Milton? I thought it would end at the 407. I'd never expect it to ever extend beyond the GTA's urban area!
According to this article: http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2909670-report-discusses-hwy-401-widening-in-north-halton/

• Widening Hwy. 401 from six lanes to 12 lanes from Trafalgar to James Snow Parkway by building to the outside of existing lanes

• Widening Hwy. 401 from six lanes to 10 lanes from James Snow Parkway to Regional Road 25 by building to the outside of existing lanes
... maybe? That doesn't really describe the 12 lanes in detail.
Unfortunately, the project website is defunct: http://highway401milton.com/
And it was password protected when it was alive, and so the Internet Archive doesn't have any copies.

I've noticed they have cut all the trees down on either side of the Second Line West bridge (plus where the new collectors lanes will be!!). Is there a date set set as of yet when the bridge will actually come down?

There is such a lack on information on this project, other than the minimal amount of information on the "Southern Highways Program" on the MTO website. Too bad really as it is a very interesting project. Totally changing the face of the entire area! I drive down it every day and it is always exciting to see any bit of progress!

Back