News   May 03, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 572     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

2 New Livery BiLevel Coaches (No Cabs) at Lambton Yard this morning! didnt catch car #

I guess these will be delivered to Willowbrook via the Canpa Sub by Kipling?

2 New Livery BiLevel Coaches (No Cabs) at Lambton Yard this morning! didnt catch car #

I guess these will be delivered to Willowbrook via the Canpa Sub by Kipling?

That would be much too logical. They are interchanged to CN via the daily Lambton-Mac Yard transfer. Then CN takes them to Aldershot, onwards to Oakville, and thence to Willowbrook.

- Paul

That would be much too logical. They are interchanged to CN via the daily Lambton-Mac Yard transfer. Then CN takes them to Aldershot, onwards to Oakville, and thence to Willowbrook.

- Paul

I was going to suggest GO using an F59 to shuttle them from Lambton Yard and save some time, but given push-pull changes, you'd need a pair. Maybe too much trouble.

I was going to suggest GO using an F59 to shuttle them from Lambton Yard and save some time, but given push-pull changes, you'd need a pair. Maybe too much trouble.

Having a GO crew (plenty of whom are qualified for the Canpa Sub) come to Lambton for the GO cars would likely create a union issue. Having a CP crew set off at Willowbrook might do the same. CP used to have switching rights on the Oakville Sub but has likely given them up, so CN would want a cut in any event.

Personally, I would have the CP local job that switches the cat litter plant set them off on the Canpa mainline, just north of the signal at Canpa, and let GO come get them there, but there's probably an agreement preventing that also.

I don't know how much money CN charges for the last leg from Lambton to Willowbrook, but it's only money. Fewer headaches and arguments for everyone.

- Paul

Having a GO crew (plenty of whom are qualified for the Canpa Sub) come to Lambton for the GO cars would likely create a union issue. Having a CP crew set off at Willowbrook might do the same. CP used to have switching rights on the Oakville Sub but has likely given them up, so CN would want a cut in any event.

Couldn't you just do a hand-off onto the Kitchener or Milton line, and use Lakeshore West to get to Willowbrook?

I've heard that the new low floor buses are going to go in service in May. Apparently they will be put in use on the busy bus routes around the network to increase capacity, so Newmarket, Stouffville, etc. I've overhead Lincolnville based drivers saying they have been trained to drive them, so I presume that is going to be one of the first garages to get them. Its not a large garage though (only 9 buses IIRC), so other places may see them pretty quickly.

On that note, I think it'll be entertaining to see double decker buses in Uxbridge. Such a small town and the buses run generally empty that far up.. and there will be double deckers up there. Half of Lincolnville's jobs are running the train meet shuttles to Uxbridge, and running those with double deckers is not exactly efficient.

I've heard that the new low floor buses are going to go in service in May. Apparently they will be put in use on the busy bus routes around the network to increase capacity, so Newmarket, Stouffville, etc.

Are these low-floor buses that are not double-deckers? I haven't heard anything about that, that would be interesting...haven't seen any pics or anything. If you mean double-deckers, they can't be on Newmarket because they can't be on any routes that run to Union due to being too tall to clear the Bay/Yonge St. rail overpasses by the terminal.

Are these low-floor buses that are not double-deckers? I haven't heard anything about that, that would be interesting...haven't seen any pics or anything. If you mean double-deckers, they can't be on Newmarket because they can't be on any routes that run to Union due to being too tall to clear the Bay/Yonge St. rail overpasses by the terminal.

The newest low-floors are 20 cm shorter that the first gen Enviro500's, and 10 cm shorter than the second (current) gen, IIRC. This was done specifically so that they could serve Union. Now whether that means serve Union now or in the future is the question; the future bus terminal will be south of the rail corridor instead of north, which makes the Bay/Yonge St. rail overpasses a moot point.

The newest low-floors are 20 cm shorter that the first gen Enviro500's, and 10 cm shorter than the second (current) gen, IIRC. This was done specifically so that they could serve Union. Now whether that means serve Union now or in the future is the question; the future bus terminal will be south of the rail corridor instead of north, which makes the Bay/Yonge St. rail overpasses a moot point.

Interesting, I hadn't heard the new ones can serve Union. Awesome! A lot of Newmarket bus trips are packed full--been denied boarding before. The future bus terminal is just that, a future project, so I definitely hope they start using them now...no reason to wait 5 years if they can indeed clear the overpasses today.

Operationally, how do they prevent someone accidentally driver a taller bus under the underpass? There must be a procedure or process to make sure that the double decker they drive, can go to Union.

they will run to the current terminal. The new ones are apparently the height of a tractor trailer, so they fit pretty much anywhere.

The current buses have "approved routes" that have been vetted to ensure they fit. If it goes off route, an alarm starts ringing to alert the driver. I've heard people say that they have done detours due to road closures and the alarm, which is quite loud, rings the whole time.

And yes, I meant the double deckers.

Back