News   May 24, 2024
 9.2K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 502     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

The Fed raised US interest rates for the first time in a decade. Came here looking for entertaining posts predicting an imminent Toronto real estate collapse and was massively disappointed. This thread just isn't what it used to be.

How's this?
download (14).jpeg

Attachments

• download (14).jpeg
    download (14).jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 899
Eminent bubble fatigue set in for me a long time ago. The Toronto housing market has stayed irrational -- based on a fundamentals analysis -- longer than I expected. Given how severe the recession seemed in 2009, I expected that policy makers would seek to reign in easy money to bring some equilibrium back to the financial system, but the opposite happened with long term emergency rates and openness to offshore investors. I underestimated how much my peers were willing to sacrifice to own a home. Who knew how much offshore money was seeking safe keeping in real estate, and how much our politicians were willing to go in supporting those investments? I've learned a lot. I guess the emergency rates and debt binge was the short-term solution by the Fed (with other Central banks following along), and I guess the long-term view was that inflation and economic growth will correct the debt imbalance. Will housing prices eventually stagnate while inflation occurs in other things? The housing related wealth enjoyed by retiring baby boomers will be gradually transferred to younger generations through inflation (and inheritance), and an eventual correction (someday) will also help younger people buy homes.

Last edited:
Mortgage fraud poses key threat to Canada's financial system: OSFI
I wouldn't worry about this. Once interest rates increase all these fraudsters will be forced out of the market, meanwhile housing prices will not decline dramatically due to lack of supply, even with the fraudsters removed from the demand pool.

I doubt the idea that prices won't go down dramatically. Assets of all kinds can stay irrational longer than you can time a top.

There is virtually no chance incomes rise in Canada to support housing valuations, given the oil backdrop, global economic slump and the fact most of the output in Canada since 2009 came from housing. The housing market is richly valued and with economic output dropping prices will follow just as quickly as they rose. Markets always mean revert. Have so in all of man's history

What?

What? Have so what?

He's saying that market valuations always revert back to the mean. In other words, prices eventually correct to align with the underlying fundamentals. And that this is consistent with historical trends.

Eventually, the market will realize that crappy Toronto houses and condos are not worth the prices being asked (nor are the prices sustainable without dramatic intervention and manipulation), and the market will come back to reality (or at least closer to it).

There aren't many people buying new homes or pre-con condos anymore.. I've already listed my properties and will relocate to Ottawa. Bye bye Toronto.

There aren't many people buying new homes or pre-con condos anymore.. I've already listed my properties and will relocate to Ottawa. Bye bye Toronto.

Really? I thought 2014/15 had a very high number of condo starts in the GTA.

a lot of stupid in the last page. just because you don't like something or won't pay a million dollars for it doesn't mean other people won't.

Wow, this thread was started in 2009 and has currently hit 10,000 replies (10,001 with this one)! It's quite interesting to re-read some of the posts from 6 years ago and reflect upon how much (or how little, depending on which point of view you're taking) things have changed since then.

It's the same bs as always. Bubble just keeps getting bigger every year. Seven years isn't really that long when you're talking about multi decade investments.

It will end in tears for many.

It already has. I recall stories between 2005 and 2009 on people who were selling their home, expecting to rent for a few years, then buy it back cheaper. I personally know more than a few people who were holding out on lower prices in 2006 when they had a downpayment and ended up buying at much higher prices many years later.

I wouldn't buy into todays market with the expectation that prices will increase BUT I also wouldn't sit on a downpayment expecting they'll drop soon either.

Last edited:

Back