News   Jun 03, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 749     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I wonder how Presto will work with the 512 St. Clair, which operates on a 2 hour transfer. I use that route quite often since it's nice to be able to grab some groceries and go back home on one fare.
That's a "trial". Trials end... one day... when Joe Mihevc isn't looking...

Last night I got on the 509 to Union at Prince's gates, realized I had forgotten something where I got on, took the streetcar all the way back got off, caught the same steetcar going back and the presto reader declined my tap. It had been 30 maybe 40 minutes between taps and yet it still rejected the fare. The driver told me it needs certain amount of time to "reset" and to simply explain the situation should a fare inspector ask. The time limit between taps is to prevent passbacks and accidental taps right? Seems odd that I could ride nearly the entirety of the 509 twice and still be declined.

Last night I got on the 509 to Union at Prince's gates, realized I had forgotten something where I got on, took the streetcar all the way back got off, caught the same steetcar going back and the presto reader declined my tap. It had been 30 maybe 40 minutes between taps and yet it still rejected the fare. The driver told me it needs certain amount of time to "reset" and to simply explain the situation should a fare inspector ask. The time limit between taps is to prevent passbacks and accidental taps right? Seems odd that I could ride nearly the entirety of the 509 twice and still be declined.

Has this happened to anyone else here? Hopefully that's just a bug.

Has this happened to anyone else here? Hopefully that's just a bug.

Nope, I experienced it back on the first day, in November 2014, when Presto first went live on the LFLRVs. Since there were only a couple at the time, I boarded one to try Presto on it. Got back on the same car a while later, elsewhere on the route, by chance, and I tried tapping to see what would happen--reader lit up red and said error/declined, or something of the sort. Tried various readers on the car, all were saying declined, tried another car and it worked fine. This was very concerning as it would not let me pay my fare, as it was treating it as already paid, whereas in fact the TTC's fare policy is such that one would indeed have to pay again. So all of this talk about Metrolinx's work having to honour/support the TTC's fare/transfer policy is bogus...all the way since Nov 2014 the new streetcars don't allow another presto tap, even riding the car in the opposite direction at another stop.

There will be some bugs to work out as Presto goes live on streetcars. Even Brad Ross is admitting they need to figure out how to deal with changing streetcars due to a short-turn.

Really, the best option is to allow 2-hour transfers, but the TTC is afraid of the up to $20 million they expect to lose in fare revenue. And don't expect John Tory's administration to make up the difference; it's still too focused on cost cutting (at least everywhere except the police).

I wrote about the problem (and the solution) on my blog on Friday.

http://seanmarshall.ca/2015/12/04/its-time-for-two-hour-transfers-on-the-ttc/

Last edited:
I totally agree, Presto taps becomes a 2-hour timed pass (unlimited transit in any direction for a period of 2 hours, including roundtrips made within the prescribed time).

It also sort of creates an indirect fare-by-distance, since you can only travel so far in 2 hours.

People already abuse transfers, so TTC might not even lose as much as $20M.

There will be some bugs to work out as Presto goes live on streetcars. Even Brad Ross is admitting they need to figure out how to deal with changing streetcars due to a short-turn.

Really, the best option is to allow 2-hour transfers, but the TTC is afraid of the up to $20 million they expect to lose in fare revenue. And don't expect John Tory's administration to make up the difference; it's still too focused on cost cutting (at least everywhere except the police).

I wrote about the problem (and the solution) on my blog on Friday.

http://seanmarshall.ca/2015/12/04/its-time-for-two-hour-transfers-on-the-ttc/

I am not envious of the engineers having to implement Presto. It must be maddening dealing with all the edge cases of the various transit agencies.

So a very common type of trip would be, you get on a bus at Eglinton, tap the card, then the bus goes to Eglinton station bus bay. You get off, take the subway to another station, say King. You then transfer to the King streetcar and tap a 2nd time. Hopefully you only get charged once for the above trip

More than once I've board
So a very common type of trip would be, you get on a bus at Eglinton, tap the card, then the bus goes to Eglinton station bus bay. You get off, take the subway to another station, say King. You then transfer to the King streetcar and tap a 2nd time. Hopefully you only get charged once for the above trip
Well, they are saying that if you tap in at Scarborough Centre is should work now - so no reason to think it won't with bus.

It will be interesting to see how they've implemented this. The hints in the various twitter exchanges is that they've kludged it with a time-period transfer that accepts just about anything EXCEPT when you transfer to the same route you were already in.

Which would be a big problem, given how frequently one is short-turned, or does make a valid transfer from the same route, to the same route.

It will be interesting to see how they've implemented this. The hints in the various twitter exchanges is that they've kludged it with a time-period transfer that accepts just about anything EXCEPT when you transfer to the same route you were already in.
Except that we have posts here saying that on the 509 at least, you can transfer on to the same route

I am not envious of the engineers having to implement Presto. It must be maddening dealing with all the edge cases of the various transit agencies.

Maddening is bad enough - engineers like brain puzzles. The troubling part is the cost of adding the functionality.

- Paul

Except that we have posts here saying that on the 509 at least, you can transfer on to the same route
Have we? Vaas mentioned above that he'd not been able to successfully tap onto the SAME 509 he'd already tapped on in the other direction a few minutes earlier. Did I miss one that reported what happened with 2 different 509 vehicles?

Maddening is bad enough - engineers like brain puzzles. The troubling part is the cost of adding the functionality.
Amost any engineering project is - it's the costs that are often insurmountable.

Though the cynic in me doubts there are any engineers involved in this! Or anyone who actually lives in Toronto given they seem to have forgotten to account for something as common as a short-turn!

Back