Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

This may be the first time I've ever seen two GO train pass each other in opposite directions at Bloor GO. Approx. 8:05am this morning. The westbound train was not in-service yet at the time (first train around 9am).

This may be the first time I've ever seen two GO train pass each other in opposite directions at Bloor GO. Approx. 8:05am this morning. The westbound train was not in-service yet at the time (first train around 9am).
the first or second day of the new mid-day service I was on the EB train that met that WB train at Bloor and, yes, was "weird" sitting on a train in our corridor and seeing a train on the other platform.

I'll buy a beer for whoever takes a single photo that includes all of the following:
  • Westbound Kitchener train
  • Eastbound Kitchener train
  • Westbound UP
  • Easbound UP
  • Milton train in either direction
(Mind you, not sure if this is actually possible with tracks and scheduling)

I'll buy a beer for whoever takes a single photo that includes all of the following:
  • Westbound Kitchener train
  • Eastbound Kitchener train
  • Westbound UP
  • Easbound UP
  • Milton train in either direction
(Mind you, not sure if this is actually possible with tracks and scheduling)
You will not get a shot like this since UP trains are about 8 minutes apart at Dundas or Wallace overpass.

So now that the Pan Am Games and summer is over and all the kiddies are back at school, have they released any data on daily ridership on the UPX.

You will not get a shot like this since UP trains are about 8 minutes apart at Dundas or Wallace overpass.

Scheduling isn't perfect. :) I have two photos taken less than one minute apart (Sept 4 8:13am) of UP trains heading in different directions on different tracks at Bloor station.

The claim that UP Express ridership will go up to 5000/day is BS. Clearly the UP Express has been a failure with half the projected ridership. This is not very surprising given how high UP Express fares are. I think that very few people are willing to pay such high prices to go to the airport when the TTC 192 is much cheaper, when Metrolinx is competing with itself by offering the 34 from North York Centre and the 40 from Hamilton, Square One and Richmond Hill Centre, and when taking a taxi/Uber is often cheaper if you are with more than 1 person. It is much cheaper per km to drive on the 407 than take the UP Express, and everyone thinks that 407 tolls are too high.

Also I am amused that only 5000 people total (total in 3 months of operation, not per day) have bought tickets through partners like VIA Rail and Air Canada.

Metrolinx is going to have to cut fares to prevent the UP Express from being an embarrassment that hurts its reputation. In the long term, the UP Express may be replaced by SmartTrack.

Back