Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

Looks like they've started cleaning the brick
They've been working on it for a couple of days now. Some of the scaffolding right at the corner has been taken down. It's been there for years, so it felt odd walking through an open space today!

The horrible condition of this building is a blight on the intersection, not the actual building itself. Couldn't have guessed that was the actual colour of the brick. So I guess they will be keeping the facade in-situ (5ive) instead of dismantling and reinstalling it (EY Tower).

AoD

In a similar vein, I wonder why they don't just integrate the addition to the warehouse into one or both of the towers and keep the factory relatively unscathed? That addition just looks out of place and unnecessary imo

More Loblaws, from across Bathurst Street. No bricks cleaned on this side yet:

DSC01891.jpg
DSC01892.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01891.jpg
    DSC01891.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSC01892.jpg
    DSC01892.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,220
The continuation of Warm by Night, a Concord Adex project... Does this mean Concord Adex will play a role in the residential portion of the project?

Called it!

Concord Adex has officially been unveiled as a partner in the project during a media event this morning.

Its now called West Block.......................http://westblock.com/

Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust and Wittington Properties Limited unveil "West Block" redevelopment plans for revitalizing prominent intersection

TORONTO, Aug. 5, 2015 /CNW/ - Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust ("Choice Properties") (TSX: CHP.UN), in a joint venture partnership with Wittington Properties Limited, today unveiled its plans to revitalize and restore the original Loblaw Groceterias building to create West Block, an urban community that combines retail shops anchored by a Loblaws Great food store, with office space and two residential towers.

West Block Quick Facts:
    • Property spans an entire city block, consisting of approximately 3.5 acres of land;
    • The seven storey commercial building will be approximately 245,000 square feet of gross leasable area, fronting onto Lake Shore Boulevard West;
    • The commercial building will include a 50,000 square foot Loblaws Great food store, complementary retail and office space;
    • Concord Adex, which has entered into an agreement to acquire the air rights to the property, will be constructing two residential towers which will be 37 and 41 storeys in height, containing 876 dwelling units in total with a residential gross floor area of approximately 575,000 square feet;
    • Under the Gardiner Expressway, a common space will showcase the culture and vibrancy of Toronto through a display of public art;
    • Three levels of underground parking is proposed with a total of approximately 600 parking spaces;
    • West Block is projected to open by Spring 2019;
More.......http://news.sys-con.com/node/3400686

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wish they'd move the office space to the towers and leave the old warehouse untouched but this addition is somewhat more respectful than the original plans so I can live with it myself.

I still wish they'd move the office space to the towers and leave the old warehouse untouched but this addition is somewhat more respectful than the original plans so I can live with it myself.

I am just glad they are moving on this instead of sitting on the building until it is beyond help. The office addition on top is also the kind of densification I'd like to see for the site (commercial use, fairly discreet in scale).

As to the residential towers, I am not hopeful about their architectural quality, though it'd fit in rather well in that case.

AoD

Last edited:

Back