Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

jozl

Member Bio
Reaction score
The York Street ramp off of the Gardiner is slated to be removed and reconfigured to align with the recently approved Hybrid version of the eastern section of the Gardiner.
I wish the York Street ramp could stay after traffic has been rerouted to the new ramp. The old ramp could be converted for pedestrian use. I love the circular park the ramp defines both inside and outside of its perimeter. It's very cozy in there and the pedestrian ramp would provide a nice urban view.
Does anyone know what is slated for this parcel of land? Another condo? A park? Any ideas?

York Ramp.jpg

Attachments

• York Ramp.jpg
    York Ramp.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,306
FYI the removal of the offramp has nothing to do with the eastern Gardiner. The area where the off ramp is will become a park.

AoD

Thanks Alvino. I'll try to find the plans for the proposed park.

.. says construction is to start in 2016, but if they need to expropriate the land could that set up a series of lawsuits that see the start date pushed back ?

I'm no expropriation expert, but from what I understand, landowners can challenge the value of the land to be expropriated (i.e. the amount of the payment they will receive), but that such challenges do not delay the expropriation itself and often work their way through the system long after the land had long been acquired by the municipality. There are no real means to challenge the expropriation itself. One can go to court challenging whether there has been compliance with the legislation, with the usual attack being that the expropriation isn't actually needed for a public purpose. Here, where they want the land for a long-planned off-ramp, and the need for expropriation seems mainly driven by a desire to get around condo rules, I don't see there being lawsuits that would delay the process. But someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Commodity: Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Construction of a new ramp from the Eastbound F.G. Gardiner Expressway at Lower Simcoe Street
Bids are invited for Construction of a new ramp from the Eastbound F.G. Gardiner Expressway at Lower Simcoe Street, including (but not limited to) traffic control, construction of foundations, fabrication and erection of steel girders, construction of concrete deck and superstructure, construction of a retained soil system abutment, installation of helical piles, and installation of a fixed automated anti-icing spray technology system; Demolition of the existing York-Bay-Yonge off ramp from west of Lower Simcoe Street to west of Bay Street; Roadway improvements at grade on Harbour Street from Lower Simcoe Street to east of Bay Street including streetlighting, traffic signals, RESCU plant, planters and landscaping, dedicated cycling facilities, and modifications to the storm sewer system, all in accordance with the provisions and specifications contained in the Request for Tender document, the City of Toronto's Procurement Policies, the Pricing Form(s), the City of Toronto Fair Wage Policy and Labour Trades Contractual Obligations in the Construction Industry, and any other applicable policies.
Issue date: March 31, 2016
ecblank.gif
Closing date: April 28, 2016
at 12:00 Noon
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Buyer: Hung, Amy
ecblank.gif
Phone number: 416-397-7251
Email: ahung2@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif

The report recommends a three-lane ramp to prevent traffic from backing up onto the Gardiner. Given the length of the new ramp and what happens during rush hour at Spadina this seems a bit optimistic.

Can a mod move this to transportation? Also, what a traffic nightmare the next year will be, are they modifying the spadina offramp to allow straight through or syncing the traffic lights up Spadina ?

No word on how they'll handle traffic at Spadina yet, but I imagine there may be a lane opened to handle it... Unless they figure that the jams would be even larger at Spadina. None of that will happen until June 2017 in any case. Read the front page story and you'll see that the shutdown will only be 6 months long.

I'll aim to move this to Transportation this evening when I'm home. Can't do it from my phone!

Back