News   May 08, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 568     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 805     0 

What's your work commute during PanAm? (TTC/MiWay/HSR/GOtrains for free!)

Another twitter reply I hadn't added yet, I've now added:

TTC Customer Service ‏@TTChelps 15h15 hours ago
@mdrejhon Yes, a ticket will provide you with travel for the entire day - including your morning work commute. Pretty cool, right? ^SM

Slightly off topic but still Pan Ams and traffic related......anyone seen those temporary signs that they have put up supposedly to help people get to the venues? Was looking at the ones on the 427 north last night....using 3 letters for sports/venues makes it seem like they are directing you to an airport you didn't know existed....I am guessing they were trying to get you to the Etobicoke Olympium but, for the life of me, I have know idea what the letters stood for.

The 3-letter codes are on the venue map - http://www.toronto2015.org/venues

Ticketmaster seems to be using them as well. The soccer in Hamilton is HAM

The Pan-Am bowling centre in Etobicoke is PLB and the Centennial Park BMX is CEB. Hershey Centre in Mississauga is MIS.

Here's the PanAm transit map, as a PDF.

I just got the first set of PanAm tickets in the mail, and it has the 3-letter code of the venue that I'm supposed to attend. It also has information where to find information, like transit.

The below image has all the three-letter venue codes. That said, participating transit agencies I've contacted so far, appear to be letting us use the PamAm ticket as a de-facto daypass all day long, even for routes not shown on this map -- as a means of keeping our car off the road.

Given the huge number of venues, I think it's not a bad idea as far as I know -- all the athletes are receiving "info packages" before they fly in, and they all have the stadium codes, so they know where to go...

Also the PanAm app (iPhone, Android) references these codes.

panam-transit.png

(Credit: Government of Ontario PDF)

At the bottom, is the logos of all participating transit agencies for free transit.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• panam-transit.png
    panam-transit.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
The 3-letter codes are on the venue map - http://www.toronto2015.org/venues

Ticketmaster seems to be using them as well. The soccer in Hamilton is HAM

The Pan-Am bowling centre in Etobicoke is PLB and the Centennial Park BMX is CEB. Hershey Centre in Mississauga is MIS.

I understand....but, given how many unsold tickets there are, they might have been better putting directional signs that might also have been a bit of marketing.

Someone driving around isn't going to see CEB and think "yeah, I should go to that"...but if the sign said BMX events he might think "my kids are into that and it is near here....I should buy tickets."

Just seems a missed opportunity.

The road signs aren't marketing, they are directions.

So HAM is the Hamilton venue. I was there today and noticed the signs on the 403 indicate to take the "Main West" off-ramp, then a sign indicates to head toward McMaster University. Why is that? Are they having people park there and then sending them by shuttle bus to Tim Horton's Field?

I'll be one pissed off taxpayer if Brampton Transit is giving free rides....."Hey, we didn't use your 5k arena for anything....instead we squeezed one of the most popular sports (basketball) into a sub-3k arena and spent money building a temporary facility for volleyball*....we know those would have worked great in your arena but, hey, thanks for subsidizing the games with free transit rides to other places!"

*this is the venue that I am most angry about....I am a sports fan....I like that we are building some sporting legacy and don't query the spending on the games that does that....but when you don't use a modern arena for a sport perfectly suited for it but, instead, spend money building a temporary facility that will disappear after the games....I get annoyed.
Didn't Brampton City Council unanimously vote to not bid for any events? (see link)
Brampton was considered a potential host city, but in June 2012 City Council decided, by unanimous vote, not to bid for any of the events citing limited and unconfirmed financial information, a lack of certainty over the financial resources being committed by the private sector, as well as a lack of time to undertake a feasibility study or to perform the necessary due diligence before the deadline. They also felt is was not compatible with Council’s goal of ‘a zero property tax impact.’

“Brampton is one of the best cities in the world, my hometown and a great sports city,” said State Minister for Sports Bal Gosal. “It was shocking when I got a letter from the (then) mayor’s office that they are not participating in Pan Am Games.
Blame your local Council, not the Pan Am Committee.

Didn't Brampton City Council unanimously vote to not bid for any events? (see link)

Blame your local Council, not the Pan Am Committee.

The missing part in the background of that article is that Brampton was only asked to bid for sports that involved massive capital expenditure and , yes, they did not bid on those because they felt the financial framework was too open ended.

Unlike Oshawa's GM Centre and Mississauga's Hershey.....the city was not given "credit" for money already invested in sporting infrastructure.

When did Toronto bid on Volleyball? I don't remember that bidding process that said "I know we could host this elsewhere for virtually nothing....but let's build a temporary facility inside the Direct Energy centre that we can tear down later".

All that aside, whatever lead to Brampton being shut out of the games, and whatever lead to Brampton seeing no transit improvements for these games...that is in the past....my point in this thread is that it is then a bit much to then ask the taxpayers in Brampton to give away transit rides just because there happens to be something going on in other cities.

Toronto was part of the bid for the entire games. Brampton wasn't.

I'm not sure why those in Brampton are whining. They declined to participate. How much is the subsidy that Brampton Transit receiving for the Pan Am games compared to the cost of providing these (often off-peak) free rides?

Toronto was part of the bid for the entire games. Brampton wasn't.

I'm not sure why those in Brampton are whining. They declined to participate.

Funny because when the bid was being put together the provincial government was very careful to tell us that the games were not just for Toronto but that they were Golden Horseshoe games.....and bids do change....as this one talked about things like a new track and field stadium in Hamilton.

Point is we are building temporary facilities when perfectly good permanent facilities are around.

How much is the subsidy that Brampton Transit receiving for the Pan Am games compared to the cost of providing these (often off-peak) free rides?

I have asked several people to tell me who is paying for the free transit and I will drop this issue fast if it turns out, as is their right, that the Pan Am folks are writing a cheque to BT (and other agencies) to give free rides during the games.

No one has been able to tell me about any subsidy coming from the games to cover this cost....just that Metrolinx and to2015 decided this was the way to go.

So if you have information about someone else covering the cost and I will move on from this....but no one has given me evidence that is the case.

The Globe was reporting as early as 2014 that subsidies were being provided. Presumably related to how much service is being added.

How much additional service is Brampton running for the games?

The Globe was reporting as early as 2014 that subsidies were being provided. Presumably related to how much service is being added.

How much additional service is Brampton running for the games?

None that I know of....the question we (or at least I ) are talking about is a transit agency giving up fares to someone who happens to have a ticket to an event taking place in another city...the discussion was not about added service. Revenue is going to be lost.

If Brampton isn't adding any extra service, there are no extra costs. With the push for people to take transit rather than drive, I wouldn't be surprised if what little (if any) revenue is lost by people already taking transit not having to pay because they have a game ticket for later in the day, is replaced by extra revenue from those not driving.

Either way, the numbers must be quite small in the bigger picture of things.

So possibly no actual cost for Brampton. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting a subsidy from the games for each person who does use their Pan Am tickets. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually profit from this.

Back