Votes: 37 25.2%
  • Between 45 minutes and 1 hour

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Between 1 to 1½ hours

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Over 1½ hours

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
The Toronto to 'sauga commutes are from my impression, really really bad.

When my dad was job hunting, we've found that commutes to the Mississauga business parks were on average 20-25 minutes longer drive than to Markham or to Liberty Village (via subway+streetcar) from Midtown.

People always say that the Midtown GO line would have lowish ridership. I wonder how true that actually is, and whether it should even matter as it would unlock all kinds of new commute patterns not previously thought possible with transit.
Hurontario LRT, combined with all-day 2-way frequent Lakeshore GO RER (and Brampton GO RER, once they figure out how to extend RER from Bramalea), will probably massively speed up counter-peak commutes to Mississauga. But the midtown problem still needs to be solved -- ECLRT should be extended to Hurontario. Sleep in the hibernate machine, or continually-refreshing teleporter buffer (STTNG: "Relics") till around 2025-2030 and your midtown-to-Milton transit commute is probably solved.

The missing link: For those too far south of Eglinton but too far north of Bloor, and maybe too far from the Yonge subway, there's a problem though. The tempting North Toronto Subdivision also beckons as another way to do a crosstown east/west commute, but cramming another pair of tracks through there, is probably at least a couple of decades from becoming a "Metrolinx 2051" proposal as part of a Milton RER connection.

It is funny, however, that the young folks who live in the city but commute to the 905 (and just watching the traffic on the other side of the street as I commute I can confirm this has been a huge growing trend in the last 10 - 15 years) never (nor should they) be told "move closer to work".....whereas some of us who make the opposite choice (live in the 905 and commute into the city) have been hearing it for a long time with some regularity. ;)
Before I did my current job, I had wanted to commute from downtown Toronto to Markham, or from Riverdale area to Kitchener-Waterloo (which I ended up doing for a six month contract). I also lived in Ottawa and worked in Montreal for a one-year contract.

For those longer commutes I rented a cheap room in the destination city and commuted Monday mornings and returned home on Friday evenings, via VIA train. As a result, now have enough VIA Preference points for my half of a free premium sleeper to Vancouver from Toronto on the Canadian. Briefly, I was a VIA Preference Premier member (highest possible) but my contract ended before I was able to begin to rack up those triple trip points. Oh well. Now I have to pay for my spouse's half as the points don't quite cover both of us! (oh well, I know, First World Problems)

Last edited:
It is funny, however, that the young folks who live in the city but commute to the 905 (and just watching the traffic on the other side of the street as I commute I can confirm this has been a huge growing trend in the last 10 - 15 years) never (nor should they) be told "move closer to work".....whereas some of us who make the opposite choice (live in the 905 and commute into the city) have been hearing it for a long time with some regularity. ;)

And there are plenty of urban places in the 905 as well. I'm about 20 minutes by foot to the old downtown, and I am likely going to move even closer to there in the next year.

The only (former) municipality I can think of which bulldozed all these places in the name of "progress" is Scarborough.

It's really interesting to hear about the downtown commutes from outside of the GTA. I know of a few people who do it too and they appreciate the time on the GO to do productive things as opposed to sitting in traffic, stuck and not being able to read, write emails, etc.
You are definitely not alone! Ditto the other comments here, I would choose living where I want to live over living where I work...without a doubt.
About my 1.5h commute:

For a long time, I struggled about whether I would move to a place that forced me to have hourlong-or-longer daily commutes. (~1.5h house-to-cubicle, via GO). Originally, I set a very hard limit of a 30 minute commute, but for a number of years, I took long distance contracts (see above) which got me used to longer commutes. For literally a decade I have no longer been single, so that aspect of my life has diminished, so that has long de-prioritized, with less need to live in the core of a bustling metropolis.

Instead, we found a neighborhood -- the type whose next-door neighbour actually gave us apple pie when we moved there; and the intersection nearby had a neighbourhood fireworks party this last Victoria's Day weekend, and our new best friends are neighbours half a block away. Their kids love our swimming pool and we have made 10x more friends here in the last year than we did living 3 years in Toronto (downtown and Riverdale). Where we live, is very neighbourly in the old-fashioned walkable urban-suburban style (far more walkable than modern suburbs), yet we actually are only a 10 minute bike ride from Hamilton downtown, and within walking distance of lots of shopping and high-rated inexpensive restaurants. No wonder a portion of our neighbours are Torontoians, and a great place to also raise kids as it's affordable here. It is not as fancy or gentrified as many areas of Toronto is, but it is a lovely 1920s style brick-house neighborhood, and the support networks we now have, actually makes my 3 hours of daily roundtrip commute worth it. If necessary, we can afford the house on one income instead of two like normally in Toronto. Where in Toronto does your next door neighbour surprise you with apple pie when you move next door? And where in Toronto can you buy a 4-bedroom detached house with backyard swimming pool -- for a mortgage payment AND cost of utilities totalling less than what I paid for 2-bedroom rent in Toronto? It is a situation like this that I decided the 1-to-1.5 hour commute was tolerable, especially since I can relax, read, and surf in a seat on a GOtrain. And eventually, perhaps five or ten years from now I'll be working locally, maybe even my existing job. I have space for a large home office too. Back in Toronto I was not saving a penny for retirement because Toronto was extremely expensive for us, and lost the housing-market bandwagon everywhere else except lower-priced markets such as Hamilton. So it was kind of a mid-life crisis to decide to buy our first house (and also hopefully, last house) in Hamilton. It had to be a really good house and really good walkable score, to compensate for the long commute. The city may not be the town of the best reputation but it is apparently a surprisingly good city to raise kids in; from what we're seeing of the numerous babies, toddlers, and kids on our streets. We live in the middle of a mixed neighbourhood where two blocks south is a million-dollar house, and two blocks north is a couple of shuttered storefronts (with one new store opening up, street showing promise over the next 15 years) and a few few fix-me-uppers that actually have people working on them to improve their decripit shape (probably because they noticed the strength of the house market). Homeowners mingle more friendly and freely with renters here. Air here in our neighbourhood in Hamilton is much cleaner than Toronto (surprisingly, given the industrial areas a few kilometers north). And anecdotes from old residents tells us there used to be prostitutes on our street, but that families have invaded the whole ward territory now. The stories abound when my spouse surveyed neighbours around prospecting houses all over the place. Nowadays, it apparently appears to be a better childhood climate for middle class than 416 Toronto currently is where parents have to overwork themselves to death to pay for their near-million-dollar house, rather than a modest rent-like mortgage. Being middle class is much less of a struggle. It seems that there is a mini baby boom going on in our ward, with more newborns in this specific area of city per capita, than a typical Toronto street, probably because it is so much more affordable to raise a family here. Plus, I was already priced out of many major cities since the 1990s.

Ironically, the former owners of this house were Torontoians that decided to move to Liberty Village, because they couldn't handle the long commute. So I realize it is not for everyone. Some don't come, some leave, and some stay. Very tough decisions were made in the commute-versus-quality-of-life balance, but it worked out okay at the end.

I read a recent newspaper article here in Hamilton that a $199,000 detached got bidded up to $300,000 unconditional (no, that's not my house) -- 50% premium, and that was, I think, a 3-bedroom. This housing market is scary for those who don't own, but want to own. When I started house hunting, there was a small 1-bedroom bungalow (detached) within 15 minute walk of gentrified Locke, for just a mere 3-figure mortgage monthly payment! That was a mere 1.5 years ago. I think those days are now gone. But then again, in year 2015, where do you even *find* a $300K fully detached house in Toronto that's not in a rural area, and still only 10 minute drive from a downtown core (Hamilton)? Even that can be a mortgage for less rent the price of a downtown 1-bedroom at current interest rates. The market may be ready to crash but some of us have been waiting 10 years for the market to crash -- and look at how permanently 'overpriced' places like New York City and Tokyo are for the last 30 years. We considered capitulating buying an ~800qft two bed condo, and that may now be the New Generation of house ownership in the 21st century with more sustainable densification, but at the time we were hunting for a house, we were not yet priced out of Hamilton.... Yet.

So, that's the story I offer for being one of the rare people on UrbanToronto who voted as having "1-1.5h of commute", even though I used to have a rule of being no more than 30 minute commute from work.

Last edited:
Hurontario LRT, combined with all-day 2-way frequent Lakeshore GO RER (and Brampton GO RER, once they figure out how to extend RER from Bramalea), will probably massively speed up counter-peak commutes to Mississauga. But the midtown problem still needs to be solved -- ECLRT should be extended to Hurontario. Sleep in the hibernate machine, or continually-refreshing teleporter buffer (STTNG: "Relics") till around 2025-2030 and your midtown-to-Milton transit commute is probably solved.

The missing link: For those too far south of Eglinton but too far north of Bloor, and maybe too far from the Yonge subway, there's a problem though. The tempting North Toronto Subdivision also beckons as another way to do a crosstown east/west commute, but cramming another pair of tracks through there, is probably at least a couple of decades from becoming a "Metrolinx 2051" proposal as part of a Milton RER connection.

You see, the problem with that is that the jobs in Mississauga are not at Square One or on Hurontario. They are in the business parks of 401&Mississauga Road and between Dixie and Tomken Road north of Eglinton. Not easily reachable by Hurontario, and a massive walk to reach from the GO Stations alone.

From my experience, traffic both IN and OUT of the 416 is equally heavy during rush hour. There's definitely a large number of people travelling from the 416 out to the 905 these days versus the traditional 905 to 416 arrangement.

From my experience, traffic both IN and OUT of the 416 is equally heavy during rush hour.
When I'm heading west on the Gardiner in AM peak, I'm normally moving pretty well - the other direction looks far worse. When I get out to the 401, I normally proceed westbound with no issues. The incoming lanes look far worse.

I think that the traffic into the 416 is heavier than out of the 416.

From my experience, traffic both IN and OUT of the 416 is equally heavy during rush hour. There's definitely a large number of people travelling from the 416 out to the 905 these days versus the traditional 905 to 416 arrangement.

That's not been my experience driving home Markham each day at 5:30pm. Except for the 401/DVP interchange, I fly down the dvp compared to those poor buggers going north.

When I'm heading west on the Gardiner in AM peak, I'm normally moving pretty well - the other direction looks far worse. When I get out to the 401, I normally proceed westbound with no issues. The incoming lanes look far worse.

I agree, I drove from the Danforth to Hamilton three days a week for about four months and inbound AM traffic was definitely worse than outbound.

Even though my commute is down to a rough 10-30 minutes a day (as opposed to the 2-3 hours it was when I was living in Pickering for a couple years), I am so sick of driving. I'd rather have a 1 hour commute on a train than a 20 minute commute by car. Unfortunately, I'm a construction manager and so driving is my only option. My tools alone wouldn't fit on four train seats....not to mention material and towing I have to deal with.

I used to love driving, until I had to do it daily for the last 9 years to get to and from work. (The driving ability of people in southern Ontario doesn't help...can we please make it harder for people to get a licence?)

Are you ever tempted to bypass that intersection on the way up by taking Mill St and Old Yonge to the pedestrian underpass under the 401?
Nah, I don't ride on sidewalks since my average speed is 30km/h. Also, making all those turns would just add time to my trip. I go straight up Yonge and don't make a single turn until Finch since it is the fastest route to my office.

So, that's the story I offer for being one of the rare people on UrbanToronto who voted as having "1-1.5h of commute", even though I used to have a rule of being no more than 30 minute commute from work.

I'm happy to hear you've found a home to be proud of. The neighborhood sounds lovely. The hardest part, I believe, is finding that right balance in life!

You're probably right. I'm likely just (un)fortunate enough to be stuck in the middle of the heaviest stretch of the 401, thereby it seems like no matter which way you go, in or out of the city, it's jammed up. :eek:

That's not been my experience driving home Markham each day at 5:30pm. Except for the 401/DVP interchange, I fly down the dvp compared to those poor buggers going north.

Coming in from Markham, isn't the 401 pretty much backed up everywhere in the Scarborough stretch? It's been a while since I've driven that in rush hour but it always seems to be backed up between Warden Rd and McCowan Rd.

You see, the problem with that is that the jobs in Mississauga are not at Square One e, dat... ThT on Hurontario. They are in the business parks of 401&Mississauga Road and between Dixie and Tomken Road north of Eglinton. Not easily reachable by Hurontario, and a massive walk to reach from the GO Stations alone.
True, dat. That is why I think ECLRT should be extended through Airport Corporate Centre, to Hurontario. Or GO RER Eglinton Corridor (otherwise called SmartTrack...)

I agree, I drove from the Danforth to Hamilton three days a week for about four months and inbound AM traffic was definitely worse than outbound.

It's interesting, actually. I live in Etobicoke and drive counterpeak on the QEW nearly everyday, and there are certain points where counterpeak (eastbound in PM) are just as busy as westbound. Eastbound in PM Peak from Erin Mills to Mississauga Road / Hurontario is extremely busy, for instance. Westbound at Highway 427 / West Mall / Dixie is also a bad pinch point in the AM peak (this is where I access the QEW).

I wouldn't say that traffic IN and OUT of Toronto is equally bad, but there are definitely stretches of road where the counterpeak traffic can be just as busy. Compared to ten years ago, especially, it is quite the difference.

Last edited:

Back