PDA

View Full Version : Discovery 1 & 2 (Concord Park Place, Concord Adex, 2x 28 + 16 + 12s, Quadrangle)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

scarberiankhatru
2007-Dec-02, 20:57
It shouldn't be completed for the sake of improving transit-oriented redevelopment, it should be completed for the sake of everything east of Don Mills and for overall transit use in the city...complexes like ParkPlace are just the bonus (a bonus that will, indirectly through tax dollars, pay off the capital cost of the line).

Edward Skira
2007-Dec-02, 23:29
Was at Ikea yesterday and took a good look around. The first phase, north of Ikea and east of Cdn Tire, will be a 1 minute walk to Leslie Station once the road under the Go tracks is complete. That will certainly add traffic to that station. The rest is maybe a 5-10 minute walk at most to Bessarion Station. Concord Park Place will generate traffic for the Sheppard line.

acetradamus
2007-Dec-03, 00:37
I don't think it has to do with priviledge for units to be near the subway line. It just makes for good intensification policy to locate high rises near subways.

The density should definitely be closer to the subway. The privilege part comes from the fact that the majority of future inhabitants will use or not use the subway regardless of how close they are to the stations. You are in a privileged position when you can decline to use nearby high priority transit and afford to purchase a condominium unit on a subway line and not even use it. You are privileged when you have people on an internet forum advocating that your home be built closer to the subway whether you are even willing to use public transit. You are privileged when people talk about whether a unit is 5 minutes or 10 minutes away from the station and argue the placement of your building when there’s people in Morningside Heights just trying to get better bus service. My point is I don’t give a damn where they put these buildings because the city doesn’t give a damn about building ridership and the residents of Park Place wont give a damn that a subway is right next to them.

Its correct to say the high rises should be around stations but in reality it won't make a difference because it'll be the same people living in the buildings whether they are directly above a station or a 10 minute walk from it. The only thing that matters is whether these people will end up ever adopting the subway as an alternative transportation option but then again, where would anybody go on the Sheppard line in its current incarnation?

So we can talk about how the tallest buildings are closer to the 401 instead of the subway station but it really wouldn’t have made a difference to transit usage if it were the other way around.

Privileged are those who get to reap the real estate rewards of listing "5min to Sheppard subway" in their resale postings because of the poor transit planning of the provincial government (Mike Harris for killing the rest of the line) leaving us with a useless stubway.

This project works on the level that the proposed densities are justified because of the subway line but fails to make the most efficient use of it.

How about some low-income units?

scarberiankhatru
2007-Dec-03, 00:55
If it doesn't matter where the density goes because it's all within a 5 minute walk of the subway regardless of where the towers are placed, I'm curious: what do you think is inefficient about the complex?

I'm not buying your privileged argument at all. Those houses in Morningside Heights are all worth over $500,000 - every one of those households is perfectly capable of buying homes or condos closer to better transit, but they choose not to. Similarly, you can't force people in ParkPlace to take transit - no neighbourhood in the city sees a majority of trips taken on transit. There's no such thing as "your home" or "one home" with a condo - moving one home closer means moving 300 homes closer all at once, and some of them will appreciate being even 1 minute closer to a subway station.

It will make a difference where the density goes - as much as possible should be built as close to transit as possible. You can't measure these marginal distances literally in terms of X people stop taking the subway after Y metres, but building all the units as far away from the stations as possible just sends a mixed message. There should be more closer to Sheppard for the sake of TOD, but also for the sake of Sheppard itself, which should develop along the lines of North York Centre but will instead be an awkward mix of low-rises in front of mega high-rises in front of single detached houses.

Condos *are* low income units...you get a huge range of people living together when an area has homes worth everywhere between $200,000 (or even a bit less) and $1M+. You're probably referring to "no income" units, though :)

edit - and instead of dumping all of the blame on Mike Harris, I'd also praise Lastman's melgalomania and continue to criticize the current folks at City Hall for choosing a streetcar over a subway extension.

Hypnotoad
2007-Dec-03, 11:26
I too do not buy the privilege argument. Yes, transit proximity is usually flagged in a real estate ad. Then again, anything that screams "location, location, location" is typically inserted into a blurb. And that is why real estate developers (a breed that only looks to make a heavy return on their investment) like Concord or Daniels are developing along Sheppard. They know that location-location-location will sell. What is hidden here is that location-location-location means both transit proximity and access to the 401. No one is claiming that all residents in these towers will use the subway.

If your argument is that only social or low income housing be built along subway lines then, well that's a whole other debate on urbanity. But your privilege argument doesn't convince me, only because the subway is here and it is better to intensify than to leave it alone, low-rise. There is evidence in TOD literature that shows that higher densities near transit bring on more riders. But this evidence is tied to other factors too, including the quality of the transit line (it has to go somewhere) and the quality of the pedestrian realm. Income class is shown to have little effect to the success of transit-oriented development, although a mix of income and classes is generally advised.

Truly, the only development I've read about along Sheppard that tries to be Transit-oriented is the planned (and sold) Arc Condos by Daniels, at the corner of Bayview and Sheppard. This one will actually be built on top of the subway station, not a bad start.

Mike in TO
2007-Dec-03, 11:28
acetradamus,

A significant number of the units in Park Place will be inhabited by renters of modest means who cannot afford a car and choose the location specifically due to the subway. Concord would have not purchased the land nor would have the city granted the densities if it had not been for the subway. As for the low income / privileged comments - the only people providing housing for low-to-moderate income people are developers like Concord, many investors purchase the units, which are then rented out by people who require access to the subway.

It is not going to happen overnight, but the number of units being constructed in the Sheppard corridor are certainly going to increase ridership on the subway line. It would be nice however to have a few more developments that generate employment and retail destinations - even if it doesn't get to SCC, a short extension to the Consumers Road business area would likely generate some additional office development at that location.

lordmandeep
2008-Feb-09, 14:34
First Phase is nearly sold at 80%,

Will start this Spring....

AlvinofDiaspar
2008-Feb-09, 19:48
condocrash/moremies/investor/vultur/realestatejunkie:

Here is a thread with your mark all over it:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6476

How many times do you have to come back with a fake alias to do your preaching? Get lost.

AoD

Hypnotoad
2008-Mar-22, 23:35
One big sand box...

March 22

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2323/2352791069_b778a778e8_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/2353593244_286a898352_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2352790559_7899fba3d1_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/2352765323_ca37912b37_b.jpg

lordmandeep
2008-Mar-23, 10:39
thats a rather clean looking station especially for the TTC.

scarberiankhatru
2008-Mar-23, 10:44
IKEA's restaurant has the best views of the ParkPlace site.

junctionist
2008-Mar-23, 11:39
thats a rather clean looking station especially for the TTC.

Even with the floor dirtier than I've ever seen it, the station does not yet look bad. Hopefully as it ages the TTC will get more money for maintaining the system in general, so that it never ends up looking like many of the older stations.

lordmandeep
2008-Mar-23, 12:04
the thing unless the TTC starts to look clean, it will never be clean.

Meaning, if people think the system is cleaner they would be less likely to litter the system. If its dirty people will just keep acting trashy.

Its like the PATH vs a city sidewalk...
Like you never see anyone litter in the PATH, as its clean. People like that, and so they don't litter.

fiendishlibrarian
2008-Mar-23, 13:46
What these pictures don't show is the new road that is being built into an open cut from in front of the Canadian tire to Leslie, with a new road intersecting it midway that will form a grid, dividing the massive parcel into two.

And a station as lightly used as Bessarion can't be anything but clean. One would hope, anyway...

ProjectEnd
2008-Mar-23, 14:33
/\ Sure, but how many times have you been caught with an empty coffee cup or some errant wrapper and not been able to find a garbage can in which to dispose of it. If Toronto seriously wants people to stop littering etc. (and who doesn't), the way foreword is quite simple: get more garbage cans out there!

CDL.TO
2008-Mar-23, 15:10
/\ Sure, but how many times have you been caught with an empty coffee cup or some errant wrapper and not been able to find a garbage can in which to dispose of it.

Never. Whether it means shoving it in my pocket, bag, or carrying it until I get home I have ALWAYS been able to find a garbage can in which to dispose of my garbage. I just can't accept a lack of garbage cans as any sort of an excuse; I've never had any sort of trouble finding one in Toronto.

----------------------------

A couple weeks back I watched with mouth agape as a fairly well-dressed guy with iPod wires hanging from his ears at a hot dog vendor piled a cup or so of ketchup, relish and mustard on his hotdog, most of which ended up all over his hands and the sidewalk. After eathing about 3/4 of the hotdog, he decided he was done and tossed the rest on the ground. He got a couple more napkins from the vendor, tried to clean himself up, then tossed those on the ground. The vendor offered him some paper towels, which he used then tossed on the ground then walked away. Out came the vendor with a broom to clean up the mess. The sidewalk was absolutely covered in condiments, discarded food, napkins, and paper towels all from this one individual.

The whole thing was so revolting that I was half-expecting a camera crew to pop out from around the corner.

EnviroTO
2008-Mar-23, 15:23
/\ Sure, but how many times have you been caught with an empty coffee cup or some errant wrapper and not been able to find a garbage can in which to dispose of it. If Toronto seriously wants people to stop littering etc. (and who doesn't), the way foreword is quite simple: get more garbage cans out there!

That is nonsense. In Japan you actually have to go looking for garbage cans. They tend to only locate them next to vending machines. It is far more populated there and you still don't see litter. People who would make an excuse to litter are lazy and don't take pride in the city. Litter isn't exactly a big burden to carry until you find a garbage pail or get home. The sad reality is that the mentality of North American people requires a punishment regime similar to what is use in Singapore.

Tuscani01
2008-Mar-23, 16:11
the mentality of North American people requires a punishment regime similar to what is use in Singapore.

I say bring it on!

Get caught littering on TTC property and you get forced to spend 1 week working with the TTC cleaning stations.

canrocks
2008-Mar-23, 16:47
One big sand box...

March 22
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/2352765323_ca37912b37_b.jpg

That concrete makes the subway station look so . . . unfinished. Maybe it represents the state of the Sheppard line in general?

Redroom Studios
2008-Mar-23, 16:53
oh come on now - lets really get serious about things - littering = death penalty! (and I am not being sarcastic) I really wish that there was some sort of enviro police tracking down sources of pollution and arresting litterers. Of course our society hasnt arrived at that point yet...

CDL.TO - that story was revolting but you told it in such a funny way, I just had a really good laugh! What a cretin that guy was and three cheers for the vendor atleast attempting to clean up. To pick up on your point though, it is often "well to do" people that I notice littering. I think it has to do with their feeling of self importance. I dont know how many times Ive seen idiots driving BMW's throw coffee cups out their windows...

Towered
2008-Mar-23, 17:01
That concrete makes the subway station look so . . . unfinished. Maybe it represents the state of the Sheppard line in general?

I couldn't agree more, the bare concrete is a real shame. I also can't understand why the station name signs aren't a light colour to make them easier to read.

junctionist
2008-Mar-23, 17:06
oh come on now - lets really get serious about things - littering = death penalty! (and I am not being sarcastic)

I think that larger fines that people would actually have to pay for littering would do the trick without human rights violations :p . Society's shouldn't reach that point.

ProjectEnd
2008-Mar-23, 19:32
Never. Whether it means shoving it in my pocket, bag, or carrying it until I get home I have ALWAYS been able to find a garbage can in which to dispose of my garbage. I just can't accept a lack of garbage cans as any sort of an excuse; I've never had any sort of trouble finding one in Toronto.

I think I didn't explain myself fully. By no means do I advocate littering, ever. I will hold onto my trash for blocks before even considering littering but I think my comments about the dearth of garbage cans in the core was too-quickly avoided. I think its fantastic that you have always been able to find an available recepticle for your trash; I haven't. Sure they're often there but I find that when I am in certain areas of the city, there never seems to be one around.

Your story on the other hand, demonstrates that there are still some individuals whose immature, self-centered nature causes them to believe that such actions are appropriate. I think we all have stories about times we've whitnessed others treat the city with boorish disregard. Not only is this inconsiderate, it speaks to a more general problem. In European cities (and I'm sure some Asian ones as well) there are teams of people with small machines whose only job is to take care of street litter. They cycle through the city emptying trash cans and clearing away errant refuse. Perhaps an adapted form of that system would solve Toronto's trash woes? Conversely, the 'babysiter'/'others-will-clean-it' nature of such a system could only serve to make people even more environmentally lethargic...

...I still think more garbage cans would solve much of the problem though.

cruzin4u
2008-Mar-24, 00:36
It's just the way people are raised. There are a lot of pigs out there, not only in the city, but in the burbs/countryside as well.

You'd be surprised how much litter I see when I cycle up north in the countryside. You see Tim Hortons and Mc'Donalds litter all over the place. I guess it's easier for people to just throw litter out the window instead of holding on to it till they get home.

I agree, that there are not enough garbage cans in the city. There's not enough anything in the city. There should be more benches for the eldery, more landscaping, more this, more that.

CityPlaceN1
2008-Mar-24, 11:36
Like you never see anyone litter in the PATH, as its clean. People like that, and so they don't litter.

People do litter in PATH. The owners make sure it is kept clean.

299 bloor call control.
2008-Mar-24, 12:52
A little off topic, but has there been an overall site plan posted at all for Park Place? I don't recall seeing one.

Edward Skira
2008-Mar-24, 13:01
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/2074003210_43a678f92d.jpg

And try this link.

http://www.concordadex.com/parkplace/

299 bloor call control.
2008-Mar-24, 13:08
Thanks Ed, after much digging I found it on an earlier page.

http://www.concordpacific.com/images/maps/Concord-ParkPlace-site-map.pdf

Hypnotoad
2008-Mar-25, 15:24
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/2074003210_43a678f92d.jpg

And try this link.

UNREAL! Where to begin? Well, looks like ParkPlace is equal distance between the lake and that Canadian Tire. I like the Sim City vibe but that would never make me want to buy there. If this is the next step for rendering and condo sales then the crash is around the corner.

Wow.

interchange42
2008-Mar-25, 15:47
?

What's the problem? Specifically?

urbandreamer
2008-Mar-25, 16:25
I think the park should be located where the Ikea is; the Ikea should be at the base of a 4 condo towers near Bessarion Stn and the park should be smaller. I hate all these new developments with huge boring parks: either you live in a dense city with small squares or you live amongst the Amish!

Edward Skira
2008-Mar-25, 16:36
?

What's the problem? Specifically?

I think he referring to the link.

Hypnotoad
2008-Mar-25, 16:52
^^ Yeah, the "render" (if you can call it a render) is way too playful to be taken seriously. That's my issue.

In response to Urbandreamer's comments -- you make a great point about the IKEA. It would be ideal if big-box retail were combined with condos in these types of neighhourhoods as to demand more density and mix of uses. The Ryerson/Canadian Tire example at Bay/Dundas is a good example of combining uses. It isn't a big leap from there to a big-box/condo split. But I disagree about the park component. First, the park won't be *that* big. If that render is to be taken seriously, the park will be larger than the Island, the CBD, and probably Mars (the planet, not the discovery district) combined. I like the idea of large parks with the new developments.

BobBob
2008-Mar-25, 18:09
A bit weird to have all that green space right around a subway station...

Hypnotoad
2008-Mar-25, 18:39
Discovery I and Discovery II

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2361594763_6a85712144_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2141/2362426154_f2cb1660f6_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2361595965_86ff2cc9b2_o.jpg

Location/Maps

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2361594357_a8c8b207c9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2362427238_5bddf60e1d_o.jpg

Jayomatic
2008-Mar-25, 19:28
Ewww. Looks straight out of 1995. Where's the excitement? Looks like they just took Gallery and got it knocked up to spread its babies all over north york. Gotta love how they make those renderings from angles where you can't see the crappy corrigated roofing to contain all the mechanical elements.

Towered
2008-Mar-25, 20:04
Oh my god dullsville.

DaninToronto
2008-Mar-25, 21:47
It would be nice if they brought something new that made this site a showcase for developments in lower density areas, but it seems much of what we've seen in many other developments with nothing really redeeming. Alright I guess.

adma
2008-Mar-25, 23:29
How does it look straight out of 1995? I see no cheesy pediments or brickwork

Jayomatic
2008-Mar-26, 01:42
I find it just looks really dated already. There is nothing of interest to the building and it looks like this could include large piece of precast and oddly coloured green panelling.

scarlet311
2008-Jun-09, 22:52
It seems like nothing much have happened since the construction started. Just wondering if there is any delay in the construction.

marcus_a_j
2008-Jun-10, 01:31
Well, I believe they were putting in some services like water and electricity and sewers, as well as building the road under the rail tracks between Provost and Leslie. Last time I was there was over a month ago so I don't know how close they are to finishing the road, but it looked like a lot was already done then.

nfitz
2008-Aug-22, 02:18
I don't see much in the way of pedestrian access from the GO platforms to Leslie station in that photo - or from standing on the roof of the Ikea parking garage.

2008-Aug-22, 12:17
I find all the straight lines in this project to be very comforting. :)

299 bloor call control.
2008-Aug-23, 11:06
I don't see much in the way of pedestrian access from the GO platforms to Leslie station in that photo - or from standing on the roof of the Ikea parking garage.

GO Transit was supposed to move the Oriole platforms further north, closer to Leslie, but they never did it.

Solaris
2008-Aug-23, 17:35
When I was out on site this weekend, the Provost Road underpass (below the CP railway) was generally completed and the road was paved (but still blocked off), I would guess this connection to Leslie Street will be opened before end of September... then getting to IKEA from the 401 exit will be so much more convenient

however I still question the safety of the Provost underpass ... very steep grade change on such a high traffic road in the future with all the new condos there

interchange42
2008-Aug-25, 17:34
That's not Provost - that's Esther Shiner Boulevard. Provost will just be the north-south portion between Sheppard and Ikea.

Solaris
2008-Aug-25, 17:50
sorry ... I confused the street names~

interchange42
2008-Aug-25, 18:11
No problem. Shiner is a new road...

marcus_a_j
2008-Aug-25, 18:22
was Wylie's post with that aerial shot deleted? To quote that old Polaroid commercial "Where's the picture"

Edward Skira
2008-Aug-27, 13:04
It was a photo of the day so it expired :)

Here's the photo in question
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2764879204_50605f940d_b.jpg

You can find the full thread here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9944

Hypnotoad
2008-Aug-27, 13:55
That rail bridge over the tracks fails proves that they have no intension of linking Oriole GO with Leslie. There is no space for pedestrians to get from each station and it would have made sense to make the bridge wide enough for two rail lines and a foot path or platform for the new station. Wasted opportunity.

devil_dice
2008-Aug-27, 14:07
I didn't agree at first that it was a wasted opportunity, but in the end i think you're right. The GO connection could have been very useful, particularly to people who live there, work downtown, and have no use for a metropass so they take the GO to work instead.

To be fair, I suppose residents can still do that, though it would result in a 10 minute walk probably down sheppard and south on leslie.

In an off topic, sorry if this has already been said, but what is the projected total number of tenants when this is done in 10-odd years?

Solaris
2008-Aug-27, 14:26
the current zoning in place limits the entire Concord Park Place to a total of 4,000 residential units, that is, assuming Concord Adex does not apply to push up the unit limits (which will more than likely happen)

shark3bites
2008-Aug-27, 15:14
GO Transit was supposed to move the Oriole platforms further north, closer to Leslie, but they never did it.

That rail bridge over the tracks fails proves that they have no intension of linking Oriole GO with Leslie. There is no space for pedestrians to get from each station and it would have made sense to make the bridge wide enough for two rail lines and a foot path or platform for the new station. Wasted opportunity.

Go Transit did move the platform further north. The train is stopping 100-200 meters further north for over a year.

You can see the extension of the platform and path that was built here:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=r8v8rw8ckh09&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=28276582&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

I'm not sure right now how they are going to finish this connection but the intention is there.

I walk by this everyday as my wife takes the RH GO to Union and I take the TTC to Bloor/Yonge so we park at the GO station and I walk back to Leslie station.

GD

299 bloor call control.
2008-Aug-28, 11:26
There's an unused underground passage at Bessarion Station to link up to adjacent development... I wonder if Concord will take advantage of this in their development plan

CityPlaceN1
2008-Aug-28, 12:26
Where does the passageway go?

299 bloor call control.
2008-Aug-28, 15:05
It goes nowhere right now. It's just walled off, but can make an easy underground connection to an adjacent building. It's off the south east entrance, to the left of the escalators.

marcus_a_j
2008-Aug-29, 01:18
They should link all the buildings with underground passageways, and link IKEA with it too. It would be a North York PATH

scarberiankhatru
2008-Aug-29, 01:19
North York already has a PATH...

marcus_a_j
2008-Aug-29, 01:38
Oriole PATH??

Edward Skira
2008-Aug-31, 21:39
The eastbound lane of Esther Shiner is open (for westward bound Ikea shoppers). The underpass is still closed. What a zoo driving there today. Even with Esther Shiner fully open this area will be a major mess when the 4000 new condo units are fully occupied.

cruzin4u
2008-Aug-31, 22:29
IKEA on the weekends is a nightmare. Right now it's especially busy as people are shopping for those last minute items for their dorms / apartments. I don't think that area will ever be clear of traffic with IKEA there.

adma
2008-Sep-01, 11:52
Yeah, those drivers trying to make their way around are *really* given a Shiner this time...

Solaris
2008-Sep-08, 10:42
Made a trip to IKEA this weekend ... and yes the new road is only open to exit traffic from IKEA turning west, connecting back to Provost, the new Esther Shiner Drive is still not fully opened through to Leslie yet ... as I was mentioning before 2nd pic below really shows the steep grade change / hill looking east along Esther Shiner ... which I think is a accident disaster waiting to happen

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2087.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2087.jpg)http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2088.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2088.jpg)

Site grading appears to be underway, no excavation yet, construction office is on the left (photo taken from Provost looking east)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2089.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2089.jpg)

Solaris
2008-Sep-08, 10:45
please excuse the poor quality phone camera ... Towers A, B, D, E and Townhosues C in Discovery 1+2 shown, view from north and east respectively

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/DSC00171.jpg[/URL]
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/DSC00172.jpg[/URL]

joeto11
2008-Sep-08, 22:35
wow i wonder if the roof will actually have colour like that?

Hydrogen
2008-Sep-08, 22:39
Considering how otherwise boring it looks, I too hope that it has that colour - and is that small.

Solaris
2008-Sep-09, 14:26
Concord Adex just sent out letters to purchasers in Tower A+B to push the estimated occupancy date back 1 year (orginally Sept 2009) ... wait and see for MORE delays to come

SP!RE
2008-Sep-09, 14:41
The colours on the roof feature look great!

The base on that same tower looks like the bottom of Woodsworth College's (UofT) newer building @ Bloor and St. George. Which is a very very good thing.

Solaris
2008-Sep-10, 11:39
Esther Shiner remains yet to be opened ... view from Old Leslie Street looking west ... it appears provisions for pedestrian connection to the GO train station are provided though

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2092.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2092.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2093.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2093.jpg)

Silence&Motion
2008-Sep-14, 22:36
Cell phone shots from inside Ikea...

Discovery site:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2858301144_2128a6a433_b.jpg

Esther Shiner, looking east:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2858301818_40545c46f0_b.jpg

Solaris
2008-Nov-05, 12:47
some crazy site excavation works underway ... lots of activity here ~ :)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2430.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2430.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2431.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2431.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2432.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2432.jpg)

interchange42
2008-Nov-05, 21:56
Are you all okay with the renaming of this thread? While the first eleven pages of posts only deal site as a whole, as of page 12 the Discovery buildings enter the picture and we focus increasingly on them. I figure that if we continue to keep the thread open to all phases at Concord Park Place it will become unmanageably long. Thoughts?

Solaris
2008-Nov-06, 10:54
I like what you've done I-42 (and thanks !)

I think it would be a good idea to keep this thread to Discovery 1+2 only ... while creating new threads as new blocks of developments come up, much like what was done for Cityplace threads (Montage, Luna, WestOne, etc) :)

Solaris
2008-Nov-06, 11:33
Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-16601.pdf

Figures: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-16602.pdf

this plans shows the scale / location of towers in the overall Concord Park Place development quite nicely ... :)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark_overall.jpg

Edward Skira
2008-Nov-12, 00:08
Discovery 1 and 2. 1 is the Canadian Tire HQ. What's number 2?

marcus_a_j
2008-Nov-12, 00:17
1 are buildings A and B, 2 are the mid risers

mysteryman
2008-Nov-12, 00:21
I think what your reading is just the headings...the dotted lines identify the scope of 1 and 2. It's not a very clear site plan.

Edward Skira
2008-Nov-13, 00:32
You're right. They aren't actually describing what's going north of the site.

grey
2008-Nov-13, 00:39
Those pics of the models posted by Solaris kind of look like the original Cityplace illustration submitted by Concord before the City demanded better.

Carter
2008-Dec-08, 15:48
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=30
Construction is well underway.
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=29

MikeOlivo-Moore
2008-Dec-08, 16:18
can't see the pics mate, in any of your posts...

Edward Skira
2008-Dec-08, 16:29
They show up for me.

hkric88
2008-Dec-08, 16:30
i also cannot see them.

hkric88
2008-Dec-08, 16:31
a ha, i see, in fact, one must be signed in to see them!

Edward Skira
2008-Dec-08, 16:59
a ha, i see, in fact, one must be signed in to see them!

That's not true. I just signed out and saw them fine.

marcus_a_j
2008-Dec-08, 17:27
sometimes i can't see pics too. they show up fine after I refresh the page

khristopher
2008-Dec-08, 18:19
Probably because the pictures are hosted at www.urbantoronto.ca and you guys are visiting the site at http://urbantoronto.ca (Without the www)

TheProfessor
2008-Dec-09, 10:39
I was only able to view the pictures once I logged in.

Edit: Does anybody know what's being built behind North York General Hospital? They have a crane up on site (visible in the first picture above).

cruzin4u
2008-Dec-10, 01:02
I was only able to view the pictures once I logged in.

Edit: Does anybody know what's being built behind North York General Hospital? They have a crane up on site (visible in the first picture above).

I was wondering the same a few months back and then as I was exiting the 401 at Leslie, you can see that it looks to be an extension of the parking garage.

taal
2008-Dec-10, 01:45
wow I'm not alone ... every time I drive by on the 401 I'm perplexed by it.

I reached the logical conclusion above ... extension to the parking garage. The crane seems rather large for such a task but I can't think of any better answer.

TheProfessor
2008-Dec-10, 09:52
I had suspected it was the parking garage but the crane seems like overkill so I thought that it could be something else.

Thanks for the info!

Wildymyst
2008-Dec-15, 18:23
-The Esther Shiner street looks nice, maybe Ikea now can revamp their "front" look.

-When is the next Phase coming out? It doesn't seem that Concord is advertising aggressively in the past few months with their Park Place project. But they seem to be focusing mostly with CityPlace if anything. eg. Ads and articles on the Condo Guide, Toronto Star, etc...

-Does anyone know when this Canadian Tire headquarters will be starting their construction next to this project?

-What's with the Independent gas station in front of McDonalds? It kinda looks weird don't you think? Are they waiting to be bought out or what? What can be developed in that spot even if it does sell?

-I can't find much recent info on the internet regarding this project. I have a feeling this project is going to take awhile with more delays to come.

taal
2008-Dec-15, 18:42
Another question about this site ... I hate the site plan on the website it's so vague ... does anyone have a very detailed one.

2) Is there retail planed for any of the developments?? If so where are they located.

Solaris
2008-Dec-15, 18:49
(2) yes I think there is very LIMITED retail in Discovery 1+2, specifically it will be located along the Provost frontage in building 'D' (tower at northwest corner of Discovery 2)

(1) I had posted this before ... gives a better indication of where things are (though not perfect by any means)

Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-16601.pdf

Figures: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-16602.pdf

this plans shows the scale / location of towers in the overall Concord Park Place development quite nicely ... :)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark_overall.jpg

taal
2008-Dec-15, 18:54
Thanks ... this whole thing seems like a missed opportunity to me. Why could it not be more like Downtown Markham or something along those lines ... Even parkside village in MCC maybe (have to wait to see how that turns out).

We seem to get the worst when it comes to master built communities ... when compared to the suburbs. Thankfully their are very few remaining sites in Toronto where they can be built.
Is it the city's fault or Concord?

Granted that Cityplace downtown might not turn out that bad in the future, also there probably is very limited demand for retail / office development due to the huge amount of that in the surrounding area.
But at Sheppard ...

ps - you might even be able throw in Liberity Village as one of the 416 failures ... but I'm not too sure about that one. They've done a great job with the office redevelopments in that area (really nice if you've taken a walk around the western part of the site) very little in the way of retail though).

Wildymyst
2008-Dec-15, 19:29
This question is perhaps a question for the future of the project but I'll ask it anyways.

When they do implement the blue colour shuttle buses, how practical would it be for the residences in the community to use when the public transit is not that far anyways?

If it's free for everybody, does that mean customers from Ikea and Canadian Tire are also going to use it at the expense of the residence? Would that be an issue?

I think the developers for Legacy at Heron Hills and their surrounding projects are also having shuttle buses, but they don't have an Ikea and Canadian Tire with people chugging along their big items they purchased around. (subjective POV)

Is this really going to work for Concord Parkplace?

Wildymyst
2008-Dec-15, 19:50
Imagine Tim Horton's buying off the gas station beside McDonald's there with a drive through.

NO ONE will be going anywhere with that traffic...ha ha. (knock on wood)

Solaris
2008-Dec-16, 13:49
something from Concord Adex's website ~ shows the 4 towers (A, B, D, E) and townhouse block (C) in the 'Discovery' phase

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery12.jpg

Conrad Black
2008-Dec-16, 14:42
Thanks ... this whole thing seems like a missed opportunity to me. Why could it not be more like Downtown Markham or something along those lines ... Even parkside village in MCC maybe (have to wait to see how that turns out).

Agreed. And Canadian Tire and Ikea should have been better integrated into the plan.

jks
2008-Dec-21, 21:24
This is a total missed opportunity. These towers are so boring they make the Park Lake Residences look like a work of art. It's way worse than CityPlace. Are they deliberately trying to make NY's complex worse? Also, the park would be much better if it was in the centre, as more buildings would front it.

Wildymyst
2009-Feb-13, 11:36
Is this project slow or what. I see other condo projects around the area going up faster and they started selling their units later than Concord. What's a reasonable time for excavation anyways for the sub contractors to do this work? It's almost believeable that the longer it takes, the quality of the work should be better...and/but maybe not.

marcus_a_j
2009-Feb-13, 11:59
Well, they did build basically a brand new 4-lane roadway with bike lanes with an underpass under the railway tracks. Maybe that added a bit of time to the construction schedule.

Uncle Teddy
2009-Feb-13, 12:34
So are they digging away here?

Solaris
2009-Feb-13, 13:12
indeed there is LOADS of excavation activity happening on site, shoring is in the ground ~

sorry I took no photos of machines digging during my visit to IKEA (thought it wouldn't be too interesting)

marcus_a_j
2009-Feb-13, 13:46
Although you do get a decent view from the restaurant. On several occasions I have watched the work going on while enjoying the 1$ breakfast.

Wildymyst
2009-Feb-21, 13:50
Anyone with any stake in this project? Potential neighbours perhaps? :)

Figure I just ask that since other discussion groups on UT seem to have more people discussing their projects in more detail since they have a stake in it.

(suite size, amenities, stuff like that, etc...)

Wildymyst
2009-Feb-21, 14:04
The prices of the suites can vary by the floor and where it is facing as some variables in determing the value of the unit.

When you're facing south, the units seems to be priced higher. Does anyone have any input as to why?

South - Facing Ikea and the highway
East - Facing a railroad/Leslie TTC station
West - Facing the Canadian Tire retail store
North - Facing McDonalds and Sheppard Ave.

Based on where you're facing....which side would you prefer and why?

Wildymyst
2009-Feb-21, 14:14
There seems to be only 3 finishes options for the suites:

-Vogue
-Classic
-Black Diamond (upgrade)

So far there doesn't seem to be many customizable options. Is this the new trend? What do you guys think based on the look for the finishes? Comments?

Solaris
2009-Feb-23, 11:07
welcome to UT Wildymyst ... I guess there aren't much purchasers from Concord Park Place on this forum ... but to respond to your questions based on my multiple visits to the presentation centre:

floorplans seem well laid out ... definitely better than some Cityplace buildings
only 3 finishing/colour packages to select from, NO this is not a trend, YUP that is definitely cookie cutter way for the builder to save costs + time by limiting options, I personally don't like their standard finishes
Discovery 1+2 seems to offer good amenties, my only concern is these amenities are being shared by all 4 towers, which may mean a lot of people
unit exposure + view surely makes $$ difference, generally south is most expensive because of more sunlight, and in this case more so, since IKEA is to the south which will not block any views (and no plans for the lands to be sold and redeveloped for condos)
unit facing east here may be slightly less desirable since there is a railway line
unit facing west may be looking right into 'future' towers (when built on land west + south of Canadian Tire)
unit facing north may be looking right into 'future' towers (I believe McDonalds property is planned to be sold and redeveloped)
based on the above, if money is of no object, I would surely choose the south side (preferably in towers A or B)

Carter
2009-Mar-03, 16:18
Looks like they are almost finsihed romoving dirt from some of the site.

Does anybody know why they are driving steel beams into the ground on the east half of the site. They been doing this for the past few months.

khristopher
2009-Mar-03, 17:15
Does anybody know why they are driving steel beams into the ground on the east half of the site. They been doing this for the past few months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retaining_wall

Wildymyst
2009-Mar-04, 11:20
welcome to UT Wildymyst ... I guess there aren't much purchasers from Concord Park Place on this forum ... but to respond to your questions based on my multiple visits to the presentation centre:

floorplans seem well laid out ... definitely better than some Cityplace buildings
only 3 finishing/colour packages to select from, NO this is not a trend, YUP that is definitely cookie cutter way for the builder to save costs + time by limiting options, I personally don't like their standard finishes
Discovery 1+2 seems to offer good amenties, my only concern is these amenities are being shared by all 4 towers, which may mean a lot of people
unit exposure + view surely makes $$ difference, generally south is most expensive because of more sunlight, and in this case more so, since IKEA is to the south which will not block any views (and no plans for the lands to be sold and redeveloped for condos)
unit facing east here may be slightly less desirable since there is a railway line
unit facing west may be looking right into 'future' towers (when built on land west + south of Canadian Tire)
unit facing north may be looking right into 'future' towers (I believe McDonalds property is planned to be sold and redeveloped)
based on the above, if money is of no object, I would surely choose the south side (preferably in towers A or B)

Thanks for the info and for the welcome Solaris!

-If McDonalds is eventually sold, whoever bought that should also try to buy that independent gas station there and make something nicer and more integrated to the rest of the development.
-I'm just guessing but maybe the gas station would want quite a bit of money if they do sell because it looks like an eye sore and they probably know someone's going to knock on their door wanting to rezone it to something else nicer
-Do people even go there to buy gas? There aren't many independent gas stations around these days

Wildymyst
2009-Mar-04, 11:27
I figure that if and when they do get the Canadian Tire headquarters built, the traffic would be crazy just going through one of the entrances at Singer Crt. whether it's dropping off people or entering and leaving the proximity

Does anyone have an idea when construction will start with the Headquarters there?

Just wondering what the easements to the the Leslie station and the rest of the development would be like. Probably a far fetch to believe there could be an underground from the Discovery buildings through the Canadian Tire Headqaurters building to the subway eh?

Conrad Black
2009-Mar-04, 11:54
Good to see there's movement happening here. Hate the big empty fields though I suppose the western end of the site will be empty for a long while.

Solaris
2009-Mar-09, 10:39
views of Discovery 1+2 complimentary with my IKEA breakfast ~

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3467-1.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3468-1.jpg

tdbui83
2009-Apr-02, 01:26
They've been doing this for months now and yet no crane.

Wildymyst
2009-Apr-06, 17:19
Looks like they stuck a whole bunch of steel beams in the Building B area of Discovery I and just left it there for awhile now.

maestro
2009-Apr-06, 18:02
Looks like steel piles used to anchor a tower in poor soil conditions. The alternative (or used in tandem) is a raft slab; gigantic concrete block as seen at the Four Season in Yorkville. The piles may also be LEED related.

Solaris
2009-Apr-14, 00:03
Concord Park is still diggin'

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3674.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3675.jpg

jks
2009-Apr-14, 19:42
Hey, if these buildings get cancelled, those beams could easily become a public art project. I looks cool =P

winger
2009-Apr-15, 20:24
Has anyone successfully asked Concord to add the floorplan of the unit into their Purchase and Sales agreement? Or any amendments at all? :(

As usual, I find that the contract was written to protect the builder fully, but I just want to see if anyone has successfully asked them to make slight changes to the contract to protect us slightly?

Anything else anyone has found to be frustrating dealing with the Concord people?

thanks guys!

papagorgio
2009-Apr-18, 20:22

Do you think it would be work the extra money (investment wise) to buy in the towers A or B (floors 9+) as opposed to the 12-floor low-rise beside McDonalds? ... same sqft and Bdrms?

Epi
2009-Apr-18, 20:32
1100 Sheppard Ave. needs better access. It's such a hassle to walk there from Sheppard Station as you have to go all the way around to the lights, especially from the subway. Perhaps if there was a stairway near the midpoint (by the rail line) that would help. And then another one up to the road bridge that runs above Sheppard.

Overall this entire zone is going to be a traffic nightmare once Concord Park Place is done. It's already bad enough driving in that area anytime near rush hour because of the ridiculous magnitude of cars getting onto and off the 401 from Leslie, not to mention access to NYGH.

Wildymyst
2009-Apr-21, 15:58
Has anyone successfully asked Concord to add the floorplan of the unit into their Purchase and Sales agreement? Or any amendments at all? :(

As usual, I find that the contract was written to protect the builder fully, but I just want to see if anyone has successfully asked them to make slight changes to the contract to protect us slightly?

Anything else anyone has found to be frustrating dealing with the Concord people?

thanks guys!

Doesn't the purchase agreement already include that information? The only thing that I could think of that was in the "gray" area was that the exact dimensions weren't specified in the floorplan. It only states the total sq ft. + balcony. I guess they would provide that information if asked, but it would be nice that the information is readily available right on the floor plan when comparing units without the few extra steps to get that info.

Solaris
2009-Apr-22, 12:55
Do you think it would be work the extra money (investment wise) to buy in the towers A or B (floors 9+) as opposed to the 12-floor low-rise beside McDonalds? ... same sqft and Bdrms?

IMO I would definitely go in the taller 28s towers bldg A+B rather than the 12s bldg D+E ... but thats just me because I'll all for height (which is the primary reason I'll go for condo living)

Yoshimura
2009-May-30, 17:16
Passed by quickly and snapped this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3350/3579770696_46fac176b9_b.jpg

samuelzh
2009-Jun-01, 10:37
Looks the building is still not started, huh? Anybody knows any progress for this building? Maybe they will also delay D,E, besides the first A,B. :confused:

tissot
2009-Jun-01, 10:56
I was at the sales office a few weeks ago and I believe they were 90% sold on A and B. They were also offering free parking and locker for a 2 bed unit, not sure if they still have the promotion.

interchange42
2009-Jun-01, 13:41
Looks the building is still not started, huh? Anybody knows any progress for this building? Maybe they will also delay D,E, besides the first A,B. :confused:

You can plainly see in the post above yours that there is construction equipment on the site now. Work would still appear to be in the early excavation phase.

Carter
2009-Jun-01, 22:43

We had some progress today as the first tower crane went up this morning.

drum118
2009-Jun-02, 01:12
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_31/IMG_may-31-09-0141.jpg

You can see tower 2 footing under construction with tower 1 ready in the back
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_31/IMG_may-31-09-0145.JPG

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_31/IMG_may-31-09-0146.JPG

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_31/IMG_may-31-09-0147.JPG

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_31/IMG_may-31-09-0148.JPG

Solaris
2009-Jun-02, 09:14
those are some tall shoring walls .... I'm guess 4 levels underground parking ??

urbandreamer
2009-Jun-04, 22:21
Lotsa workers on site here this past Tuesday. It was the first time I was in the area--ever, I'm such a downtown snob;)--and I will admit it is beginning to make some sense. However, I'd give it 25 years before it's 100% urbanized, with the removal of the Ikea/Canadian Tire, awkward intersections, overpasses etc.

Why buy a condo here when the single family housing tracts to the north look so much more attractive?

Edward Skira
2009-Jun-04, 22:33
Because the houses to the north are expensive compared to these condos.

tdbui83
2009-Jun-09, 11:33
I bought unit 8 in building B. As far as I know, the prices were not dependant on the view, it was strictly sqft x $.

That was the price pre-construction on VIP day.

The prices of the suites can vary by the floor and where it is facing as some variables in determing the value of the unit.

When you're facing south, the units seems to be priced higher. Does anyone have any input as to why?

South - Facing Ikea and the highway
East - Facing a railroad/Leslie TTC station
West - Facing the Canadian Tire retail store
North - Facing McDonalds and Sheppard Ave.

Based on where you're facing....which side would you prefer and why?

Solaris
2009-Jun-10, 14:29
Looks like Concord Adex finally decided to build a 'real' sales office for the Concord Park Place project, shows that they are here for the long run ... this structure may even replace the head office function of their Spadina presentation centre ... eventually Concord Adex's gonna have to vacate that site to make way for the final Signature Tower at Cityplace ;)

Staff report recommending Site Plan Approval to be considered by North York Community Council on June 23, 2009.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-21832.pdf (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-21832.pdf)

Wildymyst
2009-Jun-15, 12:28
Does this mean that independent gas station has been bought by Canadian Tire to be made into a nicer looking Canadian Tire gas station? I guess that means the gas station will be staying there as a gas station.

Is MacDonalds staying put there as well?

Looks like Concord Adex finally decided to build a 'real' sales office for the Concord Park Place project, shows that they are here for the long run ... this structure may even replace the head office function of their Spadina presentation centre ... eventually Concord Adex's gonna have to vacate that site to make way for the final Signature Tower at Cityplace ;)

Staff report recommending Site Plan Approval to be considered by North York Community Council on June 23, 2009.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-21832.pdf (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-21832.pdf)

Solaris
2009-Jun-15, 12:43
I thought that original gas station WAS operated by Canadian Tire (now demolished) ...

anyhow on the new CTC store site, there is zoning in place and Site Plan Application underway to build a new CTC gas bar on the portion of the parking area fronting onto Sheppard ... the old gas bar site in turn will be Concord Adex's future sales office

Wildymyst
2009-Jun-15, 12:54
Oh right, I remember that Canadian Tire Gas station. I guess I read it wrong. I thought it was the other gas station next to McDonalds and Leslie station. I think it's the Acco (sp?) gas station.

I think that gas station is an eye sore and should be replaced with something nicer.

I thought that original gas station WAS operated by Canadian Tire (now demolished) ...

anyhow on the new CTC store site, there is zoning in place and Site Plan Application underway to build a new CTC gas bar on the portion of the parking area fronting onto Sheppard ... the old gas bar site in turn will be Concord Adex's future sales office

Carter
2009-Jun-15, 18:32
Two cranes are up and running on site now.

TheProfessor
2009-Jul-16, 10:48
Drove by the site this morning and noticed that there are now three cranes up.

Carter
2009-Jul-16, 18:39
They just put up a forth crane today.

samuelzh
2009-Jul-17, 09:49
Looks like a big progress! Maybe they just start building all the four buildings (A,B,D,E) together?

Solaris
2009-Jul-17, 10:18
I believe that was Concord's intent for Discovery all along ... given all 4 bldgs are interconnected through its amenities and underground parking ... anyways I'm sure purchasers here are happy things are finally happening

interchange42
2009-Jul-17, 10:43
The folks at Ikea will certainly be over the moon.

Carter
2009-Jul-27, 19:32
Another crane was going up this morning, thats 5 right now on that site.

TheProfessor
2009-Jul-28, 10:49
Driving by on the 401 it looks like the cranes are all so close together they could actually hit each other.

Why are five cranes needed when only four towers are going up?

Solaris
2009-Jul-28, 11:25
not sure why they need more cranes than towers ... but perhaps because of the large (underground garage) footprint?

At the Solaris site there are also 3 cranes, although there are only 2 towers in the complex

Degnaw
2009-Aug-06, 22:31
Esther Shiner remains yet to be opened ... view from Old Leslie Street looking west ... it appears provisions for pedestrian connection to the GO train station are provided though

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2092.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2092.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2093.jpg (http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2093.jpg)

Is there a way to get off the pedestrian connection without having to walk down the ramp all the way to old leslie?

CasssiusX
2009-Aug-09, 23:11
Well, i just went to the sales office to check out the status of Building D. I knew Building A and B were already delays until end of December 2010. The sales agent told me Building D is now going to be delayed until December 2011 but no letters have been sent out advising of it yet.

Solaris
2009-Aug-10, 10:26
5 Cranes on Site
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_1460.jpg

"Progress" (P3?) being made on Bldgs A+B
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_1462.jpg

Bldgs C+D will start rising soon
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_1461.jpg

Conrad Black
2009-Aug-10, 11:51
Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to seeing it rise from the 401.

kamanwu
2009-Aug-16, 12:54
Why they do NOT post the price on their website? I want to know the price of these condo, but I really do not want to call them.

Well, i just went to the sales office to check out the status of Building D. I knew Building A and B were already delays until end of December 2010. The sales agent told me Building D is now going to be delayed until December 2011 but no letters have been sent out advising of it yet.

AKS
2009-Aug-16, 20:44
Why they do NOT post the price on their website? I want to know the price of these condo, but I really do not want to call them.

It's confidential. Usually condo builders don't post prices. This way they protect themselves when price changes up or down for certain units.

kamanwu
2009-Aug-16, 20:59
BUT if you go to http://www.tridel.com, you can see the price.

Why tridel post the price on their website?

They protect themselves, but who protect their customers?

It's confidential. Usually condo builders don't post prices. This way they protect themselves when price changes up or down for certain units.

AKS
2009-Aug-16, 21:18
BUT if you go to http://www.tridel.com, you can see the price.

Why tridel post the price on their website?

They protect themselves, but who protect their customers?

They didn't post the price. They post "price from". You know the basic price which every builder will disclose to sell. But the exact prices of each unit are not posted.

kamanwu
2009-Aug-16, 21:31
They didn't post the price. They post "price from". You know the basic price which every builder will disclose to sell. But the exact prices of each unit are not posted.

What's the meaning of "they"?

If "they" means tridel, they do post exact prices of each unit.

condolier
2009-Aug-17, 00:58
Last I saw a few months ago was ~$425/sqft, but I don't know what sort of promotions they have now. This was for a corner unit.

AKS
2009-Aug-17, 02:25
What's the meaning of "they"?

If "they" means tridel, they do post exact prices of each unit.

I'm looking at the Tridel website and click on Hullmark. Then I click on prices and floor plans link.

http://www.tridel.com/hullmarkcentre/prices.php
They list different types of suites and prices. But they don't list all prices of each unit on each floor. It says "priced from*"

kamanwu
2009-Aug-17, 09:20
I'm looking at the Tridel website and click on Hullmark. Then I click on prices and floor plans link.

http://www.tridel.com/hullmarkcentre/prices.php
They list different types of suites and prices. But they don't list all prices of each unit on each floor. It says "priced from*"

Sorry, I saw the "priced from" tag just now. But I think this information is good enough.

Automation Gallery
2009-Aug-17, 09:47
Last I saw a few months ago was ~$425/sqft, but I don't know what sort of promotions they have now. This was for a corner unit.

You could be looking at 5%-7% higher per square foot.

AKS
2009-Aug-17, 11:30
Sorry, I saw the "priced from" tag just now. But I think this information is good enough.

Well, one of the sales pitch way is to get customers to go to your site and inquire about prices if they're interested. Then they also see the attractive model suites and want to buy. Sometimes in magazines there's articles talking about starting at so and so prices and you walk in expecting those prices but you won't find them. Anyhow those rough estimates aren't dependable because prices change and promotions change. Saves from updating all the time too. They want people who are interested to go ask at the site or you can call. Many builders are like that.

Wildymyst
2009-Aug-18, 11:02
Does anyone know or have an idea when they will release the next phase of condos? (Discovery III?).

They haven't released a new phase for awhile now and just wondering if anyone knows how their sales are going now for Discovery I and II?

Thanks!

Solaris
2009-Aug-18, 11:40
I suspect the next phase will be the block west of IKEA, south of Canadian Tire, and will probably be marketed with a different name ... rather than Discovery III

Discovery @ Concord Park Place was only for this first development block ... like Cityplace, each development block will probably have a different project name

gmeo
2009-Aug-22, 12:57
Does anyone know or have an idea when they will release the next phase of condos? (Discovery III?).

They haven't released a new phase for awhile now and just wondering if anyone knows how their sales are going now for Discovery I and II?

Thanks!

I hear their sales are doing well and they will be releasing a new building in Discovery II this coming fall...

DTK
2009-Aug-26, 15:03
For anyone who purchased Discovery I or II, did you, or were you able to put in an assignment clause in the purchase agreement?!??!

I'm in the midst of buying off someone, but the deal died and I wanted to find out if it's an assignment issue (developer not allowing) or something else.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

gmeo
2009-Aug-26, 20:11
For anyone who purchased Discovery I or II, did you, or were you able to put in an assignment clause in the purchase agreement?!??!

I'm in the midst of buying off someone, but the deal died and I wanted to find out if it's an assignment issue (developer not allowing) or something else.

sounds like an assignment issue. it's rare that a developer allows someone to assign their contract prior to the building being built, or interim closed...

Solaris
2009-Aug-27, 10:44
gmeo ... actually its quite common for builders to allow assignment clauses in the Agreements of Purchase + Sale to attract investors building into their project, in fact most condo projects have this clause offered to purchasers who buy units during the "agent preview" period ... without this option, many of the condo projects in Toronto would have never achieved enough sales for construction to happen ~

In this case, Concord Adex most certainly does have assignment clause permissions built in at Concord Park Place, it may be just the conditions of assignment have not been met yet (usually the builder protects their interest rightfully so and state that the purchaser can not re-assign a unit until that floorplan type has been sold out at the sales office)

papagorgio
2009-Aug-29, 20:33

Yes, I was able to get add an assignment clause to my agreement.

Solaris
2009-Sep-01, 00:31
Things progress @ Discovery 2 ... :)

it appears this project is one of those dual architects arrangement once again, Quadrangle is responsible for the preliminary design, whereas Page & Steele does the working drawings ~

CONDOMINIUM BUILDINGS, TOWNHOUSES
Proj: 9062897-13
North York, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
Concord Park Place Phase Two Discovery Buildings C, D & E, Sheppard Ave E, Bessarion Rd, Esther Shriver Blvd, M2K 1C2
$50,000,000 est

Start: November, 2009

Complete: December, 2010

Note: Excavation of the parking structure beneath this project began July, 2008 and is ongoing. Site work and servicing are underway. Construction is expected to begin Fall 2009. Invited Sub trade pricing is under review and will be forwarded to the Owner for approval Fall 2009. Const Mgr will confirm construction schedules based on sales October/November, 2009. Contact information for the awarded trades will be released when construction begins. Further update November, 2009.
Quadrangle Architects will complete Preliminary Plans. Page & Steele will complete Working Drawings.

Project: concrete foundation, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, glass and precast exteriors; brick cladding; proposed construction of two condominium apartment buildings (buildings D&E) and 11 three storey townhouse units in one structure (building C). Buildings D and E will each be 12 storeys. Building D will have 143 units, building E will have 232 units. This project will include four levels of underground parking to be shared with Phase One, report number 9062893. The number of spaces is undetermined.

Scope: 450,000 square feet; 12 storeys; 4 storeys below grade; 5 structures; 386 units; 4 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs

First report Tue May 08, 2007. Last report Wed Jun 24, 2009.
This report Fri Aug 28, 2009.

http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=48763ae61e70a4cd904d7f5bd91023e5d73712c7&projectid=9062897&region=ontario

asiancolossus
2009-Sep-06, 23:28
Hey everyone, I just visited the showroom today and was quite impressed with the layout, wondering if it is going to pan out like the community that it paints it out to be.

Anyone buy a unit here? Have the prices really gone up since 2007 when they first started marketing? Just curious...really interested in the townhouses but I think the individual ones are in the latter phase.

drum118
2009-Sep-11, 21:37
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/sept/2009_09_09/IMG_sept-09-09-0117.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/sept/2009_09_09/IMG_sept-09-09-0127.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/sept/2009_09_09/IMG_sept-09-09-0118.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/sept/2009_09_09/IMG_sept-09-09-0123.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/sept/2009_09_09/IMG_sept-09-09-0120.jpg

maestro
2009-Sep-11, 23:48
What is it with concord and inclined building sites. The two just don't mesh well.

Solaris
2009-Sep-12, 15:56
LOL ... the benefit of having inclined sites is the P4/P5 parking level in Discovery can exit the garage at grade onto Esther Shiner Blvd without having to drive up 4/5 levels to reach the north exit ramp

condolier
2009-Sep-14, 01:30
Hey everyone, I just visited the showroom today and was quite impressed with the layout, wondering if it is going to pan out like the community that it paints it out to be.

Anyone buy a unit here? Have the prices really gone up since 2007 when they first started marketing? Just curious...really interested in the townhouses but I think the individual ones are in the latter phase.

I think this is from late 2007: http://www.dennisparadis.com/Concord_Park_Place_-_Pricing/page_1873440.html

You'll have to contact them for current pricing though... (and let us know!)

asiancolossus
2009-Sep-25, 22:56
This is great news, confirms that the complex will have direct access to the subway station:

Canadian Tire wants to build a new corporate head office on Sheppard Avenue west of Leslie Street as part of a huge re-development of the area.

The building at 1181 Sheppard Ave. E. will provide a direct indoor link to the subway at the Leslie Street station for both employees and residents of new condominium buildings being built on the site, Willowdale Councillor David Shiner said.

"It is a fantastic opportunity that we have," he said.

Not only would the headquarters provide construction jobs, it would ensure Canadian Tire keeps its employees in Toronto, unlike other corporations that have fled to suburbs outside the city, Shiner said.

The headquarters would consolidate the company's head office operations from several locations in mid-town Toronto and across the Greater Toronto Area.

The building will also feature a daycare centre and stores.

An office building has long been part of development plans for the area, but at the Sept. 15 North York Community Council meeting, Canadian Tire said it hopes to increase the permitted density while maintaining the approved height to accommodate its corporate headquarters.

Councillors supported the application, although Toronto Council must still decide the issue at its meeting Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

In addition, Canadian Tire has pledged $1 million toward building a community centre.

"They believe in helping the community. They know how important that community centre is," Shiner said.

Shiner, who has secured another $7 million from developers toward the community centre, called the donations significant because the city has so far refused to fund the facility for the growing area.

Because the neighbourhood is not classified by the city as high-risk, Shiner said the project routinely gets bumped off budget forecasts.

Without funding from private sources, the community centre has little chance of being built, he said.

If approved, the Canadian Tire headquarters would become part of a redevelopment of the 20-hectare (50-acre) site located on the south side of Sheppard between the Leslie and Bessarion subway stations and extending south to Hwy. 401.

In 2000, Canadian Tire filed an application for a mixed-use development on the site, which was approved in 2002.

In 2006, Canadian Tire sold most of the property to Concord Adex Developments, but retained the site at 1181 Sheppard, which is located at the southwest corner of Sheppard and the CN rail line west of Leslie.

Calling its $2-billion project Concord Park Place, Concord Adex is building the largest condo development in North York's history.

The 10-year project will feature condo towers between six and 28 storeys, housing some 5,000 families, along with townhouses, the community centre, shops, parkland and a school site.

"This is a tremendous achievement," Premier Dalton McGuinty said in May 2007 when the first phase of the project was unveiled.

"This is a community in the making, a vibrant, green community."

mrob
2009-Sep-28, 11:22
This is great news, confirms that the complex will have direct access to the subway station:

Canadian Tire wants to build a new corporate head office on Sheppard Avenue west of Leslie Street as part of a huge re-development of the area.

The building at 1181 Sheppard Ave. E. will provide a direct indoor link to the subway at the Leslie Street station for both employees and residents of new condominium buildings being built on the site, Willowdale Councillor David Shiner said.

"It is a fantastic opportunity that we have," he said.

Not only would the headquarters provide construction jobs, it would ensure Canadian Tire keeps its employees in Toronto, unlike other corporations that have fled to suburbs outside the city, Shiner said.

The headquarters would consolidate the company's head office operations from several locations in mid-town Toronto and across the Greater Toronto Area.

The building will also feature a daycare centre and stores.

An office building has long been part of development plans for the area, but at the Sept. 15 North York Community Council meeting, Canadian Tire said it hopes to increase the permitted density while maintaining the approved height to accommodate its corporate headquarters.

Councillors supported the application, although Toronto Council must still decide the issue at its meeting Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

In addition, Canadian Tire has pledged $1 million toward building a community centre.

"They believe in helping the community. They know how important that community centre is," Shiner said.

Shiner, who has secured another $7 million from developers toward the community centre, called the donations significant because the city has so far refused to fund the facility for the growing area.

Because the neighbourhood is not classified by the city as high-risk, Shiner said the project routinely gets bumped off budget forecasts.

Without funding from private sources, the community centre has little chance of being built, he said.

If approved, the Canadian Tire headquarters would become part of a redevelopment of the 20-hectare (50-acre) site located on the south side of Sheppard between the Leslie and Bessarion subway stations and extending south to Hwy. 401.

In 2000, Canadian Tire filed an application for a mixed-use development on the site, which was approved in 2002.

In 2006, Canadian Tire sold most of the property to Concord Adex Developments, but retained the site at 1181 Sheppard, which is located at the southwest corner of Sheppard and the CN rail line west of Leslie.

Calling its $2-billion project Concord Park Place, Concord Adex is building the largest condo development in North York's history.

The 10-year project will feature condo towers between six and 28 storeys, housing some 5,000 families, along with townhouses, the community centre, shops, parkland and a school site.

"This is a tremendous achievement," Premier Dalton McGuinty said in May 2007 when the first phase of the project was unveiled.

"This is a community in the making, a vibrant, green community."

Does anyone know where the $7 million figure comes from? I have only seen $5.2 million floating around.

Solaris
2009-Oct-05, 19:23
Ripped from Concord's website for UT's record in the future ~

Discovery 1 (Bldgs A+B)
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-1.jpg

Discovery 2 (Bldg D)
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-2.jpg

Discovery 2 (Bldg E)
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-3.jpg

Courtyard Between Bldgs D+E - note Bldg C on the right are now townhouses
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-4.jpg http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-5.jpg

Site Plan
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-6.jpg

Contrasted with the previous renderings (before Bldg C was converted from a Tower to Townhouses)

Discovery II (Bldgs C[right]+D[left])
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2361594763_6a85712144_o.jpg

Courtyard Between Bldgs D+E - note Bldg C on the right was a tower
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2141/2362426154_f2cb1660f6_o.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2361595965_86ff2cc9b2_o.jpg

Site Plan
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2361594357_a8c8b207c9_o.jpg

asiancolossus
2009-Oct-05, 23:27
Thanks for keeping the thread alive solaris! Its not a very popular one but I'm excited, I'm in building A! The renderings are very nice, I just hope the real thing lives up to it!

From what I've read, they are going to convert building C into "luxury townhomes", each 3 levels and starting at a million dollars each! Out of my range for sure!;)

DTK
2009-Oct-07, 12:45
If anyone is looking to assign/sell units #2 or #9 above 18 floors (in buildings A/B of course), please get at me! ;)

Wildymyst
2009-Oct-15, 11:02
They started advertising the Discovery II commercial. I notice the blue shuttle bus is like.......a van? Like how many people can fit in that little thing and how many will be circling around the neighbourhood. Are there even enough space to fit......10 people in there? How feasible is this? - so like the people getting on the last stop in the development, are they ever going to get a seat? lol.

Opinions?

scarberiankhatru
2009-Oct-15, 12:08
I assume they have a shuttle running to swift people past/over the vast swath of construction debris and broken roads and mud, which can make for an unpleasant walk - even if the walk is only like 6 minutes. Will the shuttle continue running when the whole complex is complete? Most ParkPlace dwellers will be about 5-6 minutes from their front door to a subway platform, including an elevator/escalator ride or two.

drum118
2009-Oct-15, 12:19
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0072.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0102.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0103.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0104.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0107.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0114.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0115.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0116.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_14/IMG_0ct-14-09-0117.jpg

Uncle Teddy
2009-Oct-15, 12:53
Thanks for all of the updates. Looks like we'll start to see it rising from the 401 soon!

asiancolossus
2009-Oct-16, 00:39
thanks drum118, awesome pictures!

passall123
2009-Nov-09, 20:44
Thanks for update. Seems everything is doing well.

Solaris
2009-Nov-23, 01:23
I couldn't tell how many levels of underground parking have been poured ... but progress is definitely speeding up ~ :)

Click to Enlarge
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_1862.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_1862.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_1863.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_1863.jpg)

samuelzh
2009-Nov-23, 16:09
Thanks for the update! is it possible to post more pictures from different view? ;)

Solaris
2009-Nov-23, 17:56
samuelzh ... if you have a personal interest in the project I suggest seeing the site in person, you would certainly get a lot more out of it then photos posted in a forum ~

ProjectEnd
2009-Nov-24, 09:35
/\ Too kind!

Mmmm...tasty rendersauce!

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1171_1_1000%20Quadrangle%20Discovery%201.jpg

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1171_2_1000%20Quadrangle%20Discovery%202.jpg

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1171_3_1000%20Quadrangl%20Discovery%203.jpg

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1171_4_1000%20Quadrangle%20Discovery%204.jpg

This is the OLD design - the middle, mid-rise building has been changed to townhomes, among other things (Block 31-style sky gardens, etc.).

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/1171_5_1000%20Quadrangle%20Discovery%205.jpg

CityPlaceN1
2009-Nov-24, 09:38
Renderings are sexy. Let's see about the actual buildings.

Solaris
2009-Nov-24, 10:18
thanks PE ... don't think I've ever seen the second rendering image before, showing the north elevation of Building B

luxome
2009-Nov-25, 02:06
what is the ceiling height in these buildings? is it 8ft for all units and 9ft for penthouse?

Solaris
2009-Nov-25, 10:44
no I think its 8' for the lower half and 9' in the upper half of Bldgs A+B

asiancolossus
2009-Nov-25, 19:33
Just drove by the site today, looks like the foundation is set on both buildings A and B, its pretty exciting!

On a side note, with all the X2 hype, I think that the burbs have been left behind in the skyrocketing price appreciation. Makes me wonder if I should have invested in a downtown condo instead...sigh...

drum118
2009-Dec-24, 02:05
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/dec/2009_12_23/IMG_dec-23-09-0041.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/dec/2009_12_23/IMG_dec-23-09-0044.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/dec/2009_12_23/IMG_dec-23-09-0047.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/dec/2009_12_23/IMG_dec-23-09-0054.jpg

Solaris
2010-Feb-01, 02:09
Some significant progress being made @ Concord Park Place since drum118's last update in late December 2009, I think Bldg 'A' is @ 3rd floor while Bldg 'B' is @ 2nd floor ~ :D

View from the East
Click to Enlarge
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2017.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2017.jpg)

A Pretty Cool Lap Pool
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2018.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2018.jpg)

View from the South
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2019.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2019.jpg)

asiancolossus
2010-Feb-07, 14:36
thanks Solaris for the pictures, its hard to find concord park place on the forums, doesn't seem to have much buzz factor. Looking impressive though!

Solaris
2010-Feb-08, 01:42
your welcome asiancolossus ... Concord Adex is certainly moving along at this site ~ :)

Bldg 'A' - starting 4th floor
Click to Enlarge
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2064.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2064.jpg)

Bldg 'B' - 3rd floor near completion
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_2065.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2065.jpg)

bAuHaUs
2010-Mar-10, 12:18
Site plan http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3108/masterplan.jpg

Edward Skira
2010-Mar-10, 12:26
I hope Esther Shiner extends to Bessarion some day.

Solaris
2010-Mar-10, 13:10
thanks bAuHaUs ... good find! where is this plan from?

FYI ... there's a thread for the new phase of Concord Park Place (after Discovery)

The Next Phase (Concord Park Place, Concord Adex, Quadrangle?) (http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?10070-The-Next-Phase-(Concord-Park-Place-Concord-Adex-Quadrangle-))

drum118
2010-Mar-13, 19:11
Click for full size
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0098.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29059.JPG) http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0102.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29063.JPG) http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0104.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29065.JPG) http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0105.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29066.JPG) http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0106.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29067.JPG) http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0107.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29068.JPG)http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0109.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29069a.JPG)http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_03-11-10-0112.jpg (http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2010/march/2010_03_11/IMG_29072.JPG)

bAuHaUs
2010-Mar-14, 12:37
thanks bAuHaUs ... good find! where is this plan from?

FYI ... there's a thread for the new phase of Concord Park Place (after Discovery)

The Next Phase (Concord Park Place, Concord Adex, Quadrangle?) (http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?10070-The-Next-Phase-(Concord-Park-Place-Concord-Adex-Quadrangle-))

It's being circulated by developer...suspect it may change somewhat

gmeo
2010-Mar-14, 13:30
It's being circulated by developer...suspect it may change somewhat

Not too sure that's the case. I called to ask for this particular plan and they said they do not have one...? Is it online somewhere?

bAuHaUs
2010-Mar-14, 14:58
[QUOTE=gmeo;381555]Not too sure that's the case. I called to ask for this particular plan and they said they do not have one...? Is it online somewhere?[/QUOTE
It was sent to our offices as part of a leasing package...my firm specializes in commercial real estate/leasing across Canada and we work with the best and often most sought after retailers by landlords; so our office receives many landlord documents not intended for public consumption.....whenever I can share with UT; then I do.

gmeo
2010-Mar-14, 15:00
It was sent to our offices as part of a leasing package...my firm specializes in commercial real estate/leasing across Canada and we work with the best and often most sought after retailers by landlords; so our office receives many landlord documents not intended for public consumption.....whenever I can share with UT; then I do.

Great stuff! Keep 'em coming Bauhaus...

bAuHaUs
2010-Mar-14, 15:13
Great stuff! Keep 'em coming Bauhaus...

Will do gmeo

Solaris
2010-Mar-15, 02:07
further to drum118's great updates ... here's a few more~

Click to Enlarge

Discovery 1, Bldg 'A' (@ 9th flr) + Bldg 'B' (@ 7th flr) - east elevation
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_4009.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_4009.jpg)

Discovery 1, Bldg 'B' - south elevation
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_4008.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_4008.jpg)

Looks like Discovery 2 is poking up above ground floor
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_4007.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_4007.jpg)

Wildymyst
2010-Mar-20, 12:00
It looks like they updated some pictures and added the Discovery Townhomes into the Discovery family.
http://www.concordadex.com/parkplace/discoverytownhomes/

I did notice that Building 'E' has a few extra floors now?? It went from 2-15 floors to 2-19 floors. I'm surprise they managed to just add a few floors at this stage. Is that building going to be crowded or what.
http://www.concordadex.com/parkplace/discovery2/

So from looking at the plan, it looks like Building 'A' and 'B' are high rises, 'C' section are part of the townhomes, 'D' is a low rise, and 'E' is a midrise. Looks like Building 'D' is the same as before with no added floors.

Anyone have any information as to the '?' to the extra floors for Building 'E' seemingly all of a sudden?

Solaris
2010-Mar-20, 13:16
odd indeeed that Concord's changing Building 'E' at this stage ...

but sure enough they have increased the building height from 12 stories to 16 stories~

thanks for the reporting Wildymyst ~

Old Bldg 'E'
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/ConcordPark-3.jpg

New Bldg 'E'
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_E_new.jpg

urbandreamer
2010-Mar-20, 13:58
Hmm, I rather like this simple glass and steel building. Looks better--more urban dare I say--than their CP buildings! It's a contemporary to the apartment slab I live in--slab buildings are actually fantastic to live in.

Solaris
2010-Mar-20, 22:49
seems like Discovery's overall site plan has also been tweaked ~ the townhouse block (Bldg 'C') has been enlarged slightly ... therefore one driveway now connects to both motor courts rather than separate accesses to the public street on the north side ... that could mean one very busy driveway !

Old Site Plan
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery12.jpg

New Site Plan
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_SP_new.jpg

Solaris
2010-Mar-20, 22:51
more renderings ~ :D

Bldg 'A' East Elevation
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_A_east.jpg

Bldg 'A' West Elevation + Bldg 'B' North Elevation - showing the east motor court
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_AB_westnorth.jpg

Bldg 'C' North Elevation
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_C_north.jpg

Bldg 'C' + Bldg 'D' South Elevation - showing the west motor court
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_CD_south.jpg

Bldg 'E' North Elevation
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_E_north.jpg

scarberiankhatru
2010-Mar-21, 01:44
That's a really silly place for a handful of townhouses.

gmeo
2010-Mar-23, 20:06
They have a new Presentation Centre near the Bassarion station. Possible for the launch of a new phase???

Solaris
2010-Mar-24, 01:26
Concord Park's new presentation centre is open (only to realtors though) ... despite the office is still being renovated ... I only saw scaled models of the 'revised' community masterplan and the 'revised' Bldg 'E', plus a kitchen and bathroom vignette

apparently Concord started doing exclusive showings to realtors for the new 4 floors addition on Bldg 'E' and the new townhouse releases

I just happen to stumble in by accident on the past weekend and talked the Concord agent whom I've met before into showing me around (though I'm no agent)

Solaris
2010-May-03, 01:59
Extremely contrasting glass colours - Looks interesting, but notice how dark it is inside? (compare the corner column)
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5079.jpg

Bldgs 'A' + 'B' - southeast elevation
Click to Enlarge
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5083.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_M etrogate/IMG_5083.jpg)

Rec Centre Lap Pool looks pretty cool ~
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5082.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5082.jpg)

Bldg 'A' @ 17th floor - northwest + east + south elevations
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5077.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5077.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5081.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5081.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5085.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5085.jpg)

Bldg 'B' @ 16th floor - north + east + south elevations
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5078.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5078.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5080.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5080.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5084.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5084.jpg)

Bldg 'E' @ 2nd floor
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5086.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5086.jpg)

TheProfessor
2010-May-03, 10:03
I can't believe how dark that glass is.....wonder how it will affect the suite (view, daylight, etc.)?

Conrad Black
2010-May-03, 11:04
That certainly looks dark. I like it. Better than more green.

SP!RE
2010-May-03, 12:04
First time I've seen an update from here that I remember-- awesome. So exciting to see the new condo urbanism and density spreading to other parts of the city. The towers on the slope are looking good.

webnomad
2010-May-11, 12:25
Does anyone knows if Core Yard (center area surround all buildings) has car access? from the booklet the car only could access from the left side of the building C and A for a quick drop off. however, if you look into the the booklet on amenities page, it does has drive way there. Sales reps are all talking differently.

Solaris
2010-May-11, 16:24
welcome to UT webnomad ...

If I'm understanding your question properly ... YES, the 'courtyard' (or 'motor court' as Concord calls it) will be accessible by cars, it will come in off the circle at the end of the proposed east-west street, travel south towards the shared lobby / dropoff area for Bldgs A+B, then turn west towards another dropoff area shared by Bldgs D+E

The Site Plan should help to clarify:
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_SP_new.jpg

The east motor court (for Bldgs A+B) - looking southeast
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_AB_westnorth.jpg

The west motor court (for Bldgs D+E) - looking north
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/Discovery_CD_south.jpg

webnomad
2010-May-11, 17:38
Indeed, This was confirmed by sales office as well.. it is actually a motor yard. thanks for the reply.

asiancolossus
2010-May-11, 21:24
thanks solaris...I don't get this dark window thing, its not reflected in the schematics. How do they decide which units get the dark glass? I'd be mad if I got one of those units!

CasssiusX
2010-May-12, 15:55
Does anyone know if construction is still on schedule with Buildings A & B to be completed by December of 2010 and Buildings D & E to be ready by June 30, 2011?

Solaris
2010-May-12, 18:29
Does anyone know if construction is still on schedule with Buildings A & B to be completed by December of 2010 and Buildings D & E to be ready by June 30, 2011?

given Bldg 'A' was on 17th and Bldg 'B' was on 16th floor and that the towers are to be a total of 28 floors, I believe that December 2010 will likely be not attainable given the time necessary to also complete the interiors ... I expect a minor delay, perhaps to April 2011 for Bldgs A+B

condolier
2010-May-15, 17:19
thanks solaris...I don't get this dark window thing, its not reflected in the schematics. How do they decide which units get the dark glass? I'd be mad if I got one of those units!

I'm with you on that. Every time I drive by, I can't get over it, no clue how it will be inside. I might understand on south-facing units, but north facing? It's already not bright on that side; to add dark glass on top of that doesn't seem like a good idea for those living in those units.

I wonder what happens if it really is too dark inside? I imagine they must have considered that. Is there a maximum tint allowable on windows?

Solaris
2010-May-17, 01:50
Bldgs 'A' @ 20th floor + Bldg 'B' @ 18th floor - northwest / southwest / southeast elevations
Click to Enlarge
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5136.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5136.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5137.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5137.jpg) http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5138.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5138.jpg)

Bldg 'C' Townhouses - the 3 storey structure is already poured
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5139.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5139.jpg)

Bldg 'E' - 2nd floor now complete
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/th_IMG_5140.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_5140.jpg)

SP!RE
2010-May-17, 11:56
Excellent update, Solaris. Thanks for keeping us up to speed on this one as I'm not in that area ever, really, but I want to follow the Park Place project!

CasssiusX
2010-May-17, 15:12
What about the pics for the often forgotten and beloved building D?? That's where I will be. I heard it should be on the same pace with Building E.

asiancolossus
2010-May-22, 21:33
solaris is the best, thanks for the updates, I think if it weren't for him, we'd end up on page 100! Nice pace of development!

Polkaroo
2010-Jun-16, 21:53
I took these in the last few days.

interchange42
2010-Jun-18, 13:52
Tekguy; your post has been moved to the Discovery thread in the Real Estate subforum (http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?10127-Discovery-at-Concord-Park-Place) where it is more germane, and more likely to get a response too.

bshwr
2010-Jun-24, 14:48
Just curious, how far is the walk from Building A+ B to the subway station?
Thanks!

solaris is the best, thanks for the updates, I think if it weren't for him, we'd end up on page 100! Nice pace of development!

asiancolossus
2010-Jun-27, 11:28
Just curious, how far is the walk from Building A+ B to the subway station?
Thanks!

bshwr, when I bought my unit in A, I was told that both A and B are the closest to Leslie and initially we might have to walk outside to get to the station, about a 5 minute walk. Eventually, there should be a tunnel directly to the station, possibly through an underground mall or plaza. Its hard for me to wrap my head around that one geographically though. But if you look at the map, its actually pretty close.

interchange42
2010-Jun-27, 11:57
Canadian Tire's new headquarters are being built directly north of Discovery, and it will have an underground connection to Leslie station.

scarberiankhatru
2010-Jun-27, 15:29
Some buildings will be closer to Leslie and some will be closer to Bessarion, but which one people actually use will depend on the street network and park spaces and site plans that actually get built...it's way too early to tell where the shortcuts will be on the western half of the ParkPlace zone. If you get off at the eastern end of a train at Leslie and walk west again, in some cases you'd be better off getting off at Bessarion. Also, where will all the retail spaces end up getting built? People love passing through a grocery store or a take out restaurant on the way home and that might mean more people going through Bessarion if they build more retail that way. But for A and B, I imagine most people will use Leslie, if only because it's the more obvious station to use and the walk to the subway platform will be quite short once the Canadian Tire connection is built.

asiancolossus
2010-Jul-13, 06:49
Hey guys I got a letter from Concord telling me the closing date has moved from December 2010 to June 2011 for Discovery 1. I was shocked! I drove by it a few times over the last few months and thought things were progressing well??? Why such a big delay? And on a side note, can someone confirm for me if closing date is before or after the move in date? I am worried they will force me to move in to my unit before all the facilities are ready and have me pay rent. Thanks, this is my first time investing in a preconstruction project.

Solaris
2010-Jul-13, 11:17
asiancolossus ... your "final" closing only happens after your initial occupacy (aka "interim" closing), which is also when you start paying the occupancy fee/rent ... and more likely than not, when you first move in the recreational amenities will not be ready yet (while you continue to pay occupancy fees/rent)

tekguy
2010-Jul-13, 12:10
I received a letter too, but haven't opened it yet. I assume it would be the same letter. These delays are ridiculous. I was just at Ikea on the weekend, the building looked like it was making great progress. This is such a scam - if I was buying this condo as my primary residence, I'd be so screwed by now considering the original closing should've been December of 2009.

TheProfessor
2010-Jul-13, 14:18
I received a letter too, but haven't opened it yet. I assume it would be the same letter. These delays are ridiculous. I was just at Ikea on the weekend, the building looked like it was making great progress. This is such a scam - if I was buying this condo as my primary residence, I'd be so screwed by now considering the original closing should've been December of 2009.

Welcome to the wonderful world of buying a pre-construction condo.

Wildymyst
2010-Jul-13, 15:31
Well, if the Discovery I purchasers are getting this letter now that it's going to be delayed til about June 2011, then I'll assume the Discovery II purchasers will get one a bit later that it will take a few months more after Discovery I is built. (December 2011? or later?). So we're all waiting for another 6 more months from the previously set date - at least.

asiancolossus
2010-Jul-13, 22:36
Thanks Solaris, so what you are saying is that they can force me to move in and delay the final closing indefinitely, all the while charging me rent when I should be paying off my mortgage? And I will be charged the condo fees on top of the occupancy fees/rent? Wow that sucks big time! Like I said I thought they were up into the 20th plus floor on both A and B so how could this happen? This is a year away!

asiancolossus ... your "final" closing only happens after your initial occupacy (aka "interim" closing), which is also when you start paying the occupancy fee/rent ... and more likely than not, when you first move in the recreational amenities will not be ready yet (while you continue to pay occupancy fees/rent)

Solaris
2010-Jul-14, 11:08
indeed it sucks ... but if you read through your Agreement of Purchase & Sale, you'll find clauses that are along the lines of "the purchaser shall take occupancy of the suite upon notice of the vendor" ... no IFs nor BUTs

generally though, a builder wouldn't indefinitely delay the 'final closing' and make purchasers pay rent forever (generally 6 months... worst I've heard is 16 months), since the developer only collects your money in full at final closing ... I understand that during the occupancy period you only pay "rent" which already covers for the property tax, maintenance fees, and (maybe) utilities

cassius
2010-Jul-14, 21:16
Wait, but he shouldn't have to pay condo fees on top of those occupancy fees, should he? I mean, he's only paying the occupancy (rent) fees until the project is registered as a condo, correct?

asiancolossus: If this is your first letter noting that it will be delayed, you can probably expect it to be delayed a second time passed that date too. Having been on UT for nearing 10 years now (hmm, how long has it been anyways?), it seems that every project receives at least 2 major delays along the way. Some many more.

asiancolossus
2010-Jul-14, 22:36
Thanks again solaris. I hope that they are reasonable and I can move in relatively close to the final closing. I hate the idea of paying rent, thats the whole reason I bought so I didn't have to anymore.

indeed it sucks ... but if you read through your Agreement of Purchase & Sale, you'll find clauses that are along the lines of "the purchaser shall take occupancy of the suite upon notice of the vendor" ... no IFs nor BUTs

generally though, a builder wouldn't indefinitely delay the 'final closing' and make purchasers pay rent forever (generally 6 months... worst I've heard is 16 months), since the developer only collects your money in full at final closing ... I understand that during the occupancy period you only pay "rent" which already covers for the property tax, maintenance fees, and (maybe) utilities

asiancolossus
2010-Jul-14, 22:37
Hi cassius, from what I understand, there had already been a one year delay on Discovery 1 from December 2009 to December 2010, so this would be the second, I didn't buy until end of last year when they told me about the December 2010 date.

Wait, but he shouldn't have to pay condo fees on top of those occupancy fees, should he? I mean, he's only paying the occupancy (rent) fees until the project is registered as a condo, correct?

asiancolossus: If this is your first letter noting that it will be delayed, you can probably expect it to be delayed a second time passed that date too. Having been on UT for nearing 10 years now (hmm, how long has it been anyways?), it seems that every project receives at least 2 major delays along the way. Some many more.