PDA

View Full Version : VuCondo (Jarvis & Adelaide, Aspen Ridge, 8 + 15 + 24s, Hariri Pontarini/Young Wright)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Edward Skira
2008-Aug-11, 16:58
I suspect parking ramps.

AoD

No that's not it. They have street level floors mixed with ones that are 1-2 feet tall. And they're all over the place. Will take some shots.

sterdeus
2008-Aug-20, 11:58
As you all know, they are at ground level on the north side. But they are now at ground level on the south side as well. For those looking to buy, they still have some higher end condos available. You can see a list of whats available posted at the door of their sales office.

detroitbootybass
2008-Aug-20, 16:47
You can see a list of whats available posted at the door of their sales office.

/squinting\

I'm having a hard time seeing said list from Detroit.

Seriously though, i'd love to have a higher floor, west facing unit in the south tower... droooool.

Edward Skira
2008-Aug-20, 16:49
Actually along Richmond they are working on the third floor.

urbandreamer
2008-Aug-22, 22:44
From Richmond and George St:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/DSC00321-1.jpg

Ed, is your building/UT HQ the red brick building along Richmond, just east of the George St diner?

Edward Skira
2008-Aug-22, 23:24
One block north on Britain. The one east of the diner is going to be occupied by George Brown College.

cdr108
2008-Aug-26, 01:42
Well it seems that many purchasers of Vu condos are having horrendous experiences with their colour selection.

The developer has changed the kitchen cabinet supplier from their originally stated Paris Kitchens to Frendel Kitchens, and also changed the design and character of the cabinets fronts/drawers/handles, etc.

The following excerpts are from Vutalk.com:

We went yesterday and it was not a pleasant experience.

You can't get drawers in the kitchen island, the cupboard handles are half the size and mounted vertically as opposed to horizontally. The 3 frosted glass cupboard doors that were an upgrade in the model actually only come in a brushed steel look and are $700 each otherwise they just extend the cupboard doors down. ...

The people helping us pick the stuff out were very helpful but I have a hard time understanding why they didn't pick a kitchen manufacturer who makes drawers...

It's not fun to go in and be told some of the things that were used to help sell you on the condo don't even exist but I guess they already got our money so what do they care?

I am mad as hell!!!

Today we had our color selection date. It was a very stressful 2 hrs.
I am going to start with the kitchen: since the builder changed the supplier from Paris Kitchens to Frendel Kitchens the upgrade for the bottom flip up doors with Glass doesn’t exist anymore. The only option is to either have a different door made of some kind of metal with glass in it. This will not match any color or material you select. On top of this, the handles in the top doors will be vertical and the bottom will be horizontal. Just a horror story. ...

I believe we are being taken for a ride and I am not going to take it.
To begin with I refused to sign for the kitchen handles and I will post a formal complain with Aspen Ridge.
I though we bought from a reputable builder, what a joke!!!
I have being given several names to call and send letters. I urge all of you that are unsatisfied with the options given to do something about it before is too late.

When did they change the kitchen supplier to Frendel kitchens (never heard of them) from Paris?
We have it on the mailings they sent us that they selected Paris - that's written in black and white, can they change it on us?
What is with the handles being changed to vertical from horizontal - why can't they remain horizontal, does it cost any more to put them on horizontal?

Morocha, what are the names and titles of the people they referred you to?
Did they also indicate to you that the island would NOT get drawers?

I can't understand why they would tell TotallyStupid that the supplier doesn't make drawers?
I went to Frendel's website and they have a kitchen gallery showing drawers in some of the examples.

I went to the Presentation Center (PC) last weekend to check out the standard cabinet choices, and the rep showed me there are only 3 choices: white, off-white, and brown woodgrain - all are thermofoil.

When I was at the original PC on the corner of Adelaide/Jarvis, I recall the choices were white, light wood grain, and brown wood grain (like the model suite).
Did anyone take pictures of the 3 standard colour schemes?

I would like to choose the light wood grain but now it's an upgrade - WTF ?!?!?!?

interchange42
2008-Aug-26, 11:19
I do not know if what Aspen Ridge is doing here is legal or not, but surely it is unethical.

Do developers really want to mess with purchasers this way when their indiscretions can be so easily aired on the internet now? Aspen Ridge, who have been around quite a while as a homebuilder, but are still young when it comes to condo building, is endangering any reputation they have built up with this disregard for their purchasers.

I hope they come to regret their actions here, as what one developer gets away with, others will try.

Jayomatic
2008-Aug-26, 11:26
Is that legal?

Say you bought in the Ritz, would it be legal to for a buyer to purchase a unit thinking they are getting Boffi kitchens or some high end kitchen supplier and then have them switched to a lesser brand without any cost adjustments?

CityPlaceN1
2008-Aug-26, 11:30
Is that legal?

It depends on what their purchase agreement says.

urbandreamer
2008-Aug-26, 11:42
Originally Posted by cdr108
When did they change the kitchen supplier to Frendel kitchens (never heard of them) from Paris?
We have it on the mailings they sent us that they selected Paris - that's written in black and white, can they change it on us?
What is with the handles being changed to vertical from horizontal - why can't they remain horizontal, does it cost any more to put them on horizontal?

Okay, so out of curiosity I looked at both Paris and Frendel Kitchens' websites; Paris's is very vague while Frendel's is more in depth. (Btw, I never knew Paris Kitchens is based out of Paris Ontario: Cool! Here's an article about them: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/kitchen_design/54013 )

http://www.frendel.com/

http://www.pariskitchens.com/about.html

So Paris Kitchens' manufacturing is based around having horizontal mounted handles, while Frendel's is vertically mounted. Can Frendel change it for you? Probably not. Here's the reason I suspect: Having worked in manufacturing before, in a similar business, the entire "shop" is set up for either one or the other mounting. So Frendel can not change the handle.

Now, you probably could. Take handle off, get filler, refinish the doors yourself! Which is it?

Btw, noticed that Frendel's designs are overall very "dated" and "cheap" looking. I wonder if Paris Kitchen's cost too much or have supply line issues?

I'm certain Aspen Ridge have their butts covered. (Legally.)

Both kitchen's are not my style--I prefer high end Italian or German kitchens. (Or better, I'd custom design my own.:D)

detroitbootybass
2008-Aug-26, 16:55
I wonder if Paris Kitchen's cost too much or have supply line issues?

I'd bet cost is the main factor.

Solaris
2008-Aug-26, 18:17
this is really disturbing ... I always liked Aspen Ridge before seeing they built such good products (low-rise housing) ... AR better smarten up~

Sir Novelty Fashion
2008-Aug-27, 02:00
I love that someone's set up a website just for Vu owners. Have any other developments merited their own websites so far?

grey
2008-Aug-27, 16:07
Yeah, both www.badcondo.com and www.cityplacesucks.com are based on City Place, although the latter seems to be gone.

grey
2008-Aug-27, 16:11
Btw, noticed that Frendel's designs are overall very "dated" and "cheap" looking. I wonder if Paris Kitchen's cost too much or have supply line issues?

Both kitchen's are not my style--I prefer high end Italian or German kitchens. (Or better, I'd custom design my own.:D)I totally agree. Both companies seem to provide a nearly identical product (that ugly Home & Country ranch style kitchen such as you might find in god forsaken homes with dollhouse decor and super high bed beds with fairytale canopies, the musical stylings of Garth Brooks playing gently in the background, big tupperware pick up truck parked out front), and neither is spectacular, so I don't know why people are so furious.

Granny
2008-Aug-27, 17:38
Okay, so out of curiosity I looked at both Paris and Frendel Kitchens' websites; Paris's is very vague while Frendel's is more in depth. (Btw, I never knew Paris Kitchens is based out of Paris Ontario: Cool! Here's an article about them: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/kitchen_design/54013 )

http://www.frendel.com/

http://www.pariskitchens.com/about.html

So Paris Kitchens' manufacturing is based around having horizontal mounted handles, while Frendel's is vertically mounted. Can Frendel change it for you? Probably not. Here's the reason I suspect: Having worked in manufacturing before, in a similar business, the entire "shop" is set up for either one or the other mounting. So Frendel can not change the handle.

Now, you probably could. Take handle off, get filler, refinish the doors yourself! Which is it?

I'm certain Aspen Ridge have their butts covered. (Legally.)

Both kitchen's are not my style--I prefer high end Italian or German kitchens. (Or better, I'd custom design my own.:D)

Welcome to buying a condo in a hot market guys and by the way ..if these are the biggest problem you guys have, than you can count yourself lucky. Youve just been ripped off and there is absolutely nothing you can realistcally do about it. Check with your lawyer. I did. Cityzen pulled similar crap with me at London on the Esplanade ..only worst. The model I purchased (and about so did about 50 others) had an overhead bank of cupboards (approx. 10 1/2 feet) over the breakfast bar showing in the original drawing when we bought the place. "These have been deleted." No explanation, no credit, nothing. All you get is "That was an error" and a shrug of the shoulders and a sympathetic smile. Its take it or leave it.
On the opposite wall in this galley kitchen there is a grand total of an overhead cupboard over the fridge, one over the stove and and two cupboards approx: 15" or less, and thats it. Really! Unbelievable.
My blood pressure is higher that building right now.:mad:

Granny
2008-Aug-27, 18:10
I need to clarify one thing. You may have been blatantly ripped off when the builder represented quality items as standard to you and then saddled you with cheaper crap. There IS something you can do. Document everything! Dates, times, emails, letters, sales brochures etc. After you close, then you go after them...with a lawsuit. Your lawyer will now get you a different lawyer who handles this type of thing. Thats the advise I got and that is what I will be doing.

morocha
2008-Aug-27, 22:53
this is really disturbing ... I always liked Aspen Ridge before seeing they built such good products (low-rise housing) ... AR better smarten up~

color=#0040BF]As I am reading “Schedule “B” VU- South Residences, Suite Features reads as this:
The vendor shall have the right to make reasonable changes in the opinion of the vendor in the plans and specifications if required and to substitute other materials, with materials that are of equal or better quality then that provided for herein………
The determination shall be made by the vendor’s architect, bla, bla,bla.

If this is correct and binding then the changes are not legal. I am not and unfortunately don’t have a lawyer to find out.
On the other hand they are telling me that the appliances can’t be up-graded. In any new development you can do this, because it is between the buyer and the appliances supplier.
They will deliver to the unit whatever you bough. There is no difference to the builder.

As far as the change of kitchen cabinet supplier maybe they found Frendel Kitchen to be cheaper. It's not fun to go in and be told some of the things that were used to help sell you on the condo don't even exist.

I would suggest to all interested parties to have a written petition to the builder and the architect before is too late.To all buyers affected by this situation: please give me your opinion about this. We must act fast. I don’t think Aspen Ridge and or the Architect will benefit from having bad publicity. The Internet is a good channel to do this.
To begin we must start complaining in writing to:
Angie Dipede and her contact e-mail is adipede@aspenridgehomes.com

She is the manager of Design coordination. Beside her, to call 905-669-9292 Aspen Ridge head office (High- Rise department)

Waiting for feed back- Morocha-

cdr108
2008-Aug-28, 01:42
The vendor shall have the right to make reasonable changes in the opinion of the vendor in the plans and specifications if required and to substitute other materials, with materials that are of equal or better quality then that provided for herein………

'equal or better quality' ... Can anyone comment from personal experience or industry knowledge on the quality of Frendel vs. Paris Kitchens ???

FYI ... the style of kitchen doors/fronts to be used are the slab european style, NOT as grey stated 'that ugly Home & Country ranch style kitchen'.

From the limited research of Frendel's website, it appears we have been given the cheapest choice available, and only given 3 of the 7 styles as standard options while the others are upgrades:

Viking I - "line contains 7 decorative slab melamine styles to choose from and carries a low price tag that is sure to fit almost anyone's budget."

^^^ THAT's why I am upset.

From Paris Kitchen's website, it appears their materials and workmanship are superior, and over a century of business. I'm familiar with their products in many condos and quality of work.

grey
2008-Aug-28, 01:50
FYI ... the style of kitchen doors/fronts to be used are the slab european style, NOT as grey stated 'that ugly Home & Country ranch style kitchen'.

My comment was based on a quick scan of both companies' websites, and I didn't see anything that looked like a European kitchen. Unless you're saying that style is supposed to be European.

All I know is:

Google Image Search result for "European Kitchen" (http://www.trendir.com/archives/ernestomeda-fusion-kitchen.jpg)

Google Image Search result for "Home & Country Kitchen" (http://8rd.org/decoration/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/country-kitchen-picture.jpg)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/711/emotcolbertbb0.gif

cdr108
2008-Aug-28, 03:03
My comment was based on a quick scan of both companies' websites, and I didn't see anything that looked like a European kitchen. Unless you're saying that style is supposed to be European.

All I know is:

Google Image Search result for "European Kitchen" (http://www.trendir.com/archives/ernestomeda-fusion-kitchen.jpg)

Google Image Search result for "Home & Country Kitchen" (http://8rd.org/decoration/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/country-kitchen-picture.jpg)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/711/emotcolbertbb0.gif

Hi grey,

Sorry if my comment came across out wrong. Personally, I don't like the Home & Country ranch style either.

Here is an image from Paris' brochure on page 2 of what I could consider to be close to a 'european' style cabinetry (ie. slap flat panels).
There are many styles shown on page 5 and 6.

http://www.pariskitchens.com/brochure2.pdf

urbandreamer
2008-Aug-28, 11:15
No. That's not Euro-style. That's "Bad Taste"-style.:)

Solaris
2008-Aug-28, 11:46
very disappointed by AR and sorry about your situation cdr108 ... having said that, it MAY make you feel better to know Paris Kitchens in fact have a cheap line of product as well (which you can see in the showroom), and I suspect builders would typically use the cheapest product line even if they use Paris Kitchens (just to use the name)

I know Cityzen did the exact same thing as AR at the '88 on Broadway' project whereby the showroom kitchen and agent were doing their sales pitch with SPECIFIC reference to Paris Kitchens (there was even a Paris Kitchen sign on the counter !), but when they started construction Cityzen just changed to another cabinet supplier (with no explaination)

grey
2008-Aug-28, 12:57
Here is an image from Paris' brochure on page 2 of what I could consider to be close to a 'european' style cabinetry (ie. slap flat panels).
There are many styles shown on page 5 and 6.

http://www.pariskitchens.com/brochure2.pdf

Ohhh, okay. That makes a lot more sense for a condo.

exstasie
2008-Sep-05, 11:41
Does anyone know for sure that Frendel is equal or better quality than Paris?

Or is it pure speculation at this point.

I guess I'm in a different situation since I purchased my Condo in May of 2008 so I already knew what the changes were, and was considered an upgrade, but I had no issues at all with picking my colours and ended on spending $1,600 in Upgrades.

The only thing I didn't anticipate was paying extra to re-locate the cable outlet and power outlet...

CGM
2008-Sep-05, 13:26
That's a joke... My impression of AR and Cityzen has totally changed... We need better consumer protectionism

CityPlaceN1
2008-Sep-05, 13:37
There was like 10 cement trucks at this site the other day. They seem to be making a lot of progress. They are at ground level across the site and on the north end they are 3 floors up.

Mike in TO
2008-Sep-05, 13:57
That's a joke... My impression of AR and Cityzen has totally changed... We need better consumer protectionism

Most contacts don't itemize specific suppliers, nor should they - market conditions and the ability of suppliers to meet orders often change. Buying a new condo vs a resale where what you see is what you get is totally different. If buyer X purchasers pre-construction from builder A in 2005 and construction doesn't begin for 12 months, then all the underground work has to be done and maybe 12-16 months later the contracts with the suppliers/manufactures are finalized.... how is a builder supposed to guarantee a specific product and order up to and sometimes over 2 or 3 years in advance. Costs fluctuate and the ability of specific suppliers and manufactures to meet orders can change over multi year periods.

Most contracts will state that you should get a product of equal or greater value when it comes to appliances and in reality that is the best a general contractor or builder can do given the time frames for new construction.

Better consumer protectionism in this case of gauranteeing a specific product line is virtually impossible - I'm not sure what you would suggest - ordering products immediately and storing them in a warehouse - essentially adding tens of thousands of dollars to the purchase price of each condo unit?

CGM
2008-Sep-06, 20:20
^... In the cases mentioned above the builders could have done more to fulfill their original proposals.

morocha
2008-Sep-10, 22:55
Most contacts don't itemize specific suppliers, nor should they - market conditions and the ability of suppliers to meet orders often change. Buying a new condo vs a resale where what you see is what you get is totally different. If buyer X purchasers pre-construction from builder A in 2005 and construction doesn't begin for 12 months, then all the underground work has to be done and maybe 12-16 months later the contracts with the suppliers/manufactures are finalized.... how is a builder supposed to guarantee a specific product and order up to and sometimes over 2 or 3 years in advance. Costs fluctuate and the ability of specific suppliers and manufactures to meet orders can change over multi year periods.

Most contracts will state that you should get a product of equal or greater value when it comes to appliances and in reality that is the best a general contractor or builder can do given the time frames for new construction.

Better consumer protectionism in this case of gauranteeing a specific product line is virtually impossible - I'm not sure what you would suggest - ordering products immediately and storing them in a warehouse - essentially adding tens of thousands of dollars to the purchase price of each condo unit?

I must agree with you on your marketing outlook, but...you missed an important point, which is the replacement of supplies with a lesser quality product. What do you call this? I called it misrepresentation and abuse!!

cdr108
2008-Sep-11, 01:06
I went to my colour selection last week and like many others have stated, we are now being sold a bill of goods that is completely different from what was represented since day 1 in the model suite; verbally confirmed by Aspen Ridge Sales Manager Jason Attard at the Design Seminar conducted by Cecconi Simone 0n October 26, 2006; and in print in the subsequent VuNewsletter.

Here's what was represented to me and what I know:

Model suite kitchen was standard except for upgrades to the type of granite, s/s backsplash, glass inserts in the horizontal cabinets (flat panel w/o glass was standard).
All handles were mounted horizontal and the kitchen island had one set of pots & pans drawers.

At the Design Seminar in October 2006, Mr. Attard as Sales Manager, Aspen Ridge, announced that nulofts would have flat ceilings - not stippled - throughout the suite.

In a Newsletter, it stated that AR had chosen Paris Kitchen's as the supplier for the cabinets.

changed:

Kitchen cabinet supplier changed from Paris to Frendel.
Handles are shorter/smaller and will be mounted vertical as opposed to horizontal as represented in the model suite.

According to AR, the decision to change to Frendel had to do with the Paris' inability to meet time lines; handles are vertical b/c Frendel's production capability does not allow them to mount the handles horizontally. Although, somehow the horizontal cabinets doors will have their handles on the horizontal, and so will the drawers.

Horizontal cabinets are no longer standard - now an upgrade:
$145/door w/o glass insert;
$630/door with glass insert but only available in 2 choices - white coloured door or in aluminum frame.
Otherwise, you get upper cabinets doors that are 50 1/2 inches tall.

Pots and pans drawers eliminated for all islands b/c according to AR some units' island were not deep enough to fit them while some could. As a result, they made the executive decision to not give them to any purchasers; not even offered as an upgrade.

All units come standard with stippled ceilings, and as of now smooth ceilings may/may not be available as there is no pricing.

IMO, changing the choice of cabinet supplier and design of the kitchen as represented is materially significant.
Is Frendel's quality equivalent or better than Paris' ?
Can it be considered "equivalent or better " when their production abilities can't accomodate the original design ?!?!?

The choices for cabinet door upgrades is limited and pricey considering they are from the same price point as the standard one (ie. Frendel's Denova euro group 2).
Basically, you are paying for the choice of different door colours at ~$100/linear foot.

Regarding the handles, I asked them if they could just install the doors UNDRILLED and supply me with the handles so I could install them myself. Yes to the undrilled doors, but NO to supplying me the handles to which I've already paid for. ?!?!?

When I was there, another couple came by to finalize their colour selection and they were not pleased with what had happened. They indicated that they've emailed AR many times and have not heard back from the developers regarding the changes.

morocha
2008-Sep-11, 14:23
I went to my colour selection last week and like many others have stated, we are now being sold a bill of goods that is completely different from what was represented since day 1 in the model suite; verbally confirmed by Aspen Ridge Sales Manager Jason Attard at the Design Seminar conducted by Cecconi Simone 0n October 26, 2006; and in print in the subsequent VuNewsletter.

Here's what was represented to me and what I know:

Model suite kitchen was standard except for upgrades to the type of granite, s/s backsplash, glass inserts in the horizontal cabinets (flat panel w/o glass was standard).
All handles were mounted horizontal and the kitchen island had one set of pots & pans drawers.

At the Design Seminar in October 2006, Mr. Attard as Sales Manager, Aspen Ridge, announced that nulofts would have flat ceilings - not stippled - throughout the suite.

In a Newsletter, it stated that AR had chosen Paris Kitchen's as the supplier for the cabinets.

changed:

Kitchen cabinet supplier changed from Paris to Frendel.
Handles are shorter/smaller and will be mounted vertical as opposed to horizontal as represented in the model suite.

According to AR, the decision to change to Frendel had to do with the Paris' inability to meet time lines; handles are vertical b/c Frendel's production capability does not allow them to mount the handles horizontally. Although, somehow the horizontal cabinets doors will have their handles on the horizontal, and so will the drawers.

Horizontal cabinets are no longer standard - now an upgrade:
$145/door w/o glass insert;
$630/door with glass insert but only available in 2 choices - white coloured door or in aluminum frame.
Otherwise, you get upper cabinets doors that are 50 1/2 inches tall.

Pots and pans drawers eliminated for all islands b/c according to AR some units' island were not deep enough to fit them while some could. As a result, they made the executive decision to not give them to any purchasers; not even offered as an upgrade.

All units come standard with stippled ceilings, and as of now smooth ceilings may/may not be available as there is no pricing.

IMO, changing the choice of cabinet supplier and design of the kitchen as represented is materially significant.
Is Frendel's quality equivalent or better than Paris' ?
Can it be considered "equivalent or better " when their production abilities can't accomodate the original design ?!?!?

The choices for cabinet door upgrades is limited and pricey considering they are from the same price point as the standard one (ie. Frendel's Denova euro group 2).
Basically, you are paying for the choice of different door colours at ~$100/linear foot.

Regarding the handles, I asked them if they could just install the doors UNDRILLED and supply me with the handles so I could install them myself. Yes to the undrilled doors, but NO to supplying me the handles to which I've already paid for. ?!?!?

When I was there, another couple came by to finalize their colour selection and they were not pleased with what had happened. They indicated that they've emailed AR many times and have not heard back from the developers regarding the changes.

Let's contact and organize (there is 88 members in VU Talk) a meeting with Angie Dipede or Jasson Attard in VU office. They are open Saturday and Sunday, we all can assist.-Morocha-

Alvar
2008-Sep-11, 21:35
There is power in numbers. Don't take these 'changes' lying down. Organize, and make the builder provide compensation.

morocha
2008-Sep-11, 22:24
Alvar,
thank you for your encouragment. Compensation? I don't think this will take us anywhere. They are very well protected. However, I and all others all we want is to be given what we were sold in the first place. Now we are offered a lower quality product with few alternatives. I hope we can get organized and get some results. - Morocha -

grey
2008-Sep-17, 00:34
Construction update for today (click to enlarge):

This is the view from Richmond:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5011/img1852mi1.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1852mi1.jpg)

This is the view from George St:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8344/img1853wq8.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1853wq8.jpg)

This was taken through a peep hole on Jarvis:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1355/img1854hm7.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1854hm7.jpg)

That is one complex construction site.

detroitbootybass
2008-Sep-17, 20:54
Great shots, grey!

urbandreamer
2008-Oct-10, 21:38
Driving by this afternoon:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00408.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00409.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00411.jpg

detroitbootybass
2008-Oct-12, 17:54
Thanks for the update!

Edward Skira
2008-Oct-14, 12:17
North end now 7 stories tall.

detroitbootybass
2008-Oct-14, 16:16
Nice!

catcher_of_cats
2008-Oct-25, 22:56
Some pics in poor lighting, here is the highest level in the complex thus far

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2972575453_05ffaa9970_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/2972575663_ee7b820681_o.jpg

detroitbootybass
2008-Oct-26, 16:39
Thank you for sharing!

b_bear
2008-Oct-26, 22:07
This is going to be an awesome building, and they are getting it done fast!

The east side is the new west! the street car isn't as busy going west bound, they have neat stores on the east side. I live in Liberty Village and I just bought (pre-construction) in the same area as VU and I can't wait to move!

taal
2008-Oct-26, 23:02
Not sure what street car route your referring too but I wish I could find this not so busy street car you mention : - )

What more reason to improve King / Queen routes, all these developments.

b_bear
2008-Oct-26, 23:49
well, i've heard the streetcar is better on the east side.... are you saying it's not??

You have no idea how bad it is on the west side from shaw to yonge!

plus another condo has occupancy in november and there will be like 500 more people in the neighborhood trying to use it.

I thought the east side would make my mornings better!

taal
2008-Oct-27, 00:01
They're pretty bad depending on the time but the east side is *sometimes* better in my experience ... but I'm not sure. In rush hour the line ups get pretty long on the east side going west. So maybe if your taking the street car east it might not be *as* bad.

b_bear
2008-Oct-27, 18:53
well regardless of the street car VU is still an awesome building!

definitly the right choice!

exstasie
2008-Oct-28, 16:13
well regardless of the street car VU is still an awesome building!

definitly the right choice!

Can't wait!

It has been moving pretty quickly, however they officially delayed the project.

It was originally suppose to be ready in the spring 2009, but was just delayed until Summer/Fall 2009.

This however was expected to those who have spoken to them recently. I purchased mine unit in the spring '08 and was informed that it wouldn't be ready until fall '09...

Can't wait though!

Solaris
2008-Nov-11, 11:43
North Tower @ 11th floor, South Tower @ 3rd floor :)

Southwest View

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2631.jpg
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2632.jpg

East View (future main entrance)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2633.jpg

Looking West into Courtyard

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2634.jpg

Northeast View

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2635.jpg

Edward Skira
2008-Nov-11, 13:01
In the last picture behind the truck turning sign the first bricks have arrived on the site. Toronto red as usual.

Uncle Teddy
2008-Nov-11, 13:07
I'm really looking forward to the cladding on this one. One of my favourite projects at this point.

3Dementia
2008-Nov-11, 15:54
VU is proof-positive you can help change a neighbourhood with good design, good massing and good materials... in lieu of towering, famous alternative approaches.

ProjectEnd
2008-Nov-11, 17:33
http://lh6.google.com/udo.dengler2/R7dTyJxCGQI/AAAAAAAANik/OjisNsPQUZ4/s800/UDO_0660ps.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2634.jpg

So am I just looking at this wrong, or did we get cheated out of the 'random' columns. Are they just 'show' columns which will be tacked on later? If so then too bad, they really were what gave this project a little extra 'oomf' for me.

Anyone? Ed?

Edward Skira
2008-Nov-11, 17:43
^ Cheated. Can't see them adding new columns at this point.

khristopher
2008-Nov-12, 02:39
The Cheapening™ attacks again!

b_bear
2008-Nov-12, 07:34
ohhh booo!!

I have always loved this project it's too bad they cheaped out like that, it looked cool in the model!

does anyone have a floor plan for the penthouse? I bet it's really nice!

Automation Gallery
2008-Nov-12, 08:27
The Cheapening™ attacks again!

To bad,those angled columns looked sharp.

p5connex
2008-Nov-12, 09:36
They also cut-off half of the driveway- not that they don't, or should I say didn't look good.

p5

Solaris
2008-Nov-12, 10:49
ohhh booo!!

I have always loved this project it's too bad they cheaped out like that, it looked cool in the model!

does anyone have a floor plan for the penthouse? I bet it's really nice!

I think AR has all the PH floorplans posted on the website:

http://www.vuliving.ca/ (http://www.vuliving.ca/)

VDub
2008-Nov-24, 18:12
Hello everybody...

I'm brand spanking new to this site and this is my first post...

I happen to be working on this job as one of the crane operators...

That's me up there in the red Pecco...

I always wondered who these ppl were taking pictures of our job sites and now I know...

I look forward to being a member of this forum...

3Dementia
2008-Nov-24, 18:16
And we look forward to your next promotion.... or at least, a time when you are "higher up"!

Cheers.

Solaris
2008-Nov-24, 18:18
welcome to UT VDub ... now that you know ... you are a part of our little 'Circle of Trust' .... haha :D

keep those pics comin'

detroitbootybass
2008-Nov-24, 19:01
Hello everybody...

I always wondered who these ppl were taking pictures of our job sites and now I know...

Welcome, VDub!

Glad to have you as a member of the site!

:)

P.S. - Some shots from your high perch would really make us smile!

taal
2008-Nov-24, 19:21
I took a walk around the King / Adelaide - Jarvis / Sherbourne.

This area is coming along very nicely - quite a nice mix of the new and the old - George Brown dominates the area ... in a good way - and with Projects like Rezen and the like which really incorporate themselves into the neighborhood well (still adding something new at the same time). There's quite a lot of interesting retail on King East to top it off. Moreover, there's a Toronto community housing project (very large one) closer to the Sherbourne and Adelaide that's very nice (still under construction) looks better then most Condos we see going up! You kinda wonder if with the budget they're probably working with they can build something that seems that nice why can't other developers.

One thing that you'll you'll notice here more then many other areas is gentrification to the extreme ... which may or may not be a good thing.

So if you walk up to Richmond it kinda serves as a buffer from a poorer area to the North / East to one developing / becoming richer to the South / East. I got asked for money a few times on Richmond while noticing the relatively new condos on the street ... going south to Adelaide it's quite a bit more upscale. Either way it's clearly an area in transition.

The whole St. Lawrence Market neighborhood is very beautiful - hopefully we'll see continued intensification in the area as we are now.

marcus_a_j
2008-Nov-24, 20:24
I always wanted to be a crane operator. Looking forward to seeing some photos from above (and of other sites)

DSC
2008-Nov-25, 11:15
The whole St. Lawrence Market neighborhood is very beautiful - hopefully we'll see continued intensification in the area as we are now.
I was going to say that I could not think of too many possible sites in the Market area (whch I define as Richmond to the railway and Church to Sherbourne) but there are actually quite a few possibilities. No doubt others will see more! I can think of the following possible sites.
a. Lower Jarvis/Esplanade. This is where Market Wharf is going (if they ever start.)
b. Block of Front, Princess, Esplanade, Lower Sherbourne where there is a carpark, a car dealer and the newish Sobeys.
c. The block at Colbourne/Church King - which is trying to get a zoning change.
d. 251 King Street East - where they are trying to get a zoning change. (SE Corner of King/Sherbourne.)
e. 105 George Street - opposite Vu.

Conrad Black
2008-Nov-25, 12:03
F. Parking lot on north side of Richmond facing St James Park
G. Parking lot on the corner of Court St and Church facing St James Church

smuncky
2008-Nov-25, 15:26
Hello everybody...

another TA coming onto UT? ;)

hope to see some cool pics from the great vantage point that you get in the crane.

CityPlaceN1
2008-Dec-08, 11:48
Brick on the Richmond side looks great.

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 12:07
another TA coming onto UT? ;)

hope to see some cool pics from the great vantage point that you get in the crane.

LOL...

I had a feeling...

Is Extasie on here too???

And I took some shots two weeks ago but the forum went down so I couldn't post...

Will do so when I get home...

detroitbootybass
2008-Dec-08, 18:04
I took some shots two weeks ago but the forum went down so I couldn't post...

:D

Yay!

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 19:32
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3836/vu8pg3.jpg

Preparing to start a slab...

George St side...

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 19:36
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6411/vu5ko5.jpg

My crane...# 3...from crane 1

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 19:40
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6028/vu3sg1.jpg

Summer time...

I lost this view to the north as you can see in the next pic...

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3567/vu9ep3.jpg

Crane 1 flying tables...
View from crane 3...

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 19:42
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1375/vu7ch5.jpg

3 of us pouring concrete at the same time in the same area...

VDub
2008-Dec-08, 19:46
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8404/vu10ud7.jpg

Crane 2...

Red Kroll luffer in the background was taken down on the weekend...

Not sure what project that is...

yyzer
2008-Dec-08, 19:48
These are great pics, VDub....thx!

casaguy
2008-Dec-08, 19:53
VDub these are amazing! Thanks for sharing your very unique view... and welcome to the forum!

smuncky
2008-Dec-08, 20:31

he sure is.

thanks for the pics.

cdr108
2008-Dec-09, 01:34
Thanks for the great pics VDub.

You'll be pouring my suite soon :-)

Solaris
2008-Dec-09, 11:16
great stuff VDub !! keep em' rolling (or pouring I guess ~) :D

Edward
2008-Dec-09, 11:48
VDub,

Are the holes that are left after the crane has been jacked up filled in?

VDub
2008-Dec-09, 12:53
VDub,

Are the holes that are left after the crane has been jacked up filled in?

Yes exactly...

detroitbootybass
2008-Dec-09, 17:33
Thank you so much for sharing your photos!

So your crane is the south tower one?

VDub
2008-Dec-10, 09:03
Thank you so much for sharing your photos!

So your crane is the south tower one?

No. Mine is the one closest to the main intersection...

The red crane...

cdr108
2008-Dec-10, 15:35

VDub would be here ^^^.
I don't see any cab for you to sit in?

khristopher
2008-Dec-10, 16:19
You don't? I do. It's right against the vertical part.

cdr108
2008-Dec-10, 16:25
My bad, I see it now :-)

detroitbootybass
2008-Dec-10, 16:58

VDub would be here ^^^.

Yeah, that's the corner of Jarvis and Adelaide (unless I am seriously mistaken) where the south tower will be located.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5689/capturesq1.jpg

VDub
2008-Dec-10, 19:52
Yeah, that's the corner of Jarvis and Adelaide (unless I am seriously mistaken) where the south tower will be located.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5689/capturesq1.jpg

Well...technically, the luffer is further south than I am...

By about 50 feet...

We'll call me the south/west...

Ok???

exstasie
2008-Dec-12, 14:09
LOL...

I had a feeling...
And I took some shots two weeks ago but the forum went down so I couldn't post...

I'm here! Welcome to UT!

Nice. I actually own a condo at VU!

Thanks for the pics :D

I posted a pic of where my condo is. I can't remember exactly which one it is, but its one those I circled! Make sure you do a good job. I'll buy you a drink next time I see you if its good haha

AJ introduced me to you earlier this year...maybe at LoL? It was at an all-access event, but can't remember.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5783/vuzq8.jpg

This one is actually a better View. I'm one of the middle ones there.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_2632.jpg

current
2008-Dec-14, 01:14
December 11

Adelaide and Jarvis.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/3106603590_1da5d551b3_b.jpg

VDub
2008-Dec-16, 22:10
Just climbed my crane today...

Another 15 feet up...

And windows are being installed on the north side...

cdr108
2008-Dec-17, 13:16
Just climbed my crane today...

Another 15 feet up...

And windows are being installed on the north side...

Holy sh*t ... do you climb that everyday to get up there?
What happens when it reaches 10+s high?

khristopher
2008-Dec-17, 17:17
LOL. They go up the construction elevator, and then climb the crane. The crane doesn't just keep getting taller. Look up how cranes work on google :)

VDub
2008-Dec-18, 22:03
Holy sh*t ... do you climb that everyday to get up there?
What happens when it reaches 10+s high?

Yes I climb it every day...

But from the top floor of the building...

What I meant in my last post was that we jacked the crane up...

As the building goes up, the crane climbs up with it...

I actually am pretty lucky with this crane...

I see some that are 300' free standing...and the poor guy has to climb the whole thing...

My first crane was 16 floors up free standing which I had to climb for about 6 months...

That was One Sherway....

Edward Skira
2008-Dec-18, 22:30
Glass and steel cladding starting to appear on the Richmond side on the first floor of the setback.

urbandreamer
2008-Dec-23, 20:39
Glass cladding appears as I drive by this afternoon:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC01896.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC01895.jpg

udo
2008-Dec-28, 15:00
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/3144954808_14bc33a006_b.jpg

Follow this link (http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?id=14271) to zoom in (double-click on point of interest) and out (shift double-click).

simuls
2008-Dec-28, 22:46
Cool! Thanks.

Solaris
2009-Jan-07, 11:37
work underway on north tower's 15th floor ... I find the brick used a little dark (a lighter shade of brown would have been nice IMO)

North Tower - east view
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3072.jpg

North Tower - northeast view
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3073.jpg

CityPlaceN1
2009-Jan-07, 11:39
I love the brick used for the base. Very classy. Compare it to the crappy looking brick on the building to the left in the first picture.

exstasie
2009-Jan-07, 11:42
I love the brick used for the base. Very classy. Compare it to the crappy looking brick on the building to the left in the first picture.

+1

It looks so much cleaner and more attractive from afar.

Edward Skira
2009-Jan-07, 11:47
I walk by every day and I just love the base. Both the brick and the height of the podium are excellent. Every point tower should have at least a four story podium that's right up to the street.

detroitbootybass
2009-Jan-07, 19:54
I like it so far!

urbandreamer
2009-Jan-11, 18:33
I walked all around the View:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00281.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00292.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00294.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00297-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00299-2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00300-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00306.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00307-2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00311-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00312.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/urbandreamer4ever/constructionpixtorontobyurbandreamer4ever/DSC00313.jpg

It's attractive, but personally, I prefer George Brown students...:)

barrytron3030
2009-Jan-11, 18:37
i often wonder whether projects like VU and London, which are located in heritage neighbourhoods, should even attempt to match the brickwork of their surrounding buildings.

generally, i think it looks nice, but certainly not as nice as their older counterparts. if they didnt strive for continuity they could employ much more refined, or dynamic cladding material.

i say this mostly because in cabbagetown, they just built this townhouse/ starbucks which uses fake, "weathered" brick in 'honour' i suppose of the neighbourhood. i find it kinda gross.

Edward Skira
2009-Jan-13, 12:45
Local ratepayer groups push the developers to make their building fit in. Hence the use of red brick on the lower levels of most of the buildings going up here.

North tower looks to be topped off.

udo
2009-Jan-25, 10:48
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3224800602_fd0857c462_b.jpg

lxmoss
2009-Jan-25, 11:53
Nice shot. Which building is this taken from and how do I get up? :)

jamesnumber2
2009-Jan-25, 12:59
I would say from the CN tower.

khristopher
2009-Jan-25, 14:30
Looks more like it's from one of the TD buildings.

grey
2009-Jan-25, 23:24
I'd say CN Tower as well, based on this photo taken in the same direction by someone else, zoomed out:

http://flickr.com/photos/fragpot/3213433087/sizes/l/

Sir Novelty Fashion
2009-Jan-25, 23:58
i say this mostly because in cabbagetown, they just built this townhouse/ starbucks which uses fake, "weathered" brick in 'honour' i suppose of the neighbourhood. i find it kinda gross.

Well, fake "weathered" brick IS gross, no doubt about it. So is styro-brick affixed to the wall with a staple-gun. But nothing wrong with nice fresh brick to complement the nice, weathered brick opposite. I'm a great fan of the way London turned out.

udo
2009-Jan-26, 11:57
Nice detective work by jamesnumber2 and grey. The photo was indeed taken from the CN Tower.

CityPlaceN1
2009-Jan-26, 12:46
Great shot!

adamg
2009-Jan-26, 13:47
Doesn't look like there's much progress in the south building. Hasn't it been on the fourth or fifth floor for a while now?

exstasie
2009-Jan-26, 14:50
Doesn't look like there's much progress in the south building. Hasn't it been on the fourth or fifth floor for a while now?

It was on the second/third floor about a month ago. So there is a bit of progress being made.

exstasie
2009-Jan-28, 10:49
So i've seen people walking around with Vu Re-Usable bags...

Where did they get them from? Did they get them at the Show house? or did they sign up for them somewhere...

If someone knows, I would Love to get my hands on one!

Thanks.

Uncle Teddy
2009-Jan-28, 11:39
They used to hand them out at the old sales centre. When they shut down the old sales centre they must have had lots of them left so they distributed them outside St Lawrence Market.

CityPlaceN1
2009-Jan-28, 11:40
Try the current sales centre. They may have some left.

ProjectEnd
2009-Jan-31, 19:04
Taken yesterday.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3351/3241762681_723e848299.jpg

Granny
2009-Jan-31, 20:18
Just happened to be looking at the post from urban dreamer with the great photos.
That second photo with the gold/copper coloured SUV going by in the foreground..
Would that be a Saturn 'Vue'?
Now what would be the odds that?! LOL!

Torontovibe
2009-Feb-01, 23:49
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a1FEB1007.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a3.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a4FEB1005.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a5FEB1002.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a65FEB1004.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a9FEB1013.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a12FEB1011.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a10FEB1014.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a15FEB1015.jpg

cdr108
2009-Feb-02, 02:43
Thanks for the pics Torontovibe.

Nice to see that glass is being installed.
I'm curious as to why they started on what seems like the 5th floor?
Is it to prevent any possible damage to the glass during construction with the lower floors?

Architecturefan
2009-Feb-02, 08:10
^^^ since they're partially cladding the lower levels in brick, my guess would be that they have to get that in place before installing any glass

catcher_of_cats
2009-Feb-02, 09:49
Projects like Vu have helped to remove most of the parking lots in the core and create a 'proper' street wall.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3247656414_32e4bcb7bf_o.jpg

DSC
2009-Feb-02, 09:56
Projects like Vu have helped to remove most of the parking lots in the core and create a 'proper' street wall.

Though I agree that fewer street parking lots in the city is a good development it should be noted that VU is NOT built on a former parking lot - the site used to be Goodwill. (OK, between demolition of Goodwill and the start of construction there WAS a parking lot on the site.) It would be great to see some of the long-term parking lots developed, there are still FAR too many in downtown Toronto.

catcher_of_cats
2009-Feb-02, 10:01
There should definitely be some parking structures built, especially in the east downtown. The parking lots I was referring to was not Vu specifically but parking lots in general which once littered the inner city like coffee cups on a highway median.

Tewder
2009-Feb-02, 10:23
... however it's also nice to see low density, low rise buildings in the core being replaced, especially when they're not particularly attractive, historic or interesting in any way. I can't remember the Goodwill building but I don't think it stood out in any way. Vu is definitely an improvement.

Edward
2009-Feb-02, 11:42
Goodwill did have some surface parking.

cdr108
2009-Feb-02, 12:18
IIRC, Goodwill was a 1 storey building that encompassed the whole block from Jarvis/Adelaide/George st.

There was surface parking but it was minimal, maybe 20 spaces.

DSC
2009-Feb-02, 13:10
IIRC, Goodwill was a 1 storey building that encompassed the whole block from Jarvis/Adelaide/George st. There was surface parking but it was minimal, maybe 20 spaces.

There were actually three connected Goodwill buildings. A one (or two?) storey older building at Adelaide and George with bulk clothing and bulk shoes; a 4-5 storey newish building further up George to Richmond used as offices and a 2 or 3 storey 1970s building at the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis which housed the main Goodwill store. The parking lot was really for customers of the store only and was on Jarvis and there was a loading dock area off George. In my opinion none of these buildings were of any architectural or historic value and VU is CLEARLY a great improvement.

adma
2009-Feb-02, 21:17
There were actually three connected Goodwill buildings. A one (or two?) storey older building at Adelaide and George with bulk clothing and bulk shoes; a 4-5 storey newish building further up George to Richmond used as offices and a 2 or 3 storey 1970s building at the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis which housed the main Goodwill store. The parking lot was really for customers of the store only and was on Jarvis and there was a loading dock area off George. In my opinion none of these buildings were of any architectural or historic value and VU is CLEARLY a great improvement.

The Adelaide + George building *could* have been judged of architectural merit, for its Deco proto-functionalism...

ProjectEnd
2009-Feb-02, 22:21
Luckily, Google Maps' photos of the area display all of the old buildings in question.

Link (http://maps.google.ca/maps?near=145+queen+street+east+toronto&q=&f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1)

Solaris
2009-Feb-03, 12:20
Vu North Tower (from George St)
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3291.jpg

Southwest View
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3292.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3293.jpg

Tewder
2009-Feb-03, 12:33
Adds a nice hard edge to the park too.

Edward Skira
2009-Feb-03, 12:37
The only issue I have with this one is that the Adelaide side should have been set back from the street a bit more. I've seen a bunch of accidents at Adelaide and George over the years as cars race down Adelaide and can't see someone coming from George St.

exstasie
2009-Feb-03, 12:39
The only issue I have with this one is that the Adelaide side should have been set back from the street a bit more. I've seen a bunch of accidents at Adelaide and George over the years as cars race down Adelaide and can't see someone coming from George St.

nice. Should have some decent street entertainment then when I'm bored.

cdr108
2009-Feb-03, 15:07

There's a street light there now, so that should minimize the accidents - unless you're running a red light.

VDub
2009-Feb-04, 19:28
Luckily, Google Maps' photos of the area display all of the old buildings in question.

Link (http://maps.google.ca/maps?near=145+queen+street+east+toronto&q=&f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1)

Thanx for reminding me...

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6664/77771926zb9.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77771926zb9.jpg)
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/77771926zb9.jpg/1/w320.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img134/77771926zb9.jpg/1/)

CityPlaceN1
2009-Feb-06, 12:03
I noticed a passageway under the west side of the north tower leading to the courtyard. Will this be open to the public?

DSC
2009-Feb-06, 12:21
I noticed a passageway under the west side of the north tower leading to the courtyard. Will this be open to the public?

It was supposed to be an open pedestrian passageway (from George to Jarvis) but the columns were supposed to be at 45 degree angle too so ....

CityPlaceN1
2009-Feb-06, 12:23
Actually the one I'm talking about leads south from Richmond. Its next to the Salvation Army's loading area.

DSC
2009-Feb-06, 17:49

Actually the one I'm talking about leads south from Richmond. Its next to the Salvation Army's loading area.

As far as I could see this is the entrance to the underground parking and there is no real pedestrian route, It seems now that one could LOOK, but not walk, through. I couldn't see too clearly as I was on the north side of Richmond.

ProjectEnd
2009-Feb-06, 20:34
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/a65FEB1004.jpg

http://lh5.google.com/udo.dengler2/R7dTz5xCGSI/AAAAAAAANi0/-im57Enj6fk/s800/UDO_0663ps.jpg

barrytron3030
2009-Feb-06, 20:42
that's a terrific rendering. much more detailed and dynamic than the previous ones. this is turning out to be a great project.

Hypnotoad
2009-Feb-08, 21:59
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3264508419_3b1c38c57f_b.jpg

exstasie
2009-Feb-13, 16:50
Just got a courrier package from Aspen Ridge Today.

My place was delayed until February 18th, 2009 (Original was May 18th, 2008).

You can see my place here:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3293.jpg

Solaris
2009-Feb-13, 17:57
I'm confused exstasie ... Aspen Ridge 'just' sent you package now saying your suite picture above would be ready in 5 days ??? :confused:

Vu certainly looks substantially incomplete to me, just a shell structure at best ~ maybe just that I have high standards or expectations for a condo suite... :D

Edward Skira
2009-Feb-13, 18:10
Some nice looking stone going up on the George Street side near Adelaide.

smuncky
2009-Feb-13, 18:27
I'm confused exstasie ... Aspen Ridge 'just' sent you package now saying your suite picture above would be ready in 5 days ??? :confused:

Vu certainly looks substantially incomplete to me, just a shell structure at best ~ maybe just that I have high standards or expectations for a condo suite... :D

maybe he got a good deal on it without any of the usual amenities like drywall, flooring and running water. or maybe he likes the minimalist look.

cdr108
2009-Feb-13, 22:26
Just got a courrier package from Aspen Ridge Today.

My place was delayed until February 18th, 2009 (Original was May 18th, 2008).

Do you mean until February 18, 2010 from an original date of May 18,2009???

IIRC you're on the 2nd floor but to be ready to move in within a week is NOWAY possible !!??!!

That puts new meaning to the term 'occupancy date'.

Hydrogen
2009-Feb-13, 23:27
If he is moving in five days he better have a good pen. His list of deficiencies will be long.

exstasie
2009-Feb-14, 12:09
haha..thanks guy!

I ran into smuncky last night and was informed of your wonderful comments lol

and yes, I meant 2010, but hey, I could just tent it in there.

It beats commuting to downtown everyday :D

urbandreamer
2009-Feb-24, 01:19
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7204/dsc01604e.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/901/dsc01608.jpg

Towered
2009-Feb-24, 18:52
Bombay Palace...mmmm...

Tewder
2009-Feb-25, 10:16
Is that poor carpet warehouse still going out of business? Has been for some ten years I believe :)

T-Squared
2009-Feb-25, 13:25
the photo is blurry, but looooove the red brick action, and the vertical windows on the side.

exstasie
2009-Feb-25, 15:39
Bombay Palace...mmmm...

Is it any good?

grey
2009-Feb-27, 01:52
Yeah, it's good (http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/bombaypalace).

Redroom Studios
2009-Feb-27, 10:49
Is that poor carpet warehouse still going out of business? Has been for some ten years I believe :)

its actually a fairly common marketing strategy I'd say.

whatever
2009-Feb-27, 15:02
Rasan's on Yonge south of Carlton has been going out of business for years. At one point they even had a sign up that had words to the effect of "Store closing on ___________" and then they would tape a new date into the blank every couple weeks. Some of their closing signage is actually sunfaded.

sterdeus
2009-Feb-27, 17:36
Is it any good?

I dont think its good. The food is bland and ordinary.

Also, at the location in the picture, my coworkers and I were insulted. Not once, but twice by the same waiter on the dress attire we wear to work every day. Apparently it looked like we were "going on a picnic"

cdr108
2009-Feb-27, 18:54
Rasan's on Yonge south of Carlton has been going out of business for years. At one point they even had a sign up that had words to the effect of "Store closing on ___________" and then they would tape a new date into the blank every couple weeks. Some of their closing signage is actually sunfaded.

I believe this type of action would be considered false/misleading advertising and subject to fines ... I think it's the Competition Bureau.(or something like that).

found the link: http://www.cb-bc.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/h_00529.html

Towered
2009-Feb-27, 19:10
I dont think its good. The food is bland and ordinary.

There's no such thing as bland Indian food.

adma
2009-Feb-27, 23:58
Does that President's Choice Naan that G2 Weston was hawking count?

cdr108
2009-Feb-28, 02:11
Does that President's Choice Naan that G2 Weston was hawking count?

Isn't naan always bland ??!!??

emacs
2009-Feb-28, 22:44
the south / southwest views from high above street level will be quite impressive from this place.

Edward Skira
2009-Mar-04, 12:39
North crane is coming down.

detroitbootybass
2009-Mar-04, 15:27
North crane is coming down.

Wow... already?

cdr108
2009-Mar-04, 15:31
Wow... already?

North tower is only 15s, while south tower is 25s so that will probably still be going up in the summer.

detroitbootybass
2009-Mar-04, 16:07
North tower is only 15s, while south tower is 25s so that will probably still be going up in the summer.

Ah, right.

I forgot that the North was the shorty.

neilm46
2009-Mar-06, 13:37
Checked the list of of units still for sale on the window of the
sales office on Friday (sales office closed). Why are they having
such a hard time selling the nu lofts. The price per sq. ft seems good
at $400 per sq.ft. The unit size around 800 sq. ft. would be
fairly popular. Facing south west would be in the direction of
the park sounds good. Layout problem?

mtrcycl
2009-Mar-06, 13:59
Checked the list of of units still for sale on the window of the
sales office on Friday (sales office closed). Why are they having
such a hard time selling the nu lofts. The price per sq. ft seems good
at $400 per sq.ft. The unit size around 800 sq. ft. would be
fairly popular. Facing south west would be in the direction of
the park sounds good. Layout problem?

I personally thought the layouts were inefficient and narrow.

Solaris
2009-Mar-06, 14:25
which includes long meandering hallways ... hence wasted sq.ft.

cdr108
2009-Mar-06, 14:38
ditto all the above.

IIRC those floorplans are long and narrow with interior bedrooms.
They can be vued (pun) here under suites:

http://www.vuliving.ca/

ProjectEnd
2009-Mar-07, 03:55
Crane down.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3554/3334822082_5dd6e40c79_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/3333998805_24649e59b4_b.jpg

lxmoss
2009-Mar-15, 23:01
March 15th 2009 Update

http://www.canlight.ca/urbantoronto/tour3.jpg

cdr108
2009-Mar-16, 00:02
^^^^

Is that the 7th floor of south tower?

ProjectEnd
2009-Mar-16, 02:03
Being poured, yes.

drum118
2009-Mar-16, 21:59
From March 13

From Yonge St
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0117.jpg

From King St
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0125.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0117.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0127.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0128.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0129.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0131.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0132.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0133.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0135.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0136.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0137.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0139.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0140.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0142.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0143.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0145.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0146.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0148.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0149.jpg

ProjectEnd
2009-Mar-16, 22:37
Great set of updates today, thanks drum!

I'm hoping, nay, praying (though religious I am not), that the slanted columns get put in later as an appliqué (though its rather lame they're not structural). They could really make this little walkway something special. My hope is based a render which suggests this on the HP website. Except for one, all the slanted columns in said render end in some sort of 'feature,' a small pond, a stone wall, and my hope is that the columns are added along with them.

cdr108
2009-Mar-16, 22:38
From March 13

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0135.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0136.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/march/2009_03_13/IMG_03-13-09-0137.jpg

Thanks DF, the pics look great.

I didn't realize they were going to do 2 different styles of brick work for the THs. It looks like the ones part of the South Tower look greyish, while the ones from the North Tower are using the red brick like the rest of the project.

Towered
2009-Mar-17, 14:11
From Yonge this will be quite the VU terminus.

Tuscani01
2009-Mar-19, 21:39
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/canadian_gino87/103_3013.jpg

Solaris
2009-Mar-23, 02:41
Vu North Tower seen from Queen Street~
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/IMG_3590.jpg

Calrissian
2009-Apr-13, 15:15
I was noticing yesterday, while observing the progress on VU, that while most units were separated by a concrete wall, some didn't appear so, and had only support concrete columns up.

Is it not standard practice to divide units with full concrete walls?

If not, how do they sound proof?

condovo
2009-Apr-13, 16:17
I was noticing yesterday, while observing the progress on VU, that while most units were separated by a concrete wall, some didn't appear so, and had only support concrete columns up.

If not, how do they sound proof?
Based on my observation of the construction of Edge Loft by Streetcar Developments, concrete walls separating units does not appear to be standard practice. That entire building seems to be made of drywall, other than the floor-plates and the outer 4 walls. As for soundproofing, it is a problem. I'm acquaintances with someone who purchased a condo at 22 Wellesley and was able to hear the clanging of his neighbours' cutlery at mealtimes. He moved out (temporarily) and went on to spend about $20,000 to properly soundproof his unit. Luckily for him, he had the resources for such an obscene expense. Moral of the story: Buyer Beware.

Rusty
2009-Apr-13, 17:18
While I am not familiar with "standard practise" in condo construction I know that a relatively thin panel of concrete is not a good barrier to sound. The sound bridges through the concrete to the other side quite readily. Even concrete floors are subject to sound bridging. A condo above which has no floor covering is subject to bothersome noise from high heel use for example. One of the attractive aspects of engineerd flooring is that it floats on a foam type separation barrier reducing sound bridging.

Where sound is a concern between units normally two stud walls are built with a small space between them so that sound does not bridge. There is also a product in all lumber stores called resiliant channel. One side goes on the stud and the other on the drywall, again to prevent sound bridging. The OBC requires the use of this product between certain occupancies.

There are more exotic materials on the market for example Sound Divide. This drywall has a metal layer covered with a polymer. Sound energy is converted to heat energy providing the equivalent to 4 or 5 layers of drywall. There are more heavy duty materials for tougher applications. The treatment of sound in residential occupancies is a science in itself and this discussion only skims the surface.

condovo
2009-Apr-13, 17:46
Excellent post, Rusty. Very informative. Thanks.

ProjectEnd
2009-Apr-13, 20:47
As exciting as that all is...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNJOeLyKI/AAAAAAAAAcE/dR1RJhnQAzM/s640/April.13.2009%20013.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNNPwDIII/AAAAAAAAAcM/v39_FPjyVD0/s640/April.13.2009%20014.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNRzGDFDI/AAAAAAAAAcU/OefZuuqKEAo/s640/April.13.2009%20015.jpg

Sadly, a sales rep informed me that there will be no skewed columns.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNUu12PKI/AAAAAAAAAcc/SBaRfoj2HTg/s640/April.13.2009%20017.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNs44WuOI/AAAAAAAAAdk/aW6TQR053Tk/s640/April.13.2009%20029.jpg

Model Pics.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNXanJEgI/AAAAAAAAAck/wggHY9j27jE/s640/April.13.2009%20019.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNaROi7jI/AAAAAAAAAcs/kLr1dxMOw7I/s1024/April.13.2009%20020.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNeC7NeoI/AAAAAAAAAc0/1ZFz3jZ-NUI/s640/April.13.2009%20021.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNgUBw_uI/AAAAAAAAAc8/jLVKHXdb6zM/s640/April.13.2009%20022.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNi2OwxFI/AAAAAAAAAdE/5C-r1JvUrGg/s512/April.13.2009%20023.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNlLg2_WI/AAAAAAAAAdM/HY1C5R1xgCU/s512/April.13.2009%20024.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNnUx3WZI/AAAAAAAAAdU/4kj4vP_Z3M4/s512/April.13.2009%20025.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FSXF6jLhP8U/SePNqDZwh4I/AAAAAAAAAdc/IMD9JS4NK9M/s640/April.13.2009%20026.jpg

41stfloor
2009-Apr-14, 09:04
Thanks for the pics, ProjectEnd.

I'm still not sure what I think of the ground level treatment at the corner of Jarvis and Adelaide. I think I would have preferred something more solid than the high and wide gap that will be there. When I originally heard about the rehabilitation of this block, I was quite excited. I'm still quite enamormed with the project and how thoroughly it will improve this block. However, for me, the other side meets the street in a more friendly way, even with driveway entrance and the lack of skewed posts (which, frankly, I prefer).

Tewder
2009-Apr-14, 09:12
I see your concern. Then again maybe the 'gap' will feel like a sort of archway? Not sure, will have to see it finished and in context. Otherwise I think this is quite a nice design and creates a sense of entrance to St. James Park from the east. I will also miss the slanted columns, they added a nice little detail, and hope they will plant those trees!

41stfloor
2009-Apr-14, 09:22
I see your concern. Then again maybe the 'gap' will feel like a sort of archway? Not sure, will have to see it finished and in context. Otherwise I think this is quite a nice design and creates a sense of entrance to St. James Park from the east. I will also miss the slanted columns, they added a nice little detail, and hope they will plant those trees!

Yes, it definitely will provide a good viewpoint from the interior courtyard into the park and vice versa. You've got a good point that it will create a sense of entrance from the park. Likely this is what Pontarini had in mind. But from a pedestrian's point of view on the sidewalk other than near the park (or driver's POV, as this is still very much an intersection of fast moving traffic), I wonder if it will feel somehow less friendly. I'll withhold further judgement until it's completed.

I hope those trees get planted, too, and not just scraggly little ones with no proper soil or room for roots to grow, as the area east of Jarvis needs greenery! :)

Granny
2009-Apr-14, 10:06
I noticed a couple of lower units over at London were created by simply inserting good old fashioned concrete block walls. I was surpised at that and wondered if there was a possible design change after the precast walls had been poured as the building went up.

While I am not familiar with "standard practise" in condo construction I know that a relatively thin panel of concrete is not a good barrier to sound. The sound bridges through the concrete to the other side quite readily. Even concrete floors are subject to sound bridging. A condo above which has no floor covering is subject to bothersome noise from high heel use for example. One of the attractive aspects of engineerd flooring is that it floats on a foam type separation barrier reducing sound bridging.

Where sound is a concern between units normally two stud walls are built with a small space between them so that sound does not bridge. There is also a product in all lumber stores called resiliant channel. One side goes on the stud and the other on the drywall, again to prevent sound bridging. The OBC requires the use of this product between certain occupancies.

There are more exotic materials on the market for example Sound Divide. This drywall has a metal layer covered with a polymer. Sound energy is converted to heat energy providing the equivalent to 4 or 5 layers of drywall. There are more heavy duty materials for tougher applications. The treatment of sound in residential occupancies is a science in itself and this discussion only skims the surface.

Rusty
2009-Apr-14, 10:33
good old fashioned concrete block walls
Wall material choice may be affected by:

weight
foundation requirements
security needs
weather exposure and insulation requirements
structural requirements
mechanical raceways
conduit runs
fire separation requirements
trade availability etc.

and sound. Block walls are somewhat better than concrete as a noise barrier.

CityPlaceN1
2009-Apr-14, 11:37
A fine addition to the area.

condovo
2009-Apr-14, 21:04
This project is turning out beautifully so far. A vast improvement over the Goodwill building that was there before. I walked by the other night and though that the brickwork was particularly well done. Thanks for the pics.

Torontovibe
2009-Apr-14, 21:26
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/1aaSTLAWRENCE2-April11-09082.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/torontovibe/1aSTLAWRENCE2-April11-09086.jpg

condovo
2009-Apr-14, 21:28
Beautiful shots, TOvibe. Great colour. Thanks.

grey
2009-Apr-19, 04:02
This photo is brought to you today by black Honda Accords:

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/983/img40351.jpg

This photo made possible by silver cars, black cars, and viewers like you:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3509/img40401.jpg

drum118
2009-Apr-20, 00:11
April 18 from Church
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/april/2009_04_18/IMG_april-18-09-0269.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/april/2009_04_18/IMG_april-18-09-0267.jpg

catcher_of_cats
2009-Apr-20, 09:38
This project has forever changed (for the better I might add) the eastern downtown with its many terminating view points.

Conrad Black
2009-Apr-20, 11:40
I don't like that red brick section in the last picture.

lordmandeep
2009-Apr-23, 10:44
I think the east could develop a lot as the prices are cheaper...

Well the development has moved far along King...

It started on Queen...

However I think development should really go on Dundas.

It a rather bad street outside of the area from Spadina to Yonge.

Conrad Black
2009-Apr-23, 11:30
Looks like they are taking down the second crane leaving only one for the south tower.

urbandreamer
2009-Apr-23, 16:13
lordmandeep I think you're clueless lol!

Dundas St from Yonge to Spadina is mostly crap, but both East and West of there (Bathurst to Runnymede Rd; Broadview to Kingston Rd) it's actually much more interesting to us fake hipsters.:)

41stfloor
2009-Apr-23, 16:39
As this thread is about a develoment in the downtown area east of Yonge, I may be incorrect but I think lordmandeep was referring to the stretch of Dundas in the downtown east of Yonge. Certainly between Broadview and Yonge there is much that could be and is being/will be improved on Dundas. It used to be a bit of a wasteland through Regent's Park, but now that's changing a bit. Further east, it's sometimes a bit of an expressway. I used to live a few doors up from Dundas near Greenwood and cars certainly liked to zip along there at a quick pace.

lordmandeep
2009-Apr-23, 16:45
I have been on it and yes after the DVP it improves greatly...

Dundas has some bright spots after Spadina.

So I mean Dundas just east of Yonge. That's a crappy place.

VDub
2009-Apr-23, 20:30
Looks like they are taking down the second crane leaving only one for the south tower.

Yup...

Luffer came down today leaving just lil ol me...

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2101/imagecnp.jpg

I feel free..........

cdr108
2009-Apr-23, 20:38
Yup...

Luffer came down today leaving just lil ol me...

I feel free..........

So if we wave hello on the street, will you see us ? :D

BTW, is that the view of the 8th floor amenities space, etc?

SP!RE
2009-Apr-26, 21:54
I don't like that red brick section in the last picture.

I love it. We have enough buildings that are entirely glass.

Josef
2009-Apr-26, 22:52

I have to agree with the former post about not being fond of the red brick. It's a matter of taste, but I do think glass is timeless. You generally can't go wrong.

cdr108
2009-Apr-26, 22:58
I have to agree with the former post about not being fond of the red brick. It's a matter of taste, but I do think glass is timeless. You generally can't go wrong.

the brick was mandated by the st. lawrence historic committee (or whatever they call themselves).

besides, it's only the podium and i think it's a good compromise bc it's mostly glass above the 8th floor.

ganjavih
2009-Apr-27, 11:48

I agree. Especially for that part of town, the use of brick was a nice touch.

Wasn't this building supposed to be curvy though at one point?

3Dementia
2009-Apr-27, 12:11
I'd love see a bunch of Vu-style projects filling out the rest (non-Cityplace) of the Railway Lands West. Great massing, materials, proportions and street presence.

This sort of thing would also look great in the medium-rise parcels of the East Bayfront. The same type of design would look great with a yellow brick skirt as well (sort of a taller/heftier Market Square).

VDub
2009-Apr-27, 18:28
So if we wave hello on the street, will you see us ? :D

BTW, is that the view of the 8th floor amenities space, etc?

Um...If I see you, then yes...lol

Thats looking down on the south east corner...

JayBee
2009-Apr-27, 19:52
I agree... you really can't go wrong with red brick. I like glass too....cement and stucco are meh to me though.

exstasie
2009-Apr-28, 16:27
Um...If I see you, then yes...lol

Thats looking down on the south east corner...

I waived at you...you ignored me...

!!!!!

maestro
2009-Apr-28, 23:53

Yeah but, every single new building built or planned in the St Lawrence area has red brick. Just sayin', there are other (traditional ) brick colours .

cdr108
2009-Apr-29, 00:19
Yeah but, every single new building built or planned in the St Lawrence area has red brick. Just sayin', there are other (traditional ) brick colours .

it would be nice to see some of the newer projects use the traditional yellow brick around the st. lawrence area as a change.

Tewder
2009-Apr-29, 09:44
... and there is heritage precedent in the area for yellow brick:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/306081407_7389e27d8c.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/470241852_cb27093184_m.jpg

CityPlaceN1
2009-Apr-29, 11:51
I've noticed some black brick onsite at the East Lofts. Could they be doing something different there?

ProjectEnd
2009-Apr-29, 14:18
/\ Aside from the fact that it has been shown in all the renders? Good to get some confirmation though.

VDub
2009-May-02, 15:08
I waived at you...you ignored me...

!!!!!

No way dude...

Never...

casaguy
2009-May-02, 17:09
FIRE at VU!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4514.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4514.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4515.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4515.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4516.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4516.jpg)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4513.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4513.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4518.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4518.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4520.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4520.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4521.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4521.jpg)

Turns out it was just a garbage bin on the property... can't help but wonder who's to blame for that. (Someone tossing a cigarette?)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4512.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4512.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4522.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4522.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4523.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4523.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4524.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4524.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4528.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4528.jpg)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4529.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4529.jpg) http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/th_DSCN4531.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z133/markus919/2009/DSCN4531.jpg)

I'm really loving everything about this project. It fits so well here and the materials are looking very high end.

And the view! Those western facing units will have THE vu/view.

cdr108
2009-May-02, 20:48
NO, my home !

what's going on with AR?
first an earth mover falls into the basement of 77 Charles just the other day, and now this ???

fencejack
2009-May-04, 00:53
I was at the sales office a few days ago. I'm looking for a 1+den but everything that was on the price list did not have any walkout balconies, only the french style.

Anyone know when they plan to release suites, specifically 1+den, with walkout balconies?

thanks.

cdr108
2009-May-04, 01:11
I was at the sales office a few days ago. I'm looking for a 1+den but everything that was on the price list did not have any walkout balconies, only the french style.

Anyone know when they plan to release suites, specifically 1+den, with walkout balconies?

thanks.

I think they've released all their suites and are pretty much sold out, ... so what you see is what you get.

neilm46
2009-May-04, 12:24
How many square feet are the lockers in the North Tower selling
for $2,500? Is there a montly maintenace fee and realty taxes on
these lockers. If so how much initially?

drum118
2009-May-04, 12:37
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0009.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0012.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0014.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0019.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0020.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0021.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0026.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0028.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0031.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0043.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_02/IMG_april-02-09-0044.jpg

exstasie
2009-May-05, 22:33
How many square feet are the lockers in the North Tower selling
for $2,500? Is there a montly maintenace fee and realty taxes on
these lockers. If so how much initially?

There is only one size available. I don't think its very big though.

But yeah, you have to pay monthly maintenance fee on in and pretty sure realty tax. But since the SQ is so small its pretty much nothing...

drum118
2009-May-09, 02:13
Making it's mark in the distance from Duncan
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_08/IMG_may=09-09-0127.JPG

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_08/IMG_may=09-09-0128.JPG

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_08/IMG_may=09-09-0153.JPG

udo
2009-May-09, 17:10
There have been a lot of comments about the red brick and how great it looks. What I have not seen is any response to the green tinted glass that is being installed. Am I the only one who doesn't like it? Didn't sales models and renderings suggest clear glass being used?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/3477517670_bf268109d1_b.jpg

There was an interesting article by the architecture critic Lisa Rochon in the Globe and Mail about a year ago. I found a copy of it on her personal website (http://www.lisarochon.com/writing2.28.html). Here are some excerpts:

... Title: Tinting the sky to death one tower at a time

... Subtitle: Ubiquitous green glass has doomed our city buildings to darkness

... A sickly green patina has washed over the glass towers of our cities.

... It is the awful colour of hospital corridors and encroaching disease. Green-tinted glass has metastasized from Vancouver to Toronto to New York to Shanghai, dumbing down the exhilarating potential of the skyscraper, mortifying the skyline.

... Quoting James Carpenter, a New York-based glass designer: "Green glass has absolutely no response to the sky. These towers are occupying the sky plane, but, because they have a very distinct colour of their own, they don't have much of a reflectivity to them. They're really quite dead."

... Tinted glass is cheaper to buy than other clearer, crisper glass. That's because the glass that has swept the condominium market contains high levels of iron oxide, an impurity that exists in sand. The more iron you add to the glass the greener it becomes and the greater its ability to stop the transmission of infrared rays from the sun. The tint allows for the redirection of heat out of the building.

... Tinted glass, which typically transmits only about 15 per cent of natural light, got kick-started in the 1970s as a response to the energy crisis. So, while it became less expensive to heat buildings, the green glass required far greater use of artificial lighting to compensate for the near elimination of natural daylight.

... The challenge these days is to express an architecture that is not only technologically advanced but enticing to the eye. A popular device these days, coloured spandrels inserted horizontally into a glass curtain wall is a nice touch, but it's hardly interactive. For works of transcendence in glass look to American architect Steven Holl, just appointed to design, with Canadian associates Bortolotto Design Architect, a district energy building to fuel the new West Donlands neighbourhood in Toronto.

... Take away the tint of the glass tower and we start to see the sky for what it is: a changing, subtle landscape. Heavy with weather, inspiration and difference.

SP!RE
2009-May-09, 17:20
Green glass is quite humanizing I find. But like anything it needs to be used in moderation.

Automation Gallery
2009-May-09, 18:03
How tall is that Vu building that is seen at the end of Adelaide st. east going to be?:confused:

cdr108
2009-May-09, 18:10
How tall is that Vu building that is seen at the end of Adelaide st. east going to be?:confused:

25s, while the north tower is 15s.

neilm46
2009-May-10, 11:16
I agree. Those green windows are ugly. They are like those ugly yellow windows
on the Spire. There is no design layout to make it attractive.
They are put in a hodge podge manner. It looks like the installer forgot to order
enough clear glass windows and put in what ever they had lying around in the
warehouse. It was not shown this way in the showroom model or in any of the
brochures. Again we get screwed by the builder.

JayBee
2009-May-10, 11:40
I agree. Those green windows are ugly. They are like those ugly yellow windows
on the Spire. There is no design layout to make it attractive.
They are put in a hodge podge manner. It looks like the installer forgot to order
enough clear glass windows and put in what ever they had lying around in the
warehouse. It was not shown this way in the showroom model or in any of the
brochures. Again we get screwed by the builder.
The green is ugly but I like the yellow accents on the Spire building.

If the renders didn't show green glass then that's pretty unfortunate.

grey
2009-May-10, 14:18
If you guys are calling colour of Vu's glass green, then our beloved Spire is just as green.

grey
2009-May-10, 14:24
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8658/emotcolbertz.gif

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/3477517670_bf268109d1_b.jpg http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3897/mediafb4c835feb0a65cc39w.jpg (http://www.urbandb.com/img-wrap/media_fb4c835feb0a65cc39739320d7a51c02.jpg/index.html)

Have I blown your minds?

urbandreamer
2009-May-21, 23:14
^Mozo (and Rezen) wins this beauty contest hands down! Vu disappoints imho....:( Especially the completed tower, the green glass and dull brownish red brick make it look like a c.1998 Vancouver development. I've tried to show some better angles of this hulking beast today.

From Jarvis and Gerrard:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8204/dsc00294yev.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8833/dsc00298e.jpg

Sinfully ugly ain't it?

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9094/dsc00302l.jpg

More promising:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2067/dsc00304n.jpg

A much better vu:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3913/dsc00307j.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4518/dsc00312k.jpg

Tolerable if rather fake:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/561/dsc00311z.jpg

unForgettable vu!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7283/dsc00319f.jpg

Redroom Studios
2009-May-21, 23:22
great photo update UD! I'm coming into the city for Doors Open on Saturday, maybe I'll bump into you...

barrytron3030
2009-May-22, 02:49
a serious injection of brick and a unique building. can't wait for the tower.

ganjavih
2009-May-22, 22:50
What do you mean by "rather fake"?

urbandreamer
2009-May-22, 23:17
^Fake stone look. This complex is too fussy, trying too hard to please everyone. It's like those tacky brick and "stone" mcmansions they're building these days, with different facades facing the street and backyard. In the end, the result looks fake, aka, suburban, like the stone look was an afterthought. Mozo or Rezen down the street is a much better model to follow.

I'm beginning to realize Pontarini is used to designing homes for the nouveau riche rather than larger structures like Vu.

(Playing Hume here: Grade: C)

condovo
2009-May-24, 00:47
I think VU looks great. Nice materials. Polite, contextual, very Toronto, in the best sense. Wait until it's finished before passing final judgement, urbandreamer. I'm sure everything will be pulled together into a cohesive whole. Thanks for the pics.

drum118
2009-May-25, 17:35
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/may/2009_05_24/IMG_may-24-09-0170.JPG